SVT Engine Rebuild Cost? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-19-2008, 12:47 AM   #21
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
you will have to remove the jrsc.
don't remove the cams, theres no need to if your not rebuilding it (even if you are they can be removed later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 01:59 AM   #22
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
um, I was under the impression that you can't get to the head studs unless you take the cams out...

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 01-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #23
tczx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48551
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 (SVT Eng/Tran), 2002 SVTF

FF Reputation: 32 tczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I think loco might have thought matt was pulling the motor out, not just the head off. Pull the jrsc. Pull the timing belt, (un-tension it correctly), pull the cam gears (not absolutely necc, but easier to do with cam in the head), pull the cams (loosen each cam cap bolt 1-2 turns each and work down the line), Pull the head bolts, and pull the head. If you need any specifics holler!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #24
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
He'll need to know torque specs for the JSRC. It should be different than intake mani torque.

Lucky break on the head gasket. If I were you, I'd also do some searching for either a copper head gasket, or a high strength composite gasket to handle more boost. Contact Tom at Focus-Power in our Vendor Section. His SVT turbo puts more pressure on a head gasket than your supercharger will- so he knows what's best to do. There's no sense in having to do it again unless something else goes wrong. I personally wouldn't trust an over the counter gasket on a forced induction car pushing more than 8 psi, and what's the fun of that? Build it so you can convert to the big boost pulley without worries!!!

OOPS scratch the copper gasket idea- you'd have to have the head and the deck checked/planed for that.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #25
tczx3
Focus Enthusiast

As a side note- The oem head bolts can be used twice. So you can reuse them this time or replace with ARP. Second, to reinstall the head correctly you'll nead a good torgue wrench, preferably one with degrees because the final torque is 90* from previous torque. You can do the 90* by eye but a t wrench that does it for you is more accurate.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #26
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom

Fan#: 52400
What I Drive: 12 SE, 91 DR350S, 74 CL360

FF Reputation: 12 mellephants Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Saturday!

Well, I'll work on removing the jrsc now. Why would the cam gears need to come off? I don't need to work on them.... Do I?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #27
tczx3
Focus Enthusiast

You don't have to take them off, but, I'd rec replacing the seals that are behind the gears while it's apart and you'll want to loosen them to re-time the belt when you re-install the cams and belt. Also, I've seen a cam with a gear on it roll off the workbench and bounce off the floor! They don't roll as easy with the gear off! lol
Old 01-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #28
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom

ah, okay. sounds good. i'm still trying to get the jrsc off.

can't get at the lower manifold/head nuts without taking the starter off; can't take the starter off without removing that downpipe section of the exhaust; those bolts are rusted mutha's. i snapped the three header/downpipe bolts while trying to loosen them with penetrating spray. I'm working on doing the same on the two bolts on the downpipe/cat-back junction... but since they want to round off, i'm using the cut-off wheel on them.

wheedly-dee, at least now i can wrap the header pipes and replace the cat more easily.

its almost time for me to head back to my house, so this might be it for this week. thanks for the help, and look for more questions next weekend.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #29
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
WOW dont know why i didnt notice this before, but im in urbana too. PM me if you want to chill sometime. I'd be more than happy to come help you with your motor...

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 01-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #30
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom

Turns out it was easier to take the head+JRSC out together, then separate them.

So I'm looking at valve replacement at a machine shop... I'll probably get the head ported, polished, & matched to JRSC there as well.

Oh, I couldn't figure out the intake cam gear... the exhaust gear just slips off when the bolt is out. When I took the bolt out of the intake cam (this one is spring-loaded), some oil came out, but the cam didnt come off. It's actually not really a bolt, more of a cover that looks like a bolt from the outside.

Thanks for all the help, and now can I get parts recommendations. Please suggest where, not just what to buy.

"To buy" so far:
Valves!
Head bolts
Serpentine belt
Gaskets (Head, Intake, Exhaust, thermostat, etc)
Cam seals
Timing belt
Water pump
Thermostat
Fresh vacuum and radiator hoses
Fluids
LSD, BBK, 3" Exhaust - I wish, haha

Bookmarks & Social Networks