Motorcycles and high speed - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > General Racing Chat

General Racing Chat Use this Forum to discuss everything from launching off the line and four wheel drifts, to telling your favorite race tale. (Posting Rules)

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Pistonbroke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42552
What I Drive: Black 2000 ZX3 mtx

FF Reputation: 1 Pistonbroke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cool Motorcycles and high speed

So I was out on the big open 4 lane highway going rather fast into a cool spring headwind. Passed a fairly hot looking bike with rider dressed in "racing gear". He got into my lane right away behind me and up close so i floored it. Slowly he started falling back. I know he was trying to catch me. I just kept going and never saw him again.

Bikes have 3 disadvantages at high speed. -- bad aerodynamics, small displacement, and the discomfort of the rider. And some are not geared for high speed.

I could have been sipping a latte and talking on the phone at that speed. The focus is remarkably stable at speed.

Yes, I know there are MANY bikes that would kick my ass at high speed with the right rider and conditions, but this guy couldn't on this day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Must have been one of those riders that thought each "racing" logo he wore gave him an additional 2hp.....or.....he was an inexperienced rider.
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Old 05-12-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
SYZ
FocusFreak

Fan#: 31122
What I Drive: toxic waste

FF Reputation: 106 SYZ Excellent Standing Member SYZ Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
please.

How do you know he was trying to catch you? Sportbikes are extremely fast on the highway. AT THE TRACK, I ran a 7.1@102 in the 1/8th mile on my 03 Gixxer 750. Years before that when I was 19, I tried racing a sportbike in my 2001 Miata on the highway. Boy was that "race" an embarrassment.

Food for thought as well: Sometimes I would follow drivers fairly closely in order to avoid the buffeting wind from knocking me around. Maybe he was just doing that, but once you started going a little too fast, he felt like not following anymore, or just thought he was making you uncomfortable and that's why you tried to put distance between you two.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
that said a lot of the newer bikes are geared way too tall. especailly the smaller displacement bikes. the only bike i though was geared right for me was a buell lightning xb12s.
will it run soon?? who knows.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
Sid03SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 39759
What I Drive: 02 Explorer 4.6L, 02 CBR600 F4i

FF Reputation: 8 Sid03SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
umm it could have been a 2008 ninja 250; just looking at them you can't tell what displacement they are, they look hot and have a top speed of about 105mph...with a tail wind.... going downhill....http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/det...content=photos take a peak...
don't know how? click on the number next to "FF Reputation" and add a comment
Old 05-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Off Topic...Sort Of

^^^That's a cool bike!
If we didn't have 8 months of winter here, that'd be a great commuter ride with today's gas prices.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
Yocrew
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 54713
What I Drive: 02RedSVT #306

FF Reputation: 19 Yocrew Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I am more than happy he didn't try racing you. Makes me think some people out there with bikes have a brain. I see way too many guys on bikes speeding, high speed wheelies. I would never provoke anyone on a bike to race. I wouldn't wanna be the reason for an accident. So next time instead of thinking he's a jerk off and has a slow bike consider he's just smart. Somethin to think about.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
Sid03SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 39759
What I Drive: 02 Explorer 4.6L, 02 CBR600 F4i

FF Reputation: 8 Sid03SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
WD40 - I'm actually planning on getting one, i was supposed to have it like a month ago but they are out of stock at every dealer and wont come in until august, so i'm jsut going to buy a used one or wait until next summer. after paying for the bike, paying for insurance on the bike, and paying for gas in the bike it is cheaper for me than to just pay for gas in my car on a daily basis... but i do 100mi a day so thats how the cost of the bike and insurance figure in...
don't know how? click on the number next to "FF Reputation" and add a comment
Old 05-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
Algorhythm

Fan#: 20623
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3, 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R 636

FF Reputation: 105 Algorhythm Excellent Standing Member Algorhythm Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid03SVT View Post
WD40 - I'm actually planning on getting one, i was supposed to have it like a month ago but they are out of stock at every dealer and wont come in until august, so i'm jsut going to buy a used one or wait until next summer. after paying for the bike, paying for insurance on the bike, and paying for gas in the bike it is cheaper for me than to just pay for gas in my car on a daily basis... but i do 100mi a day so thats how the cost of the bike and insurance figure in...
I got my 1986 Honda Nighthawk 450 for $450.. needed a few new things so lets say $800, not including gear (got a $400 helmet).

Insurance through e-surance on a 22 year old male with 1 accident on his record is 280$/year with minimal coverage.

Trust me, it's more affordable than you think.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->