How-To: Paint Chip Repair - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Tom
FF Founder

Fan#: 2
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen ZX3 SES Turbo

FF Reputation: 60 Tom Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
How-To: Paint Chip Repair

Despite the technological advances in paint over the last hundred years, an automobile's exterior comes under heavy assault the instant the car rolls off the production line. Door dings, bird droppings, corrosive rain, winter road salt and ocean fog all take their toll on that thin layer of color that protects your vehicle's steel body from the elements. Rock chips are especially damaging, as unlike contaminants that slowly eat away at the paint, rock chips cut all the way down to bare metal without prior warning. That allows moist air immediate access and surface rust soon follows. Worse yet, the rust can spread like a cancer beneath previously undamaged paint, so it's best to fix the damage and seal the hole as quickly as possible.

Clean the Injury
Begin by thoroughly cleaning the repair area with a standard car detergent and water solution. Rinse all soap residue from the area and allow to dry completely. Using a fiberglass pencil (available at most auto parts stores in the paint and body department), carefully remove rust and loose paint from the chipped area. Fiberglass dust is a severe irritant, so be sure to wash your hands when finished and don't breathe or allow the dust to contact your eyes while working. Hopefully the chip is fresh and rust hasn't had a chance to take hold, but if the metal has been exposed to the elements for some time, it may be necessary to use a tiny piece of 800-grit sandpaper to remove all traces of rust from the area.

Fill the Crater
Determine the manufacturer's color code for your vehicle (check owner's manual to find out where the data plate is located) and obtain a small bottle of touch-up paint from your local dealer or auto parts store. Brush thin coats of paint across the repair area, allowing each coat to fully dry before applying the next. If the chip is very small, you can use a sliver of thin cardboard to dab the paint into the hole. Fill in the chipped area one layer at a time until the new paint is higher than the surrounding factory paint. Allow at least 24 hours for the final coat of paint to harden.

Blend the Repair
Starting with a small piece of 1500-grit wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around a small foam-rubber sanding block, slowly sand down the raised touch-up paint. Dip the sandpaper into a container of water regularly to rinse removed paint from the abrasive. Try to sand only the touch-up paint, as the factory paint surrounding the chip is quite thin and will not handle very much sanding. As the touch-up paint nears the same height as the factory paint, change to 2000-grit wet-dry paper for final sanding. The paint in the area will take on a matte appearance, which is then polished to a glossy finish using a small amount of rubbing compound on a clean cloth. Follow with your usual auto wax or polish to give the fresh paint a protective coating. The quality of the repair will depend on your work and how well the touch-up paint matches your factory paint. But regardless of results, the ugly crater will be filled and your vehicle's sheetmetal will be protected from additional exposure. And if the repair goes well, no one will notice that the chip was ever there!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
loudfocus01
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26006
What I Drive: 2001 White LX 2002 Infra-Red Svt

FF Reputation: 107 loudfocus01 Excellent Standing Memberloudfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Very nice how-to Tom.
I'm sure it'll come in handy for many people on this site.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
fast_ryda
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20772
What I Drive: 2002 SC Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 3 fast_ryda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
very nice...i always skipped the sanding part.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
hillandl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22346
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 hillandl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Great man, thanks for the information.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Als RS8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53271
What I Drive: maroon lx

FF Reputation: 1 Als RS8 Good Standing Member
right on bud ill remember that !!!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Chick

Fan#: 151
What I Drive: '11 Fiesta SES, '13 Civic Si Sedan

FF Reputation: 133 Chick Excellent Standing MemberChick Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_ryda View Post
very nice...i always skipped the sanding part.
I have always skipped it too just because I was afraid I would mess up something. Next time though I will give it a try.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Als RS8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53271
What I Drive: maroon lx

FF Reputation: 1 Als RS8 Good Standing Member
chip repair

my car has four chips on the left front door, and am hopeing to

fix it up ! there are little chips and shouldnt be hard to fix.

lol was the chips hard to fix?
Old 05-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing MemberCJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Great info. I got a couple of chips I would like to repair. This will help. Thanx.
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Old 05-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
BansheeBruce
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 55586
What I Drive: 2000 White SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 BansheeBruce Good Standing Member
Another product you can try is Langka or Mothers Paint Chip repair. You can fill the chip hole and level it off without sanding. Works good! www.langka.com
Old 05-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Well, experience matters I guess. I followed Toms instructions, but I now have dull areas surrounding the chip repair. I tried using some buffing compound but it seems to have made it worse. I tried putting a coat of Mequiars GOLD on it but it does not really help. I have this dull blotch now. Any suggestions? NOTE: I screwed up when applying the buffing compound by using a circular motion which has aggravated the dulling effect I am sure.
Last of the Hatches #28

Bookmarks & Social Networks