Car Audio and Installer Employees ONLY! - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #31
mrfatride
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21759
What I Drive: 2009 Vista Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 42 mrfatride Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
no fail is when someone comes into your bay with subs in the trunk installed in 5 gallon buckets and used Christmas lights for speaker wire.... thats not a joke either
2009 SES Coupe #036
MECP Certified Installer
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2008, 12:45 AM   #32
kenzx3
Say NO to FRPP Drops

Fan#: 42651
What I Drive: '00 ZX3, '03 ZX3, '07 ZX3

FF Reputation: 125 kenzx3 Excellent Standing Member kenzx3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (49)
oh boy, thats a WTF were they thinking moment there.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #33
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

Points 8,547, Level 62
Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I'm not sure that I can even come near some of the horror stories listed here...

My closest one is this kid that keeps coming back into our store. He drives a nasty-ass two door Civic (rice, rust, etc...), and a while back he wanted to get some subs for his ride. The previous owner had put in an Alpine 9885 and some cheap, and I do mean cheap, door speakers up front.

Well, he came in and went straight to our clearance table. Okay, no problem. Gives me a chance to get rid of some old product and cut someone a good deal while still making decent commission. Somehow, the MTX 601d caught his attention. I quoted him a good price and he was sold. That was to be his amp. Now on to the subs....

At the time, we had two 12'' MTX 4500's in a Sledge Hammer box on our clearance table (for good reason). Even all the explaining in the world couldn't keep him from buying them and using his monster of a new amp to power it. Well, I warned him, he bought it and insisted on installing it himself. Good, I thought...get him out of here....he came back a week later. His subs were making a "weird" noise....

I went out to his car, listened to the system for about a minute. Both subs were done, as I anticipated. I finally got him to upgrade (a little) to two 12'' 5500's, retuned his system (aka, turned the gains down from max to about a third), and sent him on his way.

He came back a few weeks ago (about two weeks after his last visit). Now the deck wasn't working right. His interior lights were flashing at him. The clock didn't work (car's clock, not the deck) and the amp wouldn't power on. All I could do is tell him to get it checked out somewhere. We didn't do the install, so it's not us that's liable. He got nice and mean when I told him how much we would charge to look at it and diagnose the problem.....lol.

Oh, by the way. I got to check out his and his buddy's "install" the first time he came back. The amp is just sliding around in the trunk, grounded to a freshly drilled hole with about four feet of cable and all of the RCA's/power wire make their way to the trunk via the floor...on top of the carpet.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #34
andrewjay84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61141
What I Drive: 2012 RAM 1500 Sport

FF Reputation: 6 andrewjay84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
you gotta love stupid ppl. i work for circuit city store #3185. ive been doing car audio for 5.5 years. ive worked on many greats and many dumps! ill try to find some pics. worst was an 81 cutlass lifted to accomadate 24 inch wire wheels, painted hot pink with the interior airbrushed with pictures of tweety bird. took the guy like 5 minutes to pull it in my shop (i wasnt gona try and manuver a vehicle that cant turn the damn wheels,) forward, reverse, forward, reverse, forward, and so on and on! had us look at it saying his friend installed the system and now his lights, heat, dash cluster wouldnt work. now this was a horrible install job, but the issue wasnt related to his system. i told him to talk to they guy who lifted it. there was only one ground on the battery and it went straight to the engine block. whenever we had two guys in the car, everything would work when they got out and the car lifted back from the weight of the installers, everything would stop working. as high as the car sat when nobody was in it i was a enough to break the ground that the motor provided to the chasis. the motor and starting the car was never affected because of it being carborated and also being the only component to recieve a ground. so i got $250.00 to laugh my ass of at the site of this car and give the car 3 more grounding points.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #35
DreX2006
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 47127
What I Drive: 2004 Tan/Beige Focus Se

FF Reputation: 2 DreX2006 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I work at Best Buy 1490 in the warehouse. However since its a small store, maybe 60 Employees compared to a healthier 200 employees, we get short on sales people. Our Car-fi is grouped into our home theater, so there's no one usually to help people so I get paged to help if they need it.

We had a guy want a touch screen installed into the dash, with the works, gps nav, back up camera, subs amp everything. So we get it all installed on his truck [its a work truck so he wrote it off as a business expense] and the guy starts flipping out on the install guy, claiming no one told him it would cost him over $2000; Needless to say the guy from media who got him an appointment and price quote didn't know what they were doing. The guy was heated but he didn't have to pay for it. Still don't know what happened to him.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #36
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

Points 8,547, Level 62
Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62 Points: 8,547, Level: 62
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Gotta love when customers underestimate the cost of their little projects. It always amazes me when customers think they can get a full system (Deck or Nav unit, speakers, sub(s), amp(s) and install for less than $1000.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #37
DreX2006
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 47127
What I Drive: 2004 Tan/Beige Focus Se

FF Reputation: 2 DreX2006 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkmgarf View Post
Gotta love when customers underestimate the cost of their little projects. It always amazes me when customers think they can get a full system (Deck or Nav unit, speakers, sub(s), amp(s) and install for less than $1000.
Truth, GPS nav into that screen costs an extra $600, so there's a grand already lol.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #38
kenzx3
Say NO to FRPP Drops

Fan#: 42651
What I Drive: '00 ZX3, '03 ZX3, '07 ZX3

FF Reputation: 125 kenzx3 Excellent Standing Member kenzx3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (49)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkmgarf View Post
My favorite type: "Yeah I just got $200 to spend on a system, I wanna get that Alpine Type R, can I just wire it into my rear speakers?"

Honestly I no longer do Car Audio but I still wish I did, I like how every customer had a different car and you could really explore all options with them. Trunk to Front Strategy FTW!!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #39
mrfatride
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21759
What I Drive: 2009 Vista Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 42 mrfatride Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
problem is now that most of the focus is off car audio and more on gps......lame
2009 SES Coupe #036
MECP Certified Installer
Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #40
silversally
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54269
What I Drive: 04 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 1 silversally Good Standing Member
lol or tehy want just an all out amazing system that will do a 140 and they only want to spend 100-200 bucks lmao

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.