Expertise Needed - "Missing" at High RPM - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I don't recall fuel pump problems on the SVT though.
Well, extremely rare instances anyway.

If what people are getting at is the standard models having fuel pump recalls, I highly doubt this is the problem with your car.
Though, the symptoms are familiar.

Check the coil wiring first, as that is a known problem.
Also, check the wiring going to the MAF.
Those are also really tight, and could pull out/fray/break.

Have you looked to see if any error codes are stored???
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #12
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,656, Level 78
Points: 14,656, Level: 78 Points: 14,656, Level: 78 Points: 14,656, Level: 78
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
what kind of plugs did you use?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #13
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,426, Level 86
Points: 18,426, Level: 86 Points: 18,426, Level: 86 Points: 18,426, Level: 86
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 49 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Alex I'll take VCT issue for $1,000 please.

The rpm seems about right, recent oil change, pretty consistent in your specified range and heat does affect oils viscosity. From what I understand of Fords VCT system it is purely passive and oil pressure dependent (but I'm not sure on that).
Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #14
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,656, Level 78
Points: 14,656, Level: 78 Points: 14,656, Level: 78 Points: 14,656, Level: 78
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
nope, doubt vct at all. If theres a vct issue it wouldnt cause a miss at a certain rpm, it;ll throw alot of things out of whack at once and not just for a split second.
The svt is known for not liking certain brands/types of plugs tho. (mine absolutely hates ngk and bosch plugs and will not run right until i go back to autolites or motorcraft)
Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 PM   #15
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Is there any way to tell which cylinder it could be? (if it is even isolated to one at all)

I am not claiming to know much about this problem but someone please educate me if I am wrong. He says it happens under hard cornering when g-forces are probably at their highest. Maybe it is a combination of the amount of fuel in the tank, weak fuel pump, and maybe the location of the cylinder. Say he takes a corner very fast. The apex is probably when the forces on the car are probably the most as he is acceleration hard outta the turn. There is a weak fuel pump which as fuel moves to one side of the tank, cannot feed the motor well. These two things could cause the miss when the car needs the fuel most.

As for cylinder location maybe the pump cannot supply the rail properly under a hard corner causing the cylinder farthest from the pump to run lean for a very short period of time. Keep in mind this last point is entirely speculation so please educate me if I am wrong.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:55 PM   #16
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43232
What I Drive: 04 EAP ZX5 SVTF

FF Reputation: 31 BlackJack03 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I was going to suggest a fuel pump or fuel system issue as well, maybe something clogged along the way preventing fuel from flowing more quickly for higher rpms. Maybe the plugs are faulty and it's just invisible to you...
Old 04-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #17
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 235,208, Level 100
Points: 235,208, Level: 100 Points: 235,208, Level: 100 Points: 235,208, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Pull the fuel filter and change it out anyway.If you don't find ignition issues. it really sounds like an ignition, plug wire issue; as that is what you just replaced. I always look to work I just did for the problem. Put the old wires back on and see if the problem goes away. Its VERY rare, but we had a bad wire set once, right out of the box.

Timing belt would not go away, and fuel would not want to clean up either. I really do think its ignition.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #18
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for all the tips!

I've made a list and will be working from simple to complicated.

I'll dig into it over the next few days as time permits.

For now, the car is parked and I am driving the grocery getter, but I will give an update as things sort themselves out!

Thanks again!

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 04-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #19
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Gremlins...It has to be gremlins, and not the AMC variety either.

The little bastages that get into things and cause general mayhem with no obvious cause.

What I have done thus far to diagnose:

1. Replaced new wires with the old wires (to determine if there is a fault in the wires)

2. Inspected the plugs again and regapped (all appear to be fine)

3. Rechecked connections at the coil (including sensors and plug wires - all appear to be fine)

Ran the car for a spirited drive into the 5000+ RPM range. 1st gear, no issue. 2nd gear, no issue. 3rd Gear - WHAMMO same problem. Dropped 300 revs and the car "lurched" back to speed.

Next steps:

1. Refitted the new wires,

2. Double checked coil connections

3. Replaced fuel filter

4. Inspected and cleaned the MAF. Used a hair dryer to affect temperature change and I gently tapped it with a screwdriver. No adverse results. So, I think the MAF is working properly.

Ran the car for a spirited drive and had the same result, but the hiccup was not as pronounced.

At this point, I am inclined to replace the coil and the sensor wiring harness. I will do that this weekend and see if there is any improvement.

I will also do a fuel pressure test, but I am less inclined to believe that there is an issue with the fuel system, but I am not ruling it out.

Anyone know a good priest that is available in the evenings and weekends to perform automotive exorcisms?

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 04-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #20
1stTimeFocus00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 44202
What I Drive: 2000 InfaRed Zx3

FF Reputation: 27 1stTimeFocus00 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
hahaha, every1 pray for his car. I have a hard time thinking it might be your coil itself. Im thinking it mite be the harnesses connecting to it. I had a similar problem. Actually very similar more i try to recall it. It would rev up and then itd catch itself and itd be fine but then itd stumble. I know mine is a reg zetec so i dont know if itll be the same problem.
Zetec Crew #152
United States Army

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.