O/D Off light...help? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
jupe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53104
What I Drive: 2005 silver Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 jupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
O/D Off light...help?

I'm so confused by the Focus manual; I hope someone here can help. Should the light on the dashboard that reads "O/D Off" be ON or OFF? I never noticed it before (I'm not automotively savvy) until one day it was flashing. Since then, it remains UNilluminated.
Based on the manual, it SEEMS to me that that's a BAD thing, that the light should be on, meaning that the overdrive is off. So I've been turning the light on manually, with the button on the gearshift, meaning that I'm turning the overdrive off.
Is this correct? Should I be worried about this?

Thank you!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
The only way to turn the light on is with the button on the gear shift.
In normal conditions the light should not be on for highway driving.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
In normal driving the light should be OFF, so that the O/D can work and provide better gas mileage, particularly at highway speeds. By pressing the button and turing the light on, you are locking-out the O/D, causing the car to never shift into O/D.

The only time I put the light on (locking out the O/D) is when I am driving around at lower speeds in the City and the vehicle is frequently shifting in and out of O/D, never going fast enough to stay in O/D for more than 10-15 seconds.

The manual says:

"D (Overdrive) [note: O/D light is OFF in this mode]
[This is] The normal driving position for the best fuel economy; transaxle operates in gears one through four. D (Overdrive) can be deactivated by pressing the transaxle control switch on the end of the gearshift lever. This will illuminate the O/D OFF lamp and activate Drive.

Drive (not shown)
Drive is activated when the transaxle control switch is pressed:
• This position allows for all forward gears except overdrive.
• O/D OFF lamp is illuminated.
• Provides engine braking.
• Use when driving conditions cause excessive shifting from O/D to
other gears. Examples: city traffic, hilly terrain, heavy loads, trailer
towing and when engine braking is required.
• To return to O/D (overdrive mode), press the transaxle control switch.
The O/D OFF lamp will not be illuminated.
• O/D (Overdrive) is automatically returned each time the key is turned
off."

If the light is flashing, that means something different. The manual says:

"If the light flashes steadily or does not illuminate, have the transmission serviced soon, or damage may occur." [Note: this wording may be somewhat confusing... it might be clearer if it said "If the light flashes steadily or does not illuminate WHEN YOU PRESS THE TRANSAXLE CONTROL SWITCH , have the transmission serviced soon, or damage may occur.

The flashing light means a problem as been detected. You should tell the dealer about this and have it checked out.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
jupe
Focus Rookie

First of all, thanks for your responses!

Second, to answer your questions, most of the driving I do is on city streets. So if I understand you correctly, I *should* press the button then, so that the light is illuminated? And turn it off, so that O/D is on, when I'm on the highway?

It did its flashing bit only once, a couple of weeks ago. Most of the time, I turn on the car & the light is off. So does that mean it's probably OK?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
jupe..........the "normal" mode IS light OFF, OD enabled. Even if you push the button and put the light ON (OD disabled), if you turn the engine off, when you start the engine the next time.........the light will be OFF........in other words, it "resets" to light OFF on every start. It is absolutely OK!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
MCPayne
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 43185
What I Drive: 2001 Focus ZX3 Automatic

FF Reputation: 1 MCPayne Good Standing Member
As stated, the light should be OFF in normal driving conditions, and I wouldn't recommend pushing the button to disengage the overdrive, as this will prevent the transmission from going into overdrive when you go above 45 mph or so. Because of this, the engine runs at a higher RPM and burns more fuel. So simply put, make sure the light is OFF whenever you drive for maximum fuel efficiency and better mileage.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
jupe
Focus Rookie

Thanks very much! I'm relieved.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #8
jroesner
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 48183
What I Drive: 2001 Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 jroesner Good Standing Member
Reread Penguins advice..

Quote:
>>The flashing light means a problem as been detected. You should tell the dealer about this and have it checked out. <<
Before you get too relieved, you had a flashing OD light. That lists as a transmission problem. Maybe a one time 'hiccup' but better to be safe then sorry. Keep your eye on it.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
Jeez, I must be losing it.......I totally missed jupe's sentence that the OD light had previously been flashing, when I dolled out my answer. Yes, if the OD light starts flashing, the tranny could have a problem and should be checked out.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:12 AM   #10
myHocusFocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53968
What I Drive: 2000 silver Focus

FF Reputation: 1 myHocusFocus Good Standing Member
same prob but a little different

(arrrrgh!) my o/d light flickered "once or twice" then remained illuminated permanently. i've pushed the little button under the gear shift and nothing happens. the light remains on. it's been on since tuesday, today is saturday. i use the freeway (22 miles rt) to drive from home to work each day.

any suggs on how to get this friggin' light "off"? the car is NOT under warranty anymore. the ford dealership wants an $80 fee to check it out. no other transmission "warning signals" had been noticed (leakage, hesitating, etc)

Bookmarks & Social Networks