how easy - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-15-2008, 12:52 AM   #11
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
no they do a really good job of points keeping and things like that. you'll find a lot of the guys will offer advice and tips so keep them in the back of your head. another good thing is to find out what the local veterans are running in the class your aiming for.they have worked out whats best for thier class and have some sick times. however they also have years and a lot of cash and track time invested. (its best to go totally stock and slowly add things to help you perform, nothing beats the driver mod though) look up to them and respect everone and you'll get it back.
will it run soon?? who knows.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #12
thehubster
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46763
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 2 thehubster Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
thanks man. ya listening is one of the best tips i have gotten so far. it is what everything i have read is telling me to do. listen and get to it. now i can't wait to get out there and have some fun.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^^^Don't forget to check the Read First: Autocross Racing Stickied Threads at the top.
Specifically, this one:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=33797
Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 PM   #14
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

Points 3,584, Level 37
Points: 3,584, Level: 37 Points: 3,584, Level: 37 Points: 3,584, Level: 37
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Also, keep an eye on your local club schedules starting early next year. Alot of clubs will do a novice school early in the season. This is always a good thing to do, lots of seat time will get you comfortable in the car, and the experience with other novices will let you have a good fell for how events are run.

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 PM   #15
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
"Everyone has their first day at the track...."

Well put. Even the crusty hot shoes had to start some where.

The best piece of advice I can give is to HAVE FUN.

You are doing this for the first time. You are not going to disrupt a points race by giving it a go mid-season.

In fact, SOME drivers will be more inclined to help you because if you end up beating one of their competitors, its good for them!

If you are worried about how you will look or perform against the other drivers, put that out of your head NOW. They all know you are new. So, unless you are Aryton Senna reincarnated, they will not feel threatened or annoyed at your learning pace.

Forget the car. You don't need this or you don't need that. All you REALLY need for your first event is a tire gauge and a learning attitude. Adjust your tire pressure to 10 PSI over stock, borrow a helmet and drive.

Take an instructor EVERY time. In the novice classes, instructors are allowed for every run.

At the end of the day, ALWAYS return your tires to stock pressures and take your time going home.

Autocross (IMHO) is the most constructive and SAFEST form of motorsports available. Minimal impact to the car, stiff competition, learning and changing driving habits and having them become second nature on the street.

The only person at the event that you need to worry about beating is YOU. Every run where you shave time is a victory. It means you learned something - either about yourself or the car.

The most important piece of gear at an AX event is YOU, the driver.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 10-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #16
Dudes ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23416
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 10 Dudes ZX3 Great Standing Member
Solo is the best and easiest and cheapest (all things considered) way to race- Show up, Sign up, Hell- tell them your a newbie & they will most likely walk you through it.

Don't worry about holding people up, looking foolish, or anything else. Solo does have it's hardcore competitors, but 99% of the folks you meet there will be more then willing to help you out with anything at all, especially getting you out of the way if you are holding people up. As long as you treat others there with respect, you to will be treated with respect no matter what you skill level is.

Good luck
Old 10-17-2008, 09:36 PM   #17
thehubster
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46763
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 2 thehubster Good Standing Member
thanks guys. i have talked to the folks in my region and there is an event next month that i am going to be going to. it is the last for the year but i don't mind. i really want to start. it looks like lots of fun and it would be a pretty cool skill to have. thanks for all of the encoragement. we'll see how it goes in a month. haha. thanks.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #18
Blurvfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 15299
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Wine Cooled Eng.

FF Reputation: 54 Blurvfocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Try to get an instructor to drive your car (with you in it, of course), the sooner the better. That way, you'll see what this is supposed to feel like and sound like. You'll be astonished to see what your car can actually do, and you'll have a better idea what you're trying to do. I don't know if it's the same everwhere, but around these parts, an instructor run won't count- ie you'll still get to drive the full number of runs. This was a huge help to me- more than almost anything else.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:29 PM   #19
SVTRSST
70 100 70 70 : (

Fan#: 50439
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT Focus

Points 8,570, Level 62
Points: 8,570, Level: 62 Points: 8,570, Level: 62 Points: 8,570, Level: 62
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 16 SVTRSST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
i wish we had autox here... i think im learning how to do it in arizona and opening a track in here hahaha lmao

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.