Weighed my car yesterday...... - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #101
Schroeder02

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2013 Red ST & 2009 Focus Race Car

FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Did you take the interior sound deadening out also, what about the AC?

I have yet to put my on a set of scales.

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #102
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Memberbesthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
ya tparker is so stripped he uses an ipod and headphones as a radio.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #103
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Fan#: 45801
What I Drive: SC 5.0 FOFO BUILD IN PROGRESS

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing MemberSquillyB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by besthaticouldo View Post
ya tparker is so stripped he uses an ipod and headphones as a radio.

LMAO...so true
Old 02-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #104
pelotonracer2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49917
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 17 pelotonracer2 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquillyB View Post
Everyone knows a while back I stripped my fofo when I started dragging it. Pulled out two layers of DynaMat, the 10K system, passenger seat, back seat, head liner, even cut out extra metal from the trunk and under carriage, everything not neccasary came off or out. With me in it at the dump it weighed 2490, I am 190-200 depending on lunch.

The most stripped focus I have ever seen belongs to TParker so you would have to ask him for his weight. He was the guy that should me where to remove extra sheet metal and what not.
Did you remove your power window and power sunroof motors? Air conditioning?

I'm going to go a little more unconventional in the weight reduction methods (further than just gutting).

The first time I weighed my car it weighed 2,670 pounds with absolutely nothing removed. 1/4 tank of gas or so.

Since then I've removed nearly 140 pounds and my car still has a back seat and full interior. I saved 36 pounds with a Braille battery. It weighes only 11.5 pounds on my scale. I cut 13.7 pounds from my factory hood. I effectively removed 5.5 pounds when I installed the CFM HFC, my spare, jack, rod etc weighed another 35 pounds. I saved an even 40 pounds total with the wheels and tires I'm now using (including lightweight lugnuts).

I haven't even started removing the heavy stuff yet (front seats (putting in lightweight seats), back seats, fenders (replacing with carbon fiber replacements), hatch (carbon fiber), electric power motors, sound deadner, carpet, trim, bumpers (I'll have my own made), sunroof glass (replaced with a CF cover) and the list goes on and on. I will then replace most of my non essential nuts, bolts, screws and fasteners with aluminum and Ti replacements. Some other drilling and cutting.

Wish I could remove the airbags as that is a source of SIGNIFICANT weight but that would make the car no longer street legal.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:03 PM   #105
Schroeder02

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2013 Red ST & 2009 Focus Race Car

FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
The only things I haven’t removed yet are the AC, the Airbags, sunroof, un-needed wires and center console. I don’t think I will cut off any brackets though. I should be fairly close, my goal it to be under 2500 with out me.

I also have new front sets that are about 20lbs each.

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #106
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing MemberSquillyB Excellent Standing Member
My car:
removed excess metal from the following: trunk, rear qurters, hood, under carriage, doors.
The head liner, front seat, rear seats, and factory carpet and fire blanket were removed. The ac was temporarily removed, the heater unit. Most of the factory nuts and bolts on the interior were replaced with aluminum when we did the initial setup for sq comp. back in the day (06). There were no factory installed locks or window motors when I purchased it. I added aftermarket window motors @ 1.6 lbs each including hardware. The entire factory air delivery system was removed, rear splash guards, factory foam and sound deadening materials were removed from inside and under the car. Heat shield and a majority of the heavy ass factory exhaust were removed. The only weight I added was in foaming the frame and certain body panels got one layer of Dynamat extreme. Also some suspension mods added or took away weight, ie. strut bars, factory shocks and other factory crap was removed or replaced. I am in the market for CF panels but haven't been able to find to much. I went the hard road and started fiberglassing my own. I have been making molds for the past three months or so.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #107
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Dont forget, I drive a ZX4, NOT a ZX3.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #108
pelotonracer2
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder02 View Post
The only things I haven’t removed yet are the AC, the Airbags, sunroof, un-needed wires and center console. I don’t think I will cut off any brackets though. I should be fairly close, my goal it to be under 2500 with out me.

I also have new front sets that are about 20lbs each.
According to my initial weigh in @ 2,670 pounds and removing exactly 144.25 pounds (to be exact) I should be right at 2,525 pounds without even starting the gutting process or replacing some of the heavier stuff with lightweight replacement parts.

Which car did you gut out? I see you have an SVT and an ST.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #109
pelotonracer2
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquillyB View Post
My car:
removed excess metal from the following: trunk, rear qurters, hood, under carriage, doors.
The head liner, front seat, rear seats, and factory carpet and fire blanket were removed. The ac was temporarily removed, the heater unit. Most of the factory nuts and bolts on the interior were replaced with aluminum when we did the initial setup for sq comp. back in the day (06). There were no factory installed locks or window motors when I purchased it. I added aftermarket window motors @ 1.6 lbs each including hardware. The entire factory air delivery system was removed, rear splash guards, factory foam and sound deadening materials were removed from inside and under the car. Heat shield and a majority of the heavy ass factory exhaust were removed. The only weight I added was in foaming the frame and certain body panels got one layer of Dynamat extreme. Also some suspension mods added or took away weight, ie. strut bars, factory shocks and other factory crap was removed or replaced. I am in the market for CF panels but haven't been able to find to much. I went the hard road and started fiberglassing my own. I have been making molds for the past three months or so.

Dont forget, I drive a ZX4, NOT a ZX3
Makes sense now for the extra weight. I thought you had a ZX3
Old 02-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #110
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Pelotonracer2, you will be able to drop a lot more than that if you really try.

And for making your own bumpers, you might be able to buy them from me by then, I should be done with all the molds within the next two-three months. Here's a couple pics of the build process...
foam...

Glass...

bondo...

Finished piece...

new weight of bumper... 8 lbs heavier than stock (crappy), having over 2000 CFM...priceless. There are trade offs for removing or adding weight depending on the application.
Not trying to thread jack, just want you to know I've been doing glass and body work for a while now and that 1 piece took me three months to be ready for the Cloud9 paint. Making your own is gonna be a rough road but well worth it. When I'm done I will have a "one of a kind" focus, which not many people can say.

Bookmarks & Social Networks