ST170 Intake Manifold Runner Control disassembly (PICS!!) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
GuySA
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 56787
What I Drive: 2004 Imperial Blue ST170

FF Reputation: 8 GuySA Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ST170 Intake Manifold Runner Control disassembly (PICS!!)

Well evan's post the other day "http://www.fordstownerssa.co.za/foru...p?f=20&t=16812" got me thinking. I didn't think the IMRC box could be opened before he said he opened his up, so I decided to remove, open, and have a look at mine. My car had been throwing the code P1518 a lot recently, which has to do with the IMRC malfunctioning.

Well what evan doesn't mention is that due to the positioning and way that the IMRC is mounted removing it is a *!!! Don't even try it unless you have a quality 10mm ratchet spanner and a fair amount of patience, and don't mind skinned knuckles and fingers.

Once its off though and you remove the cover held on by four screws this is what you will see.

A circuit board, a johnson 540 motor (as used in almost all basic radio control cars), and a cascade of metal gears, all rather simple and rugged looking.

In order to have a look at the other side of the circuit board I had to remove the 6 screws holding the board to the case and the black electrical connector. The connector is securely epoxied in place and can't be removed. I also had to de-solder the six connections between the board and the electrical connector.

On the underside of the circuit board you can see the points that are activated by the cam on the white plastic wheel that pulls the cable. The points are held open when the car is off or when the IMRC is in the high speed position. At any other time the points are supposed to be closed.
When I disassembled mine the points looked to barely be touching in the closed position and I assume this may have been the cause of my fault code, namely, the points perhaps not being closed properly with the IMRC in the slow speed position.
I gently tweaked the copper points spring with some small pliers to try increase the pressure on the points in the closed position as well as cleaned out the contacts with methylated spirits.

Careful examination showed all the joints on my circuit board to look okay so I gave the gears a small amount of grease and reassembled the circuit board and motor into the housing.

Fitting the IMRC back into the car was a bit easier than removing it, especially with the help of my father.
I then reset the engine light by disconnecting the battery, 30 seconds to a minute is all thats needed, and started the car. That was 22 June '08 and since then the fault has yet to return. I will keep this post updated as to whether it does return or not.

Enjoy
Guy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2008 Edge SEL

FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Wow ... Great Job with that.

I would have not even thought about opening that up... but now ...
Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
NA_Built
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30476
What I Drive: Stock 01'

FF Reputation: 1 NA_Built Good Standing Member
Sweet

25 years old and I still like seeing things taken apart.

weird
Old 06-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
focisvt03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2071
What I Drive: 03 Focus SVT Yellow EAP

FF Reputation: 46 focisvt03 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
What is the IMRC box what does it do, what kind of problems does it cause, and where is it? Sorry I'm new to all this and am trying to learn
Old 06-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
GuySA
Focus Rookie

It controls the dual stage intake manifold. Its the silver box bolted to the firewall.
I causes the code listed in the post to appear and can reduce low end torque if it fails.

Quote:
Sorry I'm new to all this and am trying to learn
No need to apologise, just use the search function and read up on past posts, most of what you ask has been explained before at some stage, sometimes in depth.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:26 AM   #6
GuySA
Focus Rookie

UPDATE: A week and almost 600kms down and still the error hasn't returned. :)
Old 06-30-2008, 04:24 AM   #7
zx505focus
AKA KILLA XB

Fan#: 44497
What I Drive: 2010 Scion XB RS7

FF Reputation: 44 zx505focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
well im getting code P2004, and its said IMRC open bank 1, could you help me with that. its a 05 2.0 duratec engine.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
Hillyard
Supercharged

Fan#: 10982
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 SVT, 2004 Ford Ranger 4x4

FF Reputation: 2 Hillyard Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx505focus View Post
well im getting code P2004, and its said IMRC open bank 1, could you help me with that. its a 05 2.0 duratec engine.
The SVT Zetec and your Duratec engines don't have the same intake manifold. Your Duratec engine doesn't have this box to control the dual stage intake runners. It is exclusive to the SVT model.
#3788 InfraRed SVT
Hill <><
Old 07-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Memberbesthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA_Built View Post
Sweet

25 years old and I still like seeing things taken apart.

weird
agreed...

thats freaking awesome
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #10
GuySA
Focus Rookie

Yeah, sorry zx505focus I don't have any knowledge of the Duratec intake system.

Bookmarks & Social Networks