Wiring LEDs up to a switch box - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-11-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
PreciousAngelJS25
Forced to move on...

Fan#: 10406
What I Drive: RIP: 2002 ZX5 LG "Sexi Rexi" :(

FF Reputation: 5 PreciousAngelJS25 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Wiring LEDs up to a switch box

OK, this is my plan for my LEDs when I get them. I plan to have a switch box with 4 switches above my CD player hooked up to my lights. I'm more than likely going to buy 4 Varad LEDs HERE but I have no clue where to get the switch box. Ive looked on eBay before and found some that were like what I wanted, but they dont seem to have them now. Does anyone know of a site with instructions on how to hook them up to the switch box and install the switch box....and maybe a site were i can buy a switch box??

thanks!!

Edit: I found this switch box on eBay: SWITCH BOX or SWITCH BOX w/LEDs

gumpcrew #13
HatchNation #122

\m/ (>.<) \m/

Last edited by PreciousAngelJS25; 08-11-2004 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2004, 03:09 PM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
I'd just make my own to be honest with you. You can easily make something to cover that space above your CD player (assuming you got a single DIN sized aftermarket one) and just put the switches in that. Also, switches are very easy to install. It's basic wiring, how come you are planning on 4 switches? One for each light seems like what you are planning. You basically just wire up the LEDs according to the instructions and wire up the switch along with it for each one.

I'll see if I can find a wiring diagram for you, back soon......
Old 08-11-2004, 03:40 PM   #3
PreciousAngelJS25
Forced to move on...

Thanks. Some of my friends said that it would be easy to make a switch box, but I didnt have a clue on where to start and they didnt seem to offer much help Yes I have a single DIN aftermarket HU, and I was planning on one switch per light, but then I started thinking after reading a few other threads, about hooking up 2 lights per switch (if that's possible) or hooking them up to my parking light switch like someone else said they were wanting to do. Thanks S2.

gumpcrew #13
HatchNation #122

\m/ (>.<) \m/
Old 08-11-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
XfocusX
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6997
What I Drive: 2k1 tw.blu.met se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 XfocusX Good Standing Member
still if possible get a diagram of the wiring up. i am interested on doing led's and would put two switches, one for the vent lights and one for footwell area lights. thanks in advance for the research.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:52 PM   #5
S2
Retired Fanatic

I would stay away from wiring them up to your parking light switch for the fact that interior neons/leds can get very annoying if your driving on the highway at night when it's really dark outside. I always have to shut my neons off inside the car when I am on the highway into the late hours. I never use my undercar neons for the record, I want to get rid of them actually.

I'll look for a wiring diagram right now......

Last edited by S2; 08-11-2004 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:56 PM   #6
XfocusX
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6997
What I Drive: 2k1 tw.blu.met se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 XfocusX Good Standing Member
what color undercars? i am not big on them but if you are cutting them loose chear i might be able to figuresomething out. four tubes or two?
Old 08-11-2004, 04:57 PM   #7
S2
Retired Fanatic

Can't find a wiring diagram yet but I will try to explain it.

You need a SPST (single pole, single throw) switch and basically your wiring is as follows, wire from + battery (or wherever your getting your power from) to switch lead, wire from other switch lead to LED anode (+), wire from LED cathode (-) to ground.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:59 PM   #8
S2
Retired Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by XfocusX
what color undercars? i am not big on them but if you are cutting them loose chear i might be able to figuresomething out. four tubes or two?
I got the Eurolite Elite Neon Kit in blue (2-3 foot rods and 2-4 foot rods with the transformer and relay).
Old 08-11-2004, 05:00 PM   #9
S2
Retired Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by S2
Can't find a wiring diagram yet but I will try to explain it.

You need a SPST (single pole, single throw) switch and basically your wiring is as follows, wire from + battery (or wherever your getting your power from) to switch lead, wire from other switch lead to LED anode (+), wire from LED cathode (-) to ground.
Wow post whoring here....lol

Anyway, you would do the above wiring four times if you wanted them all on different switches. If you wanted them on two switches, just splice in the two front ones to the one switch and the two back ones to the other switch. If only to one switch, all spliced together.

You know what I mean right?
Old 08-11-2004, 05:01 PM   #10
PreciousAngelJS25
Forced to move on...

OK thanks. I remember reading somewhere that there is a fuse panel somewhere in the car that you could hook up the switches to. Is the fuse panel on the drivers side, on the left at the bottom??

If not, how would I hook the switch panel to the battery? Hooking up the LEDs to the switches doesnt sound that hard. Yeah I think I get what you are saying about splicing. Just cut off the cigarette adapter, then there will be two wires free, split them and the positive goes to the positive on the back of the switch, and the negative goes to the negative on the back of the switch. If I wanted to hook up two lights to one switch, just put both positives on one positive on the back of the switch and the same for the negative. Or am I way off???? lol!

Edit: no wait, i went back and read your instructions, and it sounds like im way off.....

gumpcrew #13
HatchNation #122

\m/ (>.<) \m/

Bookmarks & Social Networks