SVT Front Camber Issue, Stock Suspension... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
ProSilverVT02
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33656
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

FF Reputation: 7 ProSilverVT02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
SVT Front Camber Issue, Stock Suspension...

I have posted, searched, spent hours going through the site until my eyes burned and STILL can not find a resolution to fix my camber problem.

I have the stock SVT suspension and can barely make it 5000 miles without chewing up the insides of my front tires. With 3 attempts of alignments and 3 sets of front tires I am running out of money for tires.

With the research I've done I have come up with some options but nothing reasonable. Focus Sport has a front camber kit, but only if you have a coil-over set up (I don't). They have another camber kit but only allows you to adjust up to 1 degree (I need more than that). I have found other camber kits on the internet and the max I can get is 1 degree.

I've also seen that controls arms can be purchased because with the settling springs the control arms were the wrong length?!?!? Is this true with the front or just an issue with the rear? Either or, I heard that is one of the more expensive fixes for this problem.

My last option was to purchase a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs. Yes, I know that they are lower than the SVT springs but since my front springs are weak and have settled too much, I thought that a better quality spring (Eibach) would decrease my camber problem in the front. I know that sounds stupid because if I want to fix this problem, lowering is the wrong way to go. Just to let everybody know, I can barely get one finger between my tire and fender in the front. So the Eibach resolution isn't as crazy as some might think.

I'm pretty much looking for options here, because I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. So what can I do to get my front camber back into spec? Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
..:: sleestak ::..
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

Points 14,152, Level 77
Points: 14,152, Level: 77 Points: 14,152, Level: 77 Points: 14,152, Level: 77
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
wow, the stock springs have settled that much?! how many miles are on them?

I would consider getting new springs to solve the problem. You could get 1.5's and probably lift it a tiny bit. My Apex's are 1.5's and I can fit 2 fingers in there and it aligns just fine.

Another option would be to find a reputable/knowledgeable shop that could slot the holes to give you more adjustability. I have seen it done here locally on autoX cars. But I think that new springs would probably be the better option really....you could upgrade your ride and probably fix the problem.

good luck

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues
Old 11-25-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What are your current camber and toe settings? These numbers will help pinpoint the problem. Lower springs will increase negative camber and its very rare for modern springs to settle. What wheel and tire size are you using and what is the wheel offset? Has the car ever been in an accident?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
BadIdea
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6470
What I Drive: 02 Silver SVT 08 Tundra CrewMax

FF Reputation: 1 BadIdea Good Standing Member
You have some other issue that needs resolved. I ran -3.5 camber for 9 months with minimal inside tire wear. That was maybe 12k miles.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #5
wickedgreyzx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34204
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 Liquid Grey

FF Reputation: 17 wickedgreyzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
sure you don't have bent suspension parts?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
mrprichda2
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 36155
What I Drive: 07 Subaru WRX, 03 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 mrprichda2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSilverVT02 View Post
I have posted, searched, spent hours going through the site until my eyes burned and STILL can not find a resolution to fix my camber problem.

I have the stock SVT suspension and can barely make it 5000 miles without chewing up the insides of my front tires. With 3 attempts of alignments and 3 sets of front tires I am running out of money for tires.

With the research I've done I have come up with some options but nothing reasonable. Focus Sport has a front camber kit, but only if you have a coil-over set up (I don't). They have another camber kit but only allows you to adjust up to 1 degree (I need more than that). I have found other camber kits on the internet and the max I can get is 1 degree.

I've also seen that controls arms can be purchased because with the settling springs the control arms were the wrong length?!?!? Is this true with the front or just an issue with the rear? Either or, I heard that is one of the more expensive fixes for this problem.

My last option was to purchase a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs. Yes, I know that they are lower than the SVT springs but since my front springs are weak and have settled too much, I thought that a better quality spring (Eibach) would decrease my camber problem in the front. I know that sounds stupid because if I want to fix this problem, lowering is the wrong way to go. Just to let everybody know, I can barely get one finger between my tire and fender in the front. So the Eibach resolution isn't as crazy as some might think.

I'm pretty much looking for options here, because I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. So what can I do to get my front camber back into spec? Thanks in advance.
I had the same problem a couple of months ago. I fixed the problem by replacing the stablizer bar that connect from the strut to the sway bar.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
wickedgreyzx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34204
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 Liquid Grey

FF Reputation: 17 wickedgreyzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprichda2 View Post
I had the same problem a couple of months ago. I fixed the problem by replacing the stablizer bar that connect from the strut to the sway bar.
That should have absolutely nothing to do with tire wear, if at most, a tiny tiny marginal effect.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
ProSilverVT02
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..:: sleestak ::.. View Post
wow, the stock springs have settled that much?! how many miles are on them?
60,000, just like you said, it sounds crazy to purchase a "lowering" kit to solve the problem, but an Eibach Pro-Kit would actually raise my front end up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
What are your current camber and toe settings?
Front camber is... Left (-3.4) Right (-3.6)
Front toe is... Left (-0.01) Right (0.00)
Quote:
Lower springs will increase negative camber...
As stated above, the camber is so negative that a lowering kit will actually raise my front end. I know, doesn't make sense but trust me..
Quote:
What wheel and tire size are you using and what is the wheel offset? Has the car ever been in an accident?
I am using the factory SVT 5 spokes with 215/45/17 tires. One accident comes up on Carfax.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
ProSilverVT02
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIdea View Post
You have some other issue that needs resolved. I ran -3.5 camber for 9 months with minimal inside tire wear. That was maybe 12k miles.
You must have been running some seriously hard tires. I was running Fuzion HRi's for about 5,000 miles and I was starting to show belts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedgreyzx3 View Post
sure you don't have bent suspension parts?
I have replaced the front right inner tie rod end and thats it. The conclusion that I was coming to is that my struts are bents, or the springs are weak.
Copied this from babcox.com...
Quote:
Camber or toe wear

Shoulder wear on the inner or outer edge of a tire is often interpreted as camber misalignment. Too much positive camber can accelerate wear on the outer shoulder of a tire just as too much negative camber can accelerate wear on the inner shoulder. Underlying causes can include bent struts, mislocated strut towers, bent spindles, collapsed control arm bushings, even weak springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprichda2 View Post
Been there, done that. The front end made an annoying rattle when I would go over small bumps, so I stuck my head underneath and they were rotted right off. But like wicked said, that fix alone is not going to help my problem.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #10
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSilverVT02 View Post
60,000, just like you said, it sounds crazy to purchase a "lowering" kit to solve the problem, but an Eibach Pro-Kit would actually raise my front end up.

Front camber is... Left (-3.4) Right (-3.6)
Front toe is... Left (-0.01) Right (0.00)

As stated above, the camber is so negative that a lowering kit will actually raise my front end. I know, doesn't make sense but trust me..

I am using the factory SVT 5 spokes with 215/45/17 tires. One accident comes up on Carfax.

Sounds like you bought the car used so some things come to mind. 1) Are you sure it has stock springs on it? Did the previous owner possible lower it. 2) The accident could be one cause but it had to be a pretty good one. That amount of negative camber can not be achieved within the range of allowable stock adjustments. You're lucky if you can get a quarter to half a degree (if that) at most alignments. It's unlikely taller springs will do much. It would take a considerable increase to negate (reduce) that kind of camber. I see if someone has a set of SVT front springs laying around and give them a try (borrow) before you spend serious money on other springs and have them not work.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.