Central locking problems - Finally a solution! - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
Pingouin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53619
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Pingouin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Alright, I'll try that, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #12
exsodius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14827
What I Drive: 2002 Silver 1.6 Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 exsodius Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingouin View Post
Thanks exsodius! I've had the same problem for a while, looked everywhere for a solution, all of them failed (including fuse 63 check and spraying inside the locks in case they stuck), but now you give me new hope! Heck, I even tried the Russian fix by banging on the door!
Now I need to figure out how to get to the lock unit!
Hey Pingouin!

Sorry i didn't answer before. How long have you come with the disassembling?
It has been a long time since i did this thread, but my memory can return bit for bit.
I have got a new tip that might work without disassembling anything.

You know the 3 torx screws at the end of the door, the one that is lowest on the door and that is closest to the cabin. Unscrew that one. This hole is right over the microswitch. If you spray WD-40 into this hole it will run down to the switch and lubricate it. The best have been to use a tube or something to get the spray beam to go right downwards. If this works you will save a lot of time.

I am not 100% it will work, but last time i disassemled everything i tried to look at the lock unit too see if there was an easier way to lubricate, and if i remember correctly the switch is about 2 inches under that hole from the outside of the door. I even thought about drilling a hole under these 3 torx that goes directly into the microswitch, and put plastic plug into it. That would have been an easy modfix/ service hole.

Sorry about my english but i'm norwegian.

Best regards
Old 09-30-2008, 06:02 AM   #13
Pingouin
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsodius View Post
How long have you come with the disassembling?
Hi ya! Well to be honest, I eventually gave up! I couldn't manage to take the unit out even with sezetec's tip. That plus the fact that the dang British weather means that it automatically starts raining as soon as I get a screw out! So in the end, I reassembled the door with a bit of help from the missus and have been carrying on using the key.
However, your tip about passing the WD-40 pipe through the screw hole is definitely worth a try! So I'll try that and let you know. After all, I'm not 100% sure that this is my problem, since it could still be a dead actuator, but well worth a try nonetheless!
Cheers
Old 10-08-2008, 07:49 AM   #14
Bønna
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 59691
What I Drive: 1999 Dark blue

FF Reputation: 1 Bønna Good Standing Member
Smile

Exodius, thanks for a nice tip on how to fix this annoying problem !
I share the norwegian climate with you (Asker), and have exactly the same problem during the cold season.
When temperature drops below 10C the central locking can not longer be operated with the key in the drivers door. After some minutes of driving all other locks suddenly snaps open. It scared me the first time it happened. The strange thing is that this delayed opening is almost proportional to the degree of coldness.
Almost a year ago I took the whole locking motor unit out of the door, inspected it, greased it up, but to no avail. The problem persisted.
I have booked time in my motorclub garage on monday, and Im looking forward to implement your procedure.
I can warmly recommend the Haynes manual, which describes the disassembly process in detail .
I will report on the results next week !
Old 10-09-2008, 04:43 AM   #15
Pingouin
Focus Rookie

Well, I tried the WD40 trick in the bottom screw hole, orienting the jet downwards, left and right, until the WD40 started pouring from the door and onto the pavement, but it didn't solve the problem :(
Oh well, thanks anyway, it was worth trying.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:46 AM   #16
Bønna
Focus Rookie

Success !

Exodius !

Your description matched the problem exactly. When I took out the locking unit, and studied the microswitch I immediately noticed that the pin was full of half-stiff wax-like grease (stiff, probably due to water and moist).
When I pressed the pin, and released, it came slowly back out with a small delay. When the parts are cold, the grease is probably stiffer, and the pin sticks.
A quick clean and lubrication with WD40 made the pin work like its supposed to And after reassemly, the central locking was working again, even in the cold night.

Thanks again Exodius for taking the time to explain this fantastic solution, that saves us a lot of irritation and expenses !
Old 10-14-2008, 07:07 AM   #17
Pingouin
Focus Rookie

Great news Bonna :)
Any chance you can give me step by steps instructions on how to take out the lock unit? I can get as far as removing the door panel and take a peek at the unit.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #18
Bønna
Focus Rookie

Hello Pingouin,

I bought an Haynes manual for the Focus a couple of years ago, and it has proved very helpful. Pictures say more than thousand...etc.

However I will try to explain in short (from after removing door panel):

-Take loose the interior door handle (2 screws, one under a plastic lid, feel behind, and snap it loose forward, do not detach wire)
-Use a sharp knife to cut through the black glue to remove weather cover upper left part. (careful not to damage the cover, or touch the glue too much)
-Slacken (not remove) 2 Torx screws on the inside of the Exterior door handle/lock (you need an extended torx screwdriver and a headlamp)
-Take your time and slide off the exterior lock cover, and exterior handle (forward movement of handle), and remove the two seals.
-Disconnect the locker cable from the locker unit (connector on the lower part of unit, press clip and ease off)
-Remove 3 larger torx screws from the door rear edge, and maneuver out the door lock unit. (you dont need to detach any handles or wires)
-Put it on a bench under a good lamp, and put your bottle of WD40 to good use. Check operation of the switch (positioned close to the main connector) with the tip of a thin steelwire, before and after cleaning/lubrication.
-All of the sticky grease shall be washed away with WD40.

Good luck !
Old 10-15-2008, 06:38 AM   #19
Pingouin
Focus Rookie

Excellent, I'll give it a go. Hopefully I'll get it sorted eventually! Thanks a lot
Old 10-21-2008, 02:22 AM   #20
Bønna
Focus Rookie

Update: The passenger door must be fixed in the same manner. It hampers operation of the now working drivers door. If the car is unlocked on the passenger side during cold weather, the problem of delayed unlocking is back. It is then impossible to operate central locking from drivers door until the weather turns warmer again.
The microswitch on the passenger side is soaked in the same type of stiff grease, and hence both sides must be fixed for trouble free operation.
I will be an expert on disassembling Focus doors after this !

Bookmarks & Social Networks