So you're planning on going FI - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-25-2008, 11:23 PM   #61
jnorton05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43027
What I Drive: 2005 Red ZX4

FF Reputation: 5 jnorton05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That was an awesome write up!!! I have been searching all over the threads trying to find info cuz i want to turbo my car here within the next year. you def got a rep point from me.
Sedan Revolution #54
Team Duratec #107
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #62
Wagamos
Stock

Fan#: 21396
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3; 03 ZX3 PZEV

Points 9,489, Level 65
Points: 9,489, Level: 65 Points: 9,489, Level: 65 Points: 9,489, Level: 65
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 Wagamos Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Thanks!

No one has anything else to add?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #63
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
you pretty much hit the nail on the head man good job

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 03-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #64
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I have a little to add......

AIR TO WATER

Another Con
You are also limited by heat soak of the water, once the water becomes heated it will only cool so much due to the small coolers that most companies supply in their kits. Its definitly not as efficient as air to air but it is more practical when dealing with limited spacing.

Chemical Cooling

External Cooling

Spraying on either intercoolers or blower housings are another way of helping to control boost temps.

One way is to use high pressure liquids/gases using a spray bar or injector to where the liquid is administered to the outside of the intercooler (or a roots blower housing) in which the liquids cold temperature OR high rate of evaperation supplies additional means of cooling.

Different brands used are SnowPerformance, Cryo Cool and of course Nitrous.. do NOT confuse the Cryo Cool spray bar with the "bulb" setup... the bulb is VERY inefficient and is not worth mentioning any further.

Internal Cooling

Even though SnowPerformance and Nitrous can be used as an external means of cooling they are FAR more effective if you inject them INTO the boost. When injected they are better atomized and transfer heat at a higher rate (actually in this case it would be removing heat)

I'm not going into the cooling properties of nitrous... since its obvious about how and why its used.

Meth/Water injection is a great way to cool your boost... in an experiment that Tom showed me we sprayed Meth on the outside of an intake manifold and even without running the car the manifold became cold to the touch... I would guess by 20*F if not more, so you can imagine how good it would work if you injected it directly into the boost.

CONS

The biggest and most obvious con is that with ANY form of chemical cooling you have to keep refilling it and refills aren't free. BUT when you are limited by space or design (roots/JRSC) chemical cooling is still better than no cooling at all.

Personally I use Meth injection, but only as a SAFETY system I do not tune for it.
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 03-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #65
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!

Fan#: 32772
What I Drive: Miata, STi, GSXR1k

Points 20,500, Level 90
Points: 20,500, Level: 90 Points: 20,500, Level: 90 Points: 20,500, Level: 90
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 54 Turbo Turtle Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (25)
i heard some where that you can just use windshield washer fluid in your water/meth injection because it is just methanol and water. ever heard that john.

i plan on using water/meth as well. just got to get the parts that i am going to actually tune for first, lol.

facebook.com/TurboTurtleGarage
TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Old 03-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #66
FOCUS_2.3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54457
What I Drive: 2003 brown Focus

FF Reputation: 1 FOCUS_2.3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03OrangeSVT View Post
CRANKSHAFTS
No one makes one... why you just dont need it. Tom is the only one I know of that has broken a crank... at 720whp.
Try this link.
http://www.focussport.com/ford_focus_crankshafts.htm
Old 03-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #67
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tls_bmx View Post
i heard some where that you can just use windshield washer fluid in your water/meth injection because it is just methanol and water. ever heard that john.

i plan on using water/meth as well. just got to get the parts that i am going to actually tune for first, lol.
I use the washer resivour and fluid in mine most of the time, but I also have a kill switch so I can only run it when I feel its needed... instead all of the time.

I know Cosworth made cranks but for all practicle reasons the chances of actually breaking a crank in a street Focus is VERY slim.
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 04-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #68
LayinLo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52565
What I Drive: 2003 TB Evo, Gixxa

FF Reputation: 1 LayinLo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Very nice write-up. Should be helpful to most.

I disagree with this stement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03OrangeSVT
Turbo LAG... modern turbos do not have turbo lag, older ones did the newer ones do not. What alot of people PERCIEVE as lag is the way a turbo comes on, as soon as you hit the throttle you can see boost on the boost gauge so that alone tells you there is no lag.. BUT turbos hit so hard they feel like it all comes at once and most people dont even notice that the boost starts building immediatly.
When most refer to lag, they are talking about: a) when the turbo begins to spool and, b) how long does it take to reach full boost.

a) Can be many different places in the rpm range depending on what mods are done and the engine. Cams, free flowing exhaust, downpipe size, exhaust housing size, all contribute to spool characteristics.

b) It is a fact that some turbos do take longer to spool. Yes, you are correct that as soon as a load is placed on the engine and more exhaust gas flows, the turbo begins to spool as it comes out of vacuum. Some of the larger turbos can take 1000's of rpms to reach full boost, where as some of the smaller turbos with lighter wheel configurations take only 100's of rpms. The trade off being top end power and low end torque.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #69
svt_gEEk
oldFart

Fan#: 18578
What I Drive: nothing

FF Reputation: 3 svt_gEEk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I have a suggestion. This is a great article for anyone debating on which FI to go with but it doesn't really tell much about the components of a system. For people like myself, I already knew the pros and cons of turbo and SC and the different types of SC. However, as far as the components in a system and what each does, I have no idea. I am starting my turbo build and buying components seperately but I'm not sure what I need and what would be nice extras. I've seen terms like boost controllers, wastegates, blow-off valves, diverters, etc... and don't know the difference in their functions and what I need for my system. Maybe a write up listing components involved in each type of system and a breif explanation of what they do would be nice.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #70
Aku
Sneeze

Fan#: 57726
What I Drive: 04 R32T, 94 CBR

Points 9,984, Level 66
Points: 9,984, Level: 66 Points: 9,984, Level: 66 Points: 9,984, Level: 66
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 4 Aku Good Standing Member