Spec Focus Build - what does it cost - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #11
06Roush
Banned

Fan#: 45862
What I Drive: Frankenstien

FF Reputation: 60 06Roush Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
ok would u be able to run in the spec focus if u were running a different kinda shocks? say agx's or something of that nature?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #12
LCR
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 36358
What I Drive: 2002 Gray Sedan

FF Reputation: 5 LCR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Roush View Post
ok would u be able to run in the spec focus if u were running a different kinda shocks? say agx's or something of that nature?
You would have to run in PT or HPDE at the NASA event. The Spec Car is for the vehicle built with the spec parts per the NASA rules.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:44 AM   #13
walshka07
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48052
What I Drive: 2004 Subaru WRX

FF Reputation: 1 walshka07 Good Standing Member
i used to have a focus... now ive got a wrx, but that doesnt really matter, i want another focus and its going to be a spec focus car, however, it will be a spec focus race car, fun weekend car, HPDE car, and hopefully eventually start a following in texas. anyways here is my question, i ask it because i dont want to have just a spec focus car because NASA events only have 2 races a weekend, i want to be able to run in SCCA too, so im wondering at what class it would run in, honestly im not worried about the car being competitive right now in SCCA, but what class would the car slot into? the car i want would be a 2005 ZX3 and depending on the money i have to work with, i would either build the 2.0 to spec or swap in a 2.3. what are your thoughts on my plans and what class in SCCA would the car slot into? thanks

Matt
Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #14
MattMarks
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46203
What I Drive: 2005 ZX 4 ST Spec Focus

FF Reputation: 1 MattMarks Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
First - welcome to the Spec Focus brotherhood - have some of our cool-aid!

Love your plans - here are my thoughts on the Spec Focus build. The nice thing about the 2.3 motor is that you won't run into a lot of costs once the swap is complete - no internal motor work is allowed. It's plug and play. With the Zetec, you're really going to need the Ford Racing Head/Cams and intake manifold sooner rather than later. If you feel comfortable doing that work yourself, that may not be a bad way to go. However, I think you'll really like the 2.3 motor a lot better - more torque and less install headaches. Not sure what they run for around your area, but there are running examples in the Wash DC area here for around $700 or so. Cheap Cheap!

You have two choices in SCCA. You can run SSC (Showroom Stock), which requires a full interior, stock suspension, and a bunch of other stock pieces. Or, depending on the year of the car, you can run Improved Touring (ITS). As I understand it, the Focus is uncompetive in SSC - you'll be running against mini coopers, etc. and your build costs will be siginificantly higher to be even remotely competitive.

Your other choice is ITS. ITs cars have to be (I think) at least 5 years old, but a car built to Spec Focus specs can be reasonably competitive. Where you'd still be lagging would be in the suspension department, as ITS allows adjustable suspensions and higher spring rates than Spec, but you could expect to run mid-pack (depending on skill) after a year or two in ITS with a car that is 100% Spec legal. See www.improvedtouring.com for rules and other ITS information. This would mean that your car might not be ITS legal until next year - but you could spend this year getting it built and running spec and D.E.'s this year and run both next year. FWIW, I'm in the same boat with my 2005.

ANother option might be to check out ITE - which in the DC area is the "Catch all" class that allows just about any car. Most of these are big 400hp turbo cars, but you're on the track and qualify/run with the whole field, so you're still racing with the same cars you would be if you ran with ITS or SSC. Check with your local region on what the requirements are.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask or PM, and I'll be happy to talk to you.

Matt
Spec Focus Advisory Board - Have a Spec Focus Question? Ask me!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
walshka07
Focus Enthusiast

i would perferably want to use a 2005 ZX3 just like the one i used to have, i loved that car, so it would be between either building the 2.0 duratec or the headache of swapping in a 2.3, i should be able to get a 2.3 for about 500-600, there are a bunch of junkyards in houston, i am a very competent mechinic and i feel totally comfortable doing the cams, valves, springs, intake manifold, and all thats needed on a 2.0. but to make the motor competitive it seems like ill have to put another 2 grand in it, but if i could sell my 2.0 and recoup the cost of the 2.3 and then just do the small amount of mods to the 2.3 i could build the car for less, the only problem would be that whole motor swap. what are your thoughts? how hard is the swap?

Matt
Old 11-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #16
walshka07
Focus Enthusiast

how different are the wiring harnesses from the 2.3 to the 2.0? i figured the swap would be straight forward, but you talk about the wiring like its hell... how much of the 2.0s harness could i use? also would i have to change ECU's or could i just flash the engine to run a 2.3? also tuning is allowed, do you need a flasher of some sort? like my WRX you can just flash the stock ECU without a tuner/flasher... can you do the same with the foucs ECU? i have a bunch of questions if you can tell... ive got a lot more if you dont mind

Matt
Old 11-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #17
NikiterZTS
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 28234
What I Drive: 2002 Gun Grey ZTS

FF Reputation: 5 NikiterZTS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i wanna know what this thing is pushing
http://capaldiracing.com/page6/files...1010-full.html

I have 5 points on this site :-/
Old 11-28-2007, 07:13 PM   #18
MattMarks
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikiterZTS View Post
i wanna know what this thing is pushing
http://capaldiracing.com/page6/files...1010-full.html
I'd bet 250 or so. However, that's Leo's World Challenge car - definately NOT a spec Focus. May want to ask on his forum - he's a site sponsor.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:14 PM   #19
LCR
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 36358
What I Drive: 2002 Gray Sedan

FF Reputation: 5 LCR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshka07 View Post
how different are the wiring harnesses from the 2.3 to the 2.0? i figured the swap would be straight forward, but you talk about the wiring like its hell... how much of the 2.0s harness could i use? also would i have to change ECU's or could i just flash the engine to run a 2.3? also tuning is allowed, do you need a flasher of some sort? like my WRX you can just flash the stock ECU without a tuner/flasher... can you do the same with the foucs ECU? i have a bunch of questions if you can tell... ive got a lot more if you dont mind

Matt

The 2.0 Duratec and the 2.3 Duratec harnesses are interchangable. I have been going 2.0 to 2.3 back and forth all year in the same car. I keep 2 ecu's 1 2.3 and 2.0
Old 11-28-2007, 07:17 PM   #20
MattMarks
Focus Enthusiast

^^^^^ The man himself speaks

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.