Euro Tail Light wiring for 02+ with GEM Module - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
02ZX3NJ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56346
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 02ZX3NJ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Euro Tail Light wiring for 02+ with GEM Module

I am going to comprise this from multiple how to's that i have found, due to the fact that one single how to only showed some steps. Some for the 02- and some for the 02+ focus.

This How to will work for the 02+ Focus "Hatchback" when installing a set of Euro tail lamps into the veh.

Any info i will provide is for the user at their own use, i am not responsible if you mess something up or burn out a module due to faulty wiring or hooking it up without the use of some type of multimeter to test your wiring.

And here we go.

1. Lower your glove box by pushing in on the tabs and lowering it it down, behind the glove box you will see your GEM module, it will have 5 plugs with yellow square holding tabs on them.

2. The 3 Plugs you are going to need are the Blue, Green and Gray Plugs, the plugs are color coded under the yellow locking tabs, you may need a light to notice which is which.

3. In the Gray Plug find the Blue wire and cut it in half about 1 inch below the connector incase you ever need to reconnect it again.

4. In the Green Plug find the Blue/Red wire and cut it the same way as in step 3.

5. Now in the Blue Plug, find the Blue/White wire strip some of the insulation back and attach the blue wire you cut in step 3 into that wire. Attach the blue wire going away from the plugs that you cut "not the one going into the Plug".

6. Also in the blue plug find the Blue/Red wire, and strip back some of the insulation and attach the Blue/Red wire you cut in step 4 into that wire. Once again attach the wiring going away from the plug, not the one going back in.

Here is a Diagram from one of the How To's

Thanks to The guy who posted it, im not sure who it is cause there was no user name....sorry.

Be sure to soder your connections if you didnt use t-taps and tape up any exposed wiring.

~Now the front part is complete, this will give you your independent Parking light/Stops and Turns for the separate bulbs in the rear. So put all your crap back in your glove box and close it back up.~

The next section is done at the rear of the Veh, this part i got from a member of FF and it worked perfect, so i am going to basically Copy and paste his instructions.

If you only do these instructions without the above posted steps in your 02+ Hatch with the GEM, when you step on the brakes you will have your brake and blinkers come on at the same time.

So Many Many thanks to Darth Focus on this part his step by step was very helpful.

1) Remove panels, carpet, sub box, etc. to make access to the drivers side quarter panel (in the trunk). You will see two plugs, a gray and blue.

2) In the blue plug is a green/ black wire - cut it after the plug. Thats for reverse and you wont need it for the tails (you will need it when you add a lower mount reverse light later).

3) Remove tail lights.

4) At the gray plug, find the green/ yellow wire, splice in and add TWO long sections of wire. Run each wire to the tail lights. I make a small hole in the rubber grommet with the tail light harness (under the tail light that is now removed). Run your wire out to each light.

5) On the tail light plug, cut the blue wire. Make sure you leave as much room as possible to splice the blue wire later.

6) The wire you ran to the tail lights goes to the SOCKET SIDE of the blue wire. You now have parking lights/ brake. Do this for each side.

7) Now, at the two pin reverse plug, cut the green/ black wire and use some spare wire to exten a wire between the green black wire from the socket to the blue wire you cut in step (5).

As stated previously if you do it all in these step your euro tails will work perfect and not have any issues with blinker/tails/brakes etc.

Once Again thanks to everyone for their helpful info....I just hope this helps people out now so they dont have to goto 2+ different how to's to get the euros to work.

Happy Modding

~02ZX3NJ~

Last edited by 02ZX3NJ; 09-12-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 11:47 PM   #2
Sonicbluezx3
.....NObama.....

Fan#: 8674
What I Drive: 05 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 18 Sonicbluezx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
I assume 02+ includes 2005s?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
pistolgripbmx
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 49331
What I Drive: 86 ranger, 2007 focus zx3 s

FF Reputation: 38 pistolgripbmx Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I followed the how-to posted on here in my 07 with no problems so yes your 05 will work like this!
teamduratec #143!
focus sport cool-flo, f2 v.3 header, trubendz 2.5 SS, frpp 1.5" front sportline rear, vf rear engine mount, 93oct Focus Power tune
Old 12-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
WuNgUnSVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15803
What I Drive: '02 Sonic Blue SVT Focus, '03 Wagon

FF Reputation: 34 WuNgUnSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Does this keep the auto door lock functional?
'02 Sonic Blue SVT Focus
Old 12-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
fastzx360
Focus Addict

Fan#: 11390
What I Drive: 2004 White ZX5 2.3L

FF Reputation: 33 fastzx360 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuNgUnSVT View Post
Does this keep the auto door lock functional?
That is correct sir. Peterbilt had this same writeup a while ago. His is a more extensive writeup.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
Sonicbluezx3
.....NObama.....

What is the reason behind messing with the GEM? Couldn't you theoretically just move around the wires at the tail light? I remember b16sir1991 saying that there was an easier way of doing this
Old 12-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
WuNgUnSVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15803
What I Drive: '02 Sonic Blue SVT Focus, '03 Wagon

FF Reputation: 34 WuNgUnSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicbluezx3 View Post
What is the reason behind messing with the GEM? Couldn't you theoretically just move around the wires at the tail light? I remember b16sir1991 saying that there was an easier way of doing this
I tried about 3 different ways in my '02 SVT...
I finally had to settle on running my own wire to the tail lights.
I think it really depends on the car/year.
'02 Sonic Blue SVT Focus
Old 12-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
faster_than_u
anti svt

Fan#: 41017
What I Drive: focus

FF Reputation: 12 faster_than_u Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicbluezx3 View Post
that is only half of the wiring needd to be done. no if you have a 00-02 i did a how to but everyone bashed it cuz there was no pix
ZC#200
Old 12-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
Sonicbluezx3
.....NObama.....

Well I guess I'm going to go for it with these instructions then. I'm going to take some pictures while doing it tho to make it a bit easier than the illustrations. Plus I'm going to add a little bit of awesome to it ;)
Old 08-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
SVTRSST
70 100 70 70 : (

Fan#: 50439
What I Drive: 2003 Sonic Blue SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 16 SVTRSST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Bumping this, does anyone know what are you actually doing by doing the first part of the how to?, working with the GEM, i mean.. what does the blue wire do, and the blue with white and the blue with red?...

When i step on the brakes ill get the stop lights on, but if i have my parking lights or headlights on and i step on the brakes my drivers side stop light wont work, basically my problem is that i cannot have my parking lights and stop lights on at the same time. Any ideas whats wrong?, maybe a ground?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->