How To: Lock Switch Lights (SVT) - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK1 Focus > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #51
mgardner
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 49466
What I Drive: 2007 Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 mgardner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Awesome!

Just wired up the driver's side switch, don't have time to wire the passenger side before I go to work.

It doesn't make sense to me either...that they'd put LEDs in there but not wire them up...if they save any money by leaving out the wires, surely they'd spend that savings buying switches with LEDs installed in them...just my humble opinion.

Last edited by mgardner; 08-27-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #52
zx505focus
AKA KILLA XB

Fan#: 44497
What I Drive: 2010 Scion XB RS7

FF Reputation: 44 zx505focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
so what did he do????
Old 01-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #53
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Memberscrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
wow, i cant believe it took me til now to do this. great mod. great write-ups as well.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #54
Tiger-Heli
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Great write-up - I'm getting ready to do this mod and wanted to point out a couple of things. (I'm one of those people that tends to look at worst case before I attempt something).

The window switch wiring doesn't bother me. I'll probably use the 3M ScotchLok Quik-Taps as someone else mentioned, but there is not much clearance in the connector, so the jammed wire would likely work, and might be a better option for a leased vehicle. In any case, if either of those wires come out, the only consequence is that if either wire falls out, you lose the door lock lights, but you didn't have them at first so no big deal.

The door switch is more of a concern. That is a blade terminal with nothing presently connected to it. If the ground wire comes out, no big deal, you lose the door lock lights as above. However, if the power wire comes out at night, and shorts on a ground point in the door, you could lose all your interior dash lights which might not be good if you are driving on the freeway at the time.

There are a few better solutions that I am looking at:

1) The blue connectors are Molex plugs. The best solution is probably to get the proper crimp on Molex contacts and use these for the new wires. This has the additional advantage that if anyone is working on the car, when they take the connector off, the wires will come off with it. I know Pep Boys sells that style contact and if I find ones that work I will post the part number.

2) I found this website that recommended soldering the wires - that would work, but if a technician needs to remove the door panel, he either has to desolder the wires or take the wire off at the quick splice.

3) I previously bought these Quick-Slides from Crutchfiled for another project. The 0.187 and the 0.205 look very similar and I thought they were the same. The 0.110's look like the right size and will fit through the connector if you remove the insulation, but did not seem like they wanted to fit over the terminal - the 0.187 and 0.205 will fit on the terminal, but will not clear the connector, but you could probably either drill out the connector (and electrical tape the slide so it doesn't short on adjacent pins), or dremel down the slide so it was only one "leg" and it would still work and clear the connector.

HTH!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #55
drunkinmonkey
O SO SLO

Fan#: 55470
What I Drive: 00' Turbo zx3, 02' saturn sl1

FF Reputation: 67 drunkinmonkey Excellent Standing Member
how is this done with rolll up windows
Old 07-22-2008, 05:26 AM   #56
Tiger-Heli
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkinmonkey View Post
how is this done with rolll up windows
Did they make Foci with Power Locks and manual windows?

The switches on the door locks should be the same. With the mod above, they are lit whenever the car is on. You would simply have to route ground (easiest would be from the other ground pin (Pin 2) on the door lock switch) to Pin 4, and route either switched 12V or illumination 12V from somewhere behind the dash to Pin 5 on the door lock switch.

HTH!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:41 AM   #57
Sn4ckM4st3r
Banned

Fan#: 24432
What I Drive: 2002 Stealth ZX3

FF Reputation: 91 Sn4ckM4st3r Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I don't think they did one power the other not. I may be wrong. I have manual locks and doors, can be a bitch but i don't care i have other things that trump those things.

But like he said will basically be the easiest.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #58
smith55
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57890
What I Drive: 03 pitch black SVT #3046

FF Reputation: 2 smith55 Good Standing Member
Awsome job man. I never would have thought of this. Now what else did ford not hook up?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #59
Rudel
FF's Quadriplegic!

Fan#: 13465
What I Drive: 2.3 ATX-RSVT

FF Reputation: 15 Rudel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
they didnt hook us up with Turbos!

Part III: Install Handicap Driving Controls
Ma Cah: http://imgur.com/a/TuyYL
Old 09-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #60
justanotherZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58219
What I Drive: '04 silver ZX3 23 duratec PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 justanotherZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
the lock lights is something that has always bugged me. Looks like i got a job now. thanks for the write up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks