Speed Reduction - 55 MPH Limit - Page 14 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Official Polls & Surveys

Official Polls & Surveys Please take a moment and participate in our online polls and surveys.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: 55 MPH Speed Limit
For 55 MPH Limit 82 6.58%
Against 55 MPH Limit 1,041 83.48%
I'm fine with whichever 124 9.94%
Voters: 1247. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2008, 02:15 AM   #131
MisterJohnson
M0derator Monkey

Fan#: 51724
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 D23

Points 62,373, Level 100
Points: 62,373, Level: 100 Points: 62,373, Level: 100 Points: 62,373, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 30 MisterJohnson Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNR View Post
Ya the gas tax does bring in a lot of money for the government so its a hard one on that. And as for the constitution. It does not limit the governments power, it regulates it (there is a difference). The constitution is the Supreme Law of the land. I have taken law classes man, don't argue with me this is something I know a lot about. There are also things known as the State Constitutions. These basically regulate things based on states as long as it does not go against what the constitution says. Unconstitutional is defined as things that go against the constitution. The only people that can declare something unconstitutional are the Supreme Court Justices. So you saying, thinking, and feeling that something is unconstitutional does not make it so. The government has the right to regulate and control businesses. Trusts are an example of this. Go back to Theodore Roosevelt, also known as the trust buster. He destroyed business practices that where not necessarily illegal but harmful. However Taft took the opposite route and destroyed all Trusts (example of the government using its powers in an unregulated environment). Since then Trusts have been made illegal by the Sherman Antitrust Act.

I know you will say that the government has NO RIGHT to regulate business but if it doesn't lets ship your 9 year old kid (just as an example even if you don't have one) to work in a factory. Rules and regulations put in place BY THE GOVERNMENT prevent this and it is completely constitutional and was fought for by the people. I rest my case.
I've taken Constitution classes too, and I question the classes you took since they mislead you into a fundamentally wrong view of it.

The Constitution IS a government limiter. Period. Just because you took some podunk class at a junior college doesn't mean you are right.

And you are correct, I do say the federal government has no right to regulate business. That was left up to the state by the Constitution.
15.07 @ 93.49 Team Duratec #149
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 02:35 AM   #132
EricNR
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58006
What I Drive: 2003 Tan SE

FF Reputation: 1 EricNR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yes, but obviously these regulations weren't found to be unconstitutional as they are in State laws. And as I mentioned before, and if you really took these constitutional classes you speak of, you would know that in order for it to be in the State Constitution or in ANY form of state law (the regulation of businesses that is) it has to be constitutional so you just proved my point for me...
Old 08-10-2008, 02:40 AM   #133
MisterJohnson
M0derator Monkey

Points 62,373, Level 100
Points: 62,373, Level: 100 Points: 62,373, Level: 100 Points: 62,373, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
lol this is like arguing with a brick wall You can't even form cohesive sentences any more. Good night dude, you need some sleep.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:49 AM   #134
EricNR
Focus Enthusiast

I can tell I have won this dispute. You resorted to insulting me directly, a sign that you know you have lost. It isn't cohesive because you are obviously tired. Anyway it was a good dispute.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:08 AM   #135
dullishpage
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32500
What I Drive: 2006 Ford Focus ZX4 Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 40 dullishpage Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I Am The Winner! I WIN BECAUSE I DID IT WITH MY MIND.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullishpage View Post
Old 08-10-2008, 04:25 AM   #136
dullishpage
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32500
What I Drive: 2006 Ford Focus ZX4 Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 40 dullishpage Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Face facts, we can't control the governments control over our control. Government should not ban oil drilling, and should immediately support an oil drilling operation in the us territories. Removing taxes would be impossible, would be nice, but not really helpful. Removing taxes from fuel sales would leave the local, state, and federal government with large deficients. I work for a local government agency, and we operate much differently then corporations do. We spend money before we even know how much we get in our budget, this is due to usually not having a finalized budget and things like that. This means that projects, like paving roads are authorized assuming we have funds to complete them in the future. So if we all of a sudden stop supplying income to a government agencies budget, we would be in big trouble. Now here in California we get taxed a lot for roads and EPA, and on bridge tolls. I think a commuter tax refund or credit would be a nice insensitive, such as giving back say $200 for gas and road taxes. This would make many Americans happy. Also the main problem with the government is the mis-usage of funds and budgets, not so much the lack of funding. Poor management can be reasonable for many failures obviously, a similar government agency that parallels the one i work for in a different area gets a similar budget as we do, and perform all the same tasks and operations. But they have used up all they're funds and have no reserve funds, on the other hand the agency i work for has a surplus of funds in the millions. It all has to do with how the budget was used. Also there is different monies for different things. Like we have money that we can only use for some projects or we lose it, or we have money that we can only get if we spend more then what we got last year, or there is money we can use or keep depending on what we decide on using it for or not for. The other agency I was talking about, has had a lot of personnel turn over and severe project cost overages. We operate on the same level and capacity as them with as little as 300 employees, they had 1000 employees, and ended up firing a lot of them. For instance, we have 2 full time carpenters and 1 full time electrician. They had 10 carpenters and 8 electricians. This is really dumb, because they are salary employees, they get paid whether or not they are actually doing jobs, so if you have 7 electricians and 8 carpenters doing nothing, that's about $1,600,000 a year going down the drain.

Anyways just a thought.

Also you guys don't need to attack each other intelligence levels, your information and understanding of what your taking about proves you are both quite smart, but then we you start throwing kiddy blows at eachother that just takes it to a "dumber" level of conversation. There is no need to be derogatory if you don't agree, just agree to disagree, and believe in what you believe until you decided who is right on your own, just my two bits, otherwise ignore my drunk arse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullishpage View Post
Old 08-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #137
EricNR
Focus Enthusiast

Ah ya I like that drilling in America. Imagine how much that would actually lower the cost of gas. Well, it honestly probably wouldn't too noticeable at first but it would at least get our dependence off of oil from the middle east which I think is a bit dangerous.

And yes, dullishpage, maybe drunk but smart lol. MisterJohnson I'm sorry for anything I said to directly insult you. Our argument was foolish and some of the things we said were pointless. I'm willing to forgive and forget.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #138
guitarseth
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7887
What I Drive: 2003 French Blue Metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 guitarseth Good Standing Member
I think more importantly than reducing the highway speed limit is reducing traffic congestion. Cars that sit idling for long periods of time in rush hour traffic are getting close to 0 MPG, which is far worse than going 10 MPH faster.

For me, I get between 33-35 MPG regardless of whether I drive 60 MPH or 75 MPH. So, I'm against the 55 MPH limits again. Buy efficient vehicles, support local economies, and turn your heat/AC down/up a few degress.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #139
MisterJohnson
M0derator Monkey

Points 62,373, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNR View Post

And yes, dullishpage, maybe drunk but smart lol. MisterJohnson I'm sorry for anything I said to directly insult you. Our argument was foolish and some of the things we said were pointless. I'm willing to forgive and forget.
Same here, sorry for calling you a retard. I still claim victory though

(now in response to guitarseth)
Removing the ban on drilling for oil would cause an immediate and fairly large drop in the price oil. I mean, look at how much it dropped just because we're TALKING about allowing drilling.
OPEC wants our money. If we start getting our own oil we'll be buying less of theirs, so they'll have to increase oil production to lower the price and stay competitive.
I've heard people in the oil industry say that oil from wells already drilled on land could hit the market within months, and if we start drilling off our coasts the oil could hit the market within 2 years.

We don't NEED more efficient cars, we need more oil. It's out there, we just need to go get it.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #140
EricNR
Focus Enthusiast

Ya i think thats the big thing, I mean 30+mpg is pretty darn good as it is. We just have to get to the oil.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.