Question about shifting on track - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-21-2009, 02:18 PM   #31
BadIdea
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6470
What I Drive: 02 Silver SVT 08 Tundra CrewMax

FF Reputation: 1 BadIdea Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
downshifting mid-corner is not ideal but occasionally it does happen (especially when you are still learning). without heel-toe, the jump in rpm can be enough to lock up the front wheels, or at least cause a decent jolt, inducing understeer and cause you to spear off the track. an extreme example but it can happen.
Have you ever been to a track? Funny stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #32

Fan#: 57330
What I Drive: 2004 red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 age Good Standing Member
yes i have been to the track, thanks. i'll do an in-car video nxt time i go, and post it up just for your entertainment.

and whats so funny about my example? when learning, many mistakes are made. one of which may include shifting mid-corner when it isnt nessesary. some corners however, force you to brake/ downshift and turn simultaneously. if you were really hammering it, shifting without heel-toe could very well be enough to break traction.

try rolling in 3rd gear at 4000 rpm. now drop it into 2nd without blipping the throttle. note the significant jerk. all im saying is that this is not what you want when you are setting up for a high commitment corner. and by heel-toeing, you can avoid much of this jolt, keeping your car settled as you enter the corner.

first time at the track, you have more than enough on your plate without the car jerking around just before a corner. so if you can heel-toe proficiently (or by 2nd nature as mlbbaseball says) by the time you get on the track, you will have one less thing to worry out.

first time i went, common questions asked by fellow track go-ers were "is it manual?" followed by "can you heel-toe?". i replied "yes" to both questions and they would reply "good". so i assumed heel-toe was a pretty normal thing to do on the track.

i realise i seem to have a difference in opinion with the rest of you. so if you think i am wrong (and thats absolutely fine), please say why and state your opinion as opposed to simply "you are so wrong." that doesnt help anyone.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #33
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
To be honest w/ you, i'm still not 100% comfortable w/ heal toe footwork on the track. on the street when you do it, you don't rev match to 5 or 6k. i can do it on a track, but sometimes i really have to focus!!! Heal toe is not something to take lightly. I have a pedal extension on mine that i put on mine (take off my svt break pedal cover) and it makes it a little easier to blip, but by no means is it easy. best thing to do is go around the track SLOWLY (not 10 mph, but most definitely not so close that ur getting slight oversteer at the apex) and try to get the feel for heal toe driving. do it safely. and start off by staying in one gear too high for the laps so ur not max accell, though you will be at WOT. this will allow you to heal toe no more than 4k rpm so 1, you don't blow ur tranny, and two, don't freakin kill urself!! And I totally agree w/ age, you don't want to even attempt to do this on a track unless u have a VERY good feel for it!! Its definitely a technique for the intermediate to advanced!!

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:32 AM   #34
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52390
What I Drive: '00 Zetec ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 kimbo305 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by age View Post
i realise i seem to have a difference in opinion with the rest of you. so if you think i am wrong (and thats absolutely fine), please say why and state your opinion as opposed to simply "you are so wrong." that doesnt help anyone.
Any amateur out on the track learning how to drive needs to be worrying about finding braking points, looking up, not jerking the wheel, tracking out properly, etc. If they have to brake earlier and do a normal downshift, it's better to do that than to throw heel-toe into the mix. There's simply far more basic things to be working on.

While I agree that you can certainly practice and have ready the technique of heel-toe before your first track day, there is no point for an instructor to ask the beginner to be working on that.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #35

Fan#: 57330
What I Drive: 2004 red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 age Good Standing Member
replying above 2 posts^^

yeah fair enough. good points. so i guess the general concensus is that you should know how to heel-toe before getting on the track, but dont try it till you're entirely comfortable with the track and have a decent grasp of the basics (smooth steering, racing lines, braking pts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbbaseball View Post
To be honest w/ you, i'm still not 100% comfortable w/ heal toe footwork on the track. i can do it on a track, but sometimes i really have to focus!!!
couldnt agree more. most of the time i get close enough with the rev matching but i find i screw up on the slower corners. if im not concentrating, i rev the engine up to around 5.5k coz thats what im used to hearing even though i only need 4k.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #36
BadIdea
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6470
What I Drive: 02 Silver SVT 08 Tundra CrewMax

FF Reputation: 1 BadIdea Good Standing Member
No, the point is just show up to the track with a helmet and fresh brake fluid. Heal/toe is not required.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #37
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52390
What I Drive: '00 Zetec ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 kimbo305 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIdea View Post
No, the point is just show up to the track with a helmet and fresh brake fluid. Heel/toe is not required.
Indeed. Either a beginner will be too timid to get near the limits of the car, or he'll be so wild the instructor will jump all over him and make him drive safely. There's not a lot to worry about except getting in your own head.

Bookmarks & Social Networks