RT-615's - Reinforced or normal sidewalls? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #11
Dcl2049
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Offset is 42.

Weight and gearing are very sensitive subjects for me being an automagic driver. That's also why I burn tires now, because if I don't, I come out of corners in 3rd gear at 2,000 RPM. I need more seat time to figure out a better way to circumvent that.

I'm not going to shave the tires, I want them to last and I'm not that "serious" about it yet, especially with me being so slow.

Also I have a feeling 1.6 is not really accurate. Take a look in my gallery, it looks more like a stock SVT drop to be honest, probably around 1". I have about 2" gap in front and more in back.

Thanks for the input Doug, you really know your stuff.

Good stuff on all those other alternatives, but it appears they will break the bank more than Azenis. I'm probably going to stick with those. Looking forward to the disgusted look on the tire guy's face when he gets done mounting the stiff sidewalled Azenis.

At least it's not as bad as the 225/50-16 Azenis I considered running on stock rims a few months ago.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #12
Auto-X-ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54278
What I Drive: 2000 ZX2 S/R

Points 318, Level 6
Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Auto-X-ZTS Good Standing Member
Quote:
WD40 As far as the Dunlops, they haven't performed very well at any events I've been to.
The Azenis RT-615 have been a much better choice.
I've seen the Dunlops chunk up pretty good.
I think the reason the Dunlops are attractive now is due to the closeout prices.
The Z1 won STU at the recent SD/NT...http://sccaforums.com/forums/8/25943...ad.aspx#259439 :
Quote:
At the San Diego National Tour this weekend, STU had the second largest class with 18 drivers from the western states. My codriver Tom K. put an excellent 2 days of driving together for a repeat win from last year. I was the fastest after 1st runs on Sat, had cone trouble, but was able to put a solid run in today to pull back up to close 4th trophy spot. Only 3 of us were able to break into the 60.xx sec., 2 of us on Dunlops.

The Dunlops were great today. They started to go off a little on the 4th run, we watered them down and they came back for run 5 and 6. We are still on full-treads. Other competitors were on fresh shaved Yokohamas, and Bridgestones.

Fun weekend!
I don't think a Falken shod car has won a National event since 2006...in STS, STX or STU.

Full-tread to full-tread, the Z1s have tested faster than the B-Stones (see TR test)...and the B-stones are generally considered faster than the Falkens...which is why all the National SpecCivics run them.

The B-stones have softish sidewalls...less of a problem on a 2000# Civic, more of a problem on a 2700# Focus. Might be OK for my 2300# ZX2. Thing is...there is no way I can beat a Civic on the same tires as a Civic (Jason Frank runs 205/45-16F and 195/50-15 R). I have a better Tq-to-weight ratio...but still lose on tire-to-weight if I run the same as them.

Back on topic...The beef, if there is one, on the Falkens is that they are not heat resisitant and that they have a very defined fall-off at 10/10ths of the envelope. They have great turn-in and slightly less overall grip than the B-stones...but if they are pushed too far, they are hard to reel back in. The heat thing can be somewhat dealt with by spraying.

I'll be on Z1s to start the season. 215/40-17s (7.5" wheel) on front and 195/55-15s (7.0" wheel) on back. The 215/40-17 is a wide tire and measures about 8 1/8"...which I believe is even wider than the Falken. The 195s measure 7 7/16"...about the same as a 205/50 Falken. Z1s are on closeout at TR and there is a $50 rebate for a set/4. The new Z1 "Star Spec" will be in very soon. It is basically the same tire with a revised compound that comes up to temp more quickly. Jury is out if that is good or not-so-much as it is unclear if overheating will now be an issue on a tire that was heretofore very tolerant of heat. Could be an issue on 2-driver cars or heavy cars: i.e. Focus.

Lastly...shaved tires can actually outlast unshaved tires if they are not street driven. They will also be faster.
___/\_____/\_____/\_____/\___
Old 03-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #13
Dcl2049
MyCarBreaksAlot

I am street sriving them. I don't want to run 2 sets of rims. These will be my daily driver tires.

Also, I suck. I'm a rookie. You won't see me at Nationals probably ever. So what would you say with that info?
Dan - gumpcrew #4
Old 03-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #14
Auto-X-ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Points 318, Level 6
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcl2049 View Post
I am street sriving them. I don't want to run 2 sets of rims. These will be my daily driver tires.

Also, I suck. I'm a rookie. You won't see me at Nationals probably ever. So what would you say with that info?
Unshaved Z1s just won a NT on a heavy STU car...would bet they are faster. They are on close out and have a rebate, so they are likely cheaper than the Falkens.

So we have (likely) faster and (likely) cheaper...and awsome rain performance for the street.

...um, boy, I dunno what to say.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #15
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I'm only going by what I've seen at events around this state.
And as I mentioned, the Dunlops have had a horrible showing from what I've seen.
Maybe it's the temps (we have a lot of 90°+ event days), maybe it's the cars (a couple STIs ran them, a Vette, don't remember what else),
or maybe it's the drivers pushing them too hard?
Most of us that want to do well, are spraying our tires after each run at those (heat) events.
I'm definitely aware of the heat issues with the RT-615.

As far as Nationals, I only give the tire companies 1/2 credit for who wins what class.
Bridgestone has had a contingency package for quite a while.
Falken (IIRC) has never had one.
If you go to Nationals, and have a chance at placing, why wouldn't you run the tires that you can make some money on?

Course, with all that said...
Unless Falken comes out with a new tire, I'll be on something different once this set is wore out.
I do believe competition improves the bread, and as each company is coming out with a new tire they're getting better and better.
Falken set the benchmark a while ago with the RT-215, but it's since been surpassed by several tires now.

I'm still anxious to see what the new Kumho does.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
Dcl2049
MyCarBreaksAlot

Shoot, why don't we have an Auto-X tire sticky?
Dan - gumpcrew #4
Old 03-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #17
Auto-X-ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Points 318, Level 6
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
As far as Nationals, I only give the tire companies 1/2 credit for who wins what class.
Bridgestone has had a contingency package for quite a while.
Falken (IIRC) has never had one.
If you go to Nationals, and have a chance at placing, why wouldn't you run the tires that you can make some money on?
If you are going to Nationals and know that 'you have a chance', more than likely you're going to put on the best that you can--contingency or not. Alot of testing, particularly by Andy Hollis, was done to show that the B-stones are several 1/10th faster on a 60second course. The $$$ is just gravey.

Quote:
I'm still anxious to see what the new Kumho does.
As am I. I'll jump ship if they are faster...
Old 03-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #18
eventerke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41299
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 eventerke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcl2049 View Post
Shoot, why don't we have an Auto-X tire sticky?
'cause we can't decide on the sticky Auto-X tire?
Old 03-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #19
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^^^LOL!!!
That's a good point!
We do have this "sticky" in the tires forum:
Read First: Focus Competition Tires: Info, Links, and Reviews
Old 04-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #20
GaryS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32600
What I Drive: 2005 Yellow ZX3, 1990 Mazda Miata (

FF Reputation: 4 GaryS Good Standing Member
I just want to clarify something:

The Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 you hear/see winning is the Star Spec model.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.