Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How To: 05-07 Halo Projector CCFL Transformer Replacement

9K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Marbs 
#1 ·
As of now, the 2005 to 2007 Focus only has one option for aftermarket headlights.

The Halos in my passenger light went out last week.
Since these halos are the CCFL type, I assumed that both of them going out simultaneously had to be the result of a blown transformer.
This is partially because I've had CCFL tubes inside my car before and experienced many transformer changes.

What you will need:
New transformer (http://www.oznium.com/cathode-transformer)
10 mm socket
7 mm socket
Phillips head screwdriver
Flat head screwdriver / Knife
Pliers
Wire strippers
Soldering iron with solder
Electrical tape / Heat shrink tube
Double sided tape

Remove Headlight. Remove cover for high beam bulb (reflector housing).

and locate a black box with a white label.

The box is attached with double sided tape. Place a flathead screwdriver or knife under it and pry it up.
Theres plenty of extra wire, so don't worry about accidentally removing the halo lights.

I cut the power wires to the transformer in order to make working on it easier.

Once out, pry it open with a flathead screwdriver or knife.

This is necessary to disconnect the wires from within the transformer.
The only issue here is that they are glued in. I used pliers to crush the circuit board and cut the unneeded connector.
Your other option is to cut the wires and solder on the new ones.

Once out, the original connectors will plug straight into the new transformer.

Since I cut the wires going into the transformer, I had to solder them to the new connector.
If you decided to cut these wires, don't forget to replace the rubber grommet.

Reconnect your wires.
Apply double sided tape to the new transformer and replace it inside your headlight.

Reinstall your headlight and make sure everything is working.

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice. Mine went out a while ago. I didn't have the time or intelligence to find the needed replacement parts. I just put my stockers back in. Now, I can fix my halos and put them back in. I liked the look better than the stocks. Even though the light throw sucks, a bunch on the halos... ;-)

#7 ·
Thanks DarkFire

Thanks DarkFire. I now have mine repaired. Worked like a charm. [clap] Great shipping from Oznium. I ordered Monday or Tuesday, and had them by Friday. I ordered two. One of the original ones went bad in such a short period of time, there is no reason for me to believe that the other won't go bad soon. I plan on changing both transformers, just to get things off on the same foot.

Thanks again. [cool] Now I just need to wait for my HID conversion it to show up... [deviltail]

Cliff

#12 ·
Hey Darkfire, good write up. I have one thing to add though; I'm doing mine now...

When you get the connectors out of the original transformers, be sure to get as much of that black glue crap off as you can. It flakes off with a little help from a small knife. I made the mistake of leaving some one, and when I tried to plug it into my new transformer, it just forced the male end of the plug back into the housing... I'm still trying to figure out how to get it in there! =(

#17 ·
This does not help the inherent LED problems in these headlights.
However, they should be replaceable. I say should because I haven't tried this yet.

The problem with the LEDs is that they aren't wired to handle the straight "12" volts. They need a resistor in line.

If you feel up to the challenge they can be seen from the light bulb access panels.

I have to change a headlight bulb this weekend anyway, so I'll give it a shot and take some pictures.

If you need LEDs, they should be available at Radio Shack or oznium.com.

#20 ·
How am I just NOW finding this thread? Mine stopped working MONTHS ago. It's been driving me CRAZY! I've also not been on here for a LONG time until last week. I better not go for so long again. You sir, are my new hero!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.