Short throw AUTOMATIC shifter - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Performance (2003-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-25-2007, 08:29 AM   #81
Spoonman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51786
What I Drive: 2003 DKBlue 2.3L Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Spoonman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PZEV05ZTW View Post
nope see your wrong i thought the same till i shifted it threw the gears manually ... quicker and eassier push shorter for the shifter to go!
I did something like that to my '03 Focus 2.3PZEV
Only I used a chrome B&M T-Handle (I should have purchased the button model though - that would have taken care of the O\D problem - right now it's routed to a momentary switch hidden under the ashtray)
I however tapped the inside of the shift column, since it is only an aesthetic mod and screwed the t-handle right on. Then I bought a B&M shifter boot and installed it in the place of the black plastic piece that surrounds the shifter base. My problem was that after doing so i can't take the key out of the ignition because of brake shift interlock. Sucky, but pretty. Any ideas on how to bypass\disable the b.s.i?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 08:40 AM   #82
Spoonman
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duratec Foci View Post
I really hope he's not talking about shifting through the gears manually as in throwing it down in 1, then to 2, then D. Keep that up and have fun buying a new tranny. You'll melt the clutch plates to the gears.
Ok. I have heard people say stuff like that before and I'm not sure you're correct but I am no mechanic either - Shifting through the gears in an auto tranny is basically telling the ecu "don't shift out of first yet" - "ok second..." all you are doing is telling the computer when to shift - you're not actually "shifting" the gears yourself. There is nothing manual about it. It's just you instead of the computer so how can it be any harder on the transmission than stomping on it in D?

Last edited by Spoonman; 11-25-2007 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to throw that quote in there...
Old 11-26-2007, 12:28 PM   #83
bdnld4482
Banned

Fan#: 46063
What I Drive: 2012 black focus titanium

FF Reputation: 37 bdnld4482 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
pointless!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #84
honhon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 24778
What I Drive: a better car than a focus.

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
looks good... i would dress it up alittle and install a shift boot... that'll hide it even more... its a good idea.

and my g/f may eventually do this with her auto..

to the negative people posting i say nay... yes some people have auto's and manual trannies are usually the transmission of choice for a tuner... but you have to work with what you got.

and like S2 said, please let it go.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #85
Spoonman
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnld4482 View Post
pointless!
OK. IMAGINE for a second (just a second because we all know you're too good to actually drive an automatic) that you do in fact drive an auto - would you rather have a fat ugly factory THING sticking out of your console or a shiny chrome shiftknob? The answer is obvious. I don't claim any performance gains I just think that if I have performance parts in my car it should look like it, right?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:39 PM   #86
loudfocus01
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26006
What I Drive: 2001 White LX 2002 Infra-Red Svt

FF Reputation: 107 loudfocus01 Excellent Standing Memberloudfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
This guy makes a great point. This mod is strictly for looks. The interior is what you see as the driver more than anything, so might as well make it look nice. I might look into doing this to mine sometime. I hate the stock knob......
Old 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #87
XxXREDZX4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 37202
What I Drive: 2007 Satin Eclipse GS

FF Reputation: 3 XxXREDZX4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
i wanna put a mustang shift knob on mine...one off the 05+ stangs...i think it would look cool.

i dont want to bring up the discussion but i will say having an auto is not bad...it might not have ass hauling performance stock but my lil auto gets up and goes when i need it to now...and even more once i get my cams in. and if i ever feel the need to drive a stick, i have an 89 bronco to drive lol...

but i think his idea is pretty cool.

Sedan Revolution #25!
4 Stars WOOT!!!...onward to 5!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:01 PM   #88
runfocusrun
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43029
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-red ZX5

FF Reputation: 8 runfocusrun Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Hi PZEV05ZTW,
Nice Mod you did. I was thinking of doing something similar but never got to it. I def. state that it looks cool in a ATX and I'm annoyed with that hughe ATX shifter. I found a nice looking ATX shifter with o/d once but I lost the link so...
Would you be kind enough to pm me further info about this, maybe pic during install or the step by step how to 'cause the graphic you showed isn't all that clear to me.
I really would appreciate.
Keep up the good modding and tnxs in advance.
paul.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:18 PM   #89
Khanaar
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49147
What I Drive: 2010 Sangria Red Fusion S

FF Reputation: 8 Khanaar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That mod looks INCREDIBLY wrong. dont try to look like a manual, because now you just look like a fool.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #90
loudfocus01
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26006
What I Drive: 2001 White LX 2002 Infra-Red Svt

FF Reputation: 107 loudfocus01 Excellent Standing Memberloudfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Who says doing this is trying to look like a manual? There are plenty of cars out there with automatics with nice looking shift knobs on them.

Bookmarks & Social Networks