(05-07) HOW-TO: Turn Your Driver Side Vent into a Gauge Pod (05-07) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
pistolgripbmx
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 49331
What I Drive: 86 ranger, 2007 focus zx3 s

FF Reputation: 38 pistolgripbmx Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
(05-07) HOW-TO: Turn Your Driver Side Vent into a Gauge Pod (05-07)

Here are some of the supplies needed.

7mm socket
8mm socket
phillips screw driver
Gauge.
Hole saw. (2 1/16” for AEM wideband)
Scrap piece of plastic (An old DVD case will work) I used some ABS from another project I had.
Plastic Weld.
Buss Add A Fuse.
Spray Adhesive if you want to cover the plastic in fabric or paint if you’re going to paint the piece.

First off you need to remove the lower panel under the steering wheel, there are 4 8mm screws, one in each corner.

After that panel is out of the way, you can just drop it down to get to next bolt. You need to remove a 7mm bolt holding the gauge surround in place. Once this bolt is removed the gauge surround will pop off, there are about 6-7 clips holding it in place, don’t worry about breaking them, they are fairly strong, just pull all around the piece that goes around the surround and it will pop out. You may need to remove the panel above the steering wheel it also just pops out. The trunk release has a wire attached that you can either pop the trunk release out of the gauge surround, or disconnect the wire via the clip.

After that is removed there is one more Phillips head screw that needs to be taken out to remove the vent and surrounding panel. There is a section of tubing for the ac/heat ducts that needs to be removed in order for the gauge to sit properly, this should come out attached to the vent.

Now that the vent and panel are removed you can take everything off which leaves you with this.

Next lay the panel over a piece of plastic and trace the inside onto the plastic.

Trim the new filler plate, try not to make it too small, there is a tiny lip around the inside of the panel and that the new filler plate will rest onto. Mark the center, and using your hole saw drill out the filler plate.

Looking back, you might be better off drilling the panel before trimming it, it was hard to keep the panel still while drilling.

Now you can either paint the filler or I wrapped the filler in a thin fabric. To do this just spray the filler with all purpose spray adhesive. Then pull the fabric tight and let it dry, trim any excess fabric on the back. The fabric also helps to hide any parts of the filler plate that may have been trimmed too much.

After you finish the filler with paint or fabric, mix up the plastic weld, I used Perma Poxy, it dries in 5 minutes and can withstand pretty extreme temperatures. Place the filler in the vent surround and spread it so that it makes contact with the surround and your new filler plate.

That is also when I cut slits in the fabric to allow the gauge to slide in.

Now that the vent and duct is removed, the surround has nothing to bolt down to; I just used a few small pieces of double-sided tape to hold it in place. It really doesn’t need to because the way the other panels go over top of it keep it pretty secure.

Now you have a straight shot to the fuse panel and that is were I used the add a fuse. I used the sunroof/rear wiper (ignition) I believe it was fuse #43. And grounded the gauge to the bracket that holds the fuse panel to the dash.

One thing to note is that the gauge is blocked by your arm when driving in the 10 and 2 o’clock position, but is in clear sight while driving any other way.

teamduratec #143!
focus sport cool-flo, f2 v.3 header, trubendz 2.5 SS, frpp 1.5" front sportline rear, vf rear engine mount, 93oct Focus Power tune

Last edited by pistolgripbmx; 01-15-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
stoopidsteve87
!FRENCH FRY!

Fan#: 31168
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv

FF Reputation: 8 stoopidsteve87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
looks good and nice write-up
Gump Crew #11 / Team Duratec #196
THE Blazin' Copper Hottness of the South

!FRENCH FRY! - The Stop Light Destroyer
Taylor Swift Crew(TSC) #2
Old 01-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Joshuasvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27135
What I Drive: '03 Black/Red Flake SVT #1218

FF Reputation: 3 Joshuasvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Nice. Very well thought out.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
FX4BAJA

Fan#: 49285
What I Drive: SKATEBOARD

FF Reputation: 10 FX4BAJA Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Another option is to use the defrost vent i installed a custom boost gauge pod there and you dont have to cut anything just remove the grille and duct.Not an option for you though with the location of your tach.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
bdnld4482
Banned

Fan#: 46063
What I Drive: 2012 black focus titanium

FF Reputation: 37 bdnld4482 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
not bad
Old 01-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Hexagram
Focus Addict

Fan#: 54155
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 Hexagram Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Love it, great idea.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
pistolgripbmx
Focus Fanatic

thanks.

once spring comes I might glass over the vent for a more finished look. I figure that's a good project to start off with fiberglassing, I've messed around with it but never really put in a good effort, this should be pretty straight forward.

what's everyone think, black bezel and black faceplate to match the rest of the car, or silver bezel and white faceplate so it matches the tach.
teamduratec #143!
focus sport cool-flo, f2 v.3 header, trubendz 2.5 SS, frpp 1.5" front sportline rear, vf rear engine mount, 93oct Focus Power tune
Old 01-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
Waffles ZX3 Kona Sport
WAFFLEY!

Fan#: 10426
What I Drive: 2006 Fusion SE Midnight Blue

FF Reputation: 11 Waffles ZX3 Kona Sport Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I'd worry about hot air from the vent possibly causing issues to the gauge.

Otherwise, the install looks sick! And nice writeup too.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
pistolgripbmx
Focus Fanatic

I thought about it but i never use those vents it's always on either defrost or defrost/floor. My eyes get real dried out if there is any dry hot air moving around.
teamduratec #143!
Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
UnFocusedST
Fear the TurboSnail!

Fan#: 40342
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Focus ST

FF Reputation: 13 UnFocusedST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Great write up. I wanted to keep my vent so I did this. Not to jack the thread or anything. Heres a pic.

Team Duratec #17
Hatch Nation #17
Midwest Crew #55
Boosted Crew #118

Bookmarks & Social Networks