H&R Race Springs for Autocross? - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-06-2008, 04:48 PM   #31
Auto-X-ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54278
What I Drive: 2000 ZX2 S/R

FF Reputation: 7 Auto-X-ZTS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have no coilover experience with the Focus, but as for 'regular' springs, you seem to want a F/R ratio that is .82-86 or so. .82 is the SVT (129/157) ratio, and .86 (325/375) is the H&R Race ratio.

The camber looks quite good, IMO. If the car does not rotate well, try uncambering (closer to 0) the rear.

I am not a big fan of the monster RSB, but at least you'd have the spring rates to warrant its use. I still think like to think of of the RSB as the cherry on the sundae...not the ice cream. That said...I think a 24-25 is all that is ever really needed. Lorin Mueller runs a 24mm 3-way on his FSP car...you can see the results from Nationals last year to see how fast it is.
___/\_____/\_____/\_____/\___
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #32
fw_pa
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 49132
What I Drive: 2003, CD Silver, SVT

FF Reputation: 1 fw_pa Good Standing Member
DirtyDeeds... could be a good point. I was a rear wheel racer for a long time and my driving style is very technical. I am trying to get over that. :-)

I am using the GC setup. gives me alot more spring options and lowering and weight balance options. I have rigth at 2 degrees of negative in the rear. this is not by my design but just how it all worked out with the rest of the changes. I have considered the SPC adjustable upper rear control arm to take this out.

I'm also thinking of trying a 'lighter' spring in the front ... the front seems to bounce more than it used to, so too much spring.
and I am going to have to do something about the front struts. they are too long and I only have about 1", maybe a little more, of travel. and I think they are bottoming. I am talking to Terry Fair about AST's.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #33
fw_pa
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

the fort worth tour this past weekend was a great learning experience. I had Phil Osborn drive my car and that gave me a chance to watch it. we were on the TMS Bus lot which has a very low grip surface and we were lifting the rear tire.

I know how you feel about having champs around. Andy Hollis is on my doorstep. I also have CHris Cargill, Jesse Caudil, Todd Milstead, Wayne Atkins, etc. the nice thing is I know where I have to get the car to.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #34
Auto-X-ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Nice result--Phil is a good driver; you're "right there".

I hear Terry Fair is a 'good cookie', and Andy is a great resource (if you can get past his personality). As for dampers, talk to Lee Grimes at Koni 800-922-2616 x316...they can revalve the Konis and even make them DA...I really think that is the best setup, especially with the GCs.

I have Jason Frank, Chris Fenter, Jeff Cashmore, Steve Wynveen, MarkMcKnight and a few others here. Jason has been quite helpful in sharing his thoughts on our car.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #35
fw_pa
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

*chuckle*
I started autox in Austin with Spokes, so I've known Andy a while. He was feeling _no pain_ on friday night at the tour. Apparently his daughter had just wrecked his m-coupe.
it looks like you have the other half of the top of the leader board in your region.

I have already talked to Lee. He and PhilO are long time friends. I can't afford what they want to redo the struts. so I am shopping for an alternative with a shorter body. I noticed this morning a small amount of oil on the top of the struts at the valve. so I am going to pull them off tonite and put the kyb's back on for now. I do think the 550# springs are too much for the front. with the 450# the front seemed "heavy" with the 550# the front seems "light". with the same weight balance. roughly 60% front now.

I'm thinking about 450 front 500 rear and after that testing I am going to try it with a smaller rear sway bar. like the 24mm. with a weight balance of 60/40.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #36
Auto-X-ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

What length springs do you have? I'd like some 550s...
Old 05-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #37
fw_pa
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

6" eibachs from GC
Old 05-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #38
Auto-X-ZTS
Focus Enthusiast