Weighed my car yesterday...... - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #71
HaveBlue83

Fan#: 1358
What I Drive: a car

FF Reputation: 70 HaveBlue83 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
*sniffle*....my lil thread is growing up......she's using big words, and getting into little scuffles with posters, and it makes me soooo proud.......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #72
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelotonracer2 View Post
WD40 are you using the original stock tune where the DSI switchover is at 6000 rpm? (and is the rest of your car bone stock as well?). Also if the stock timing and fuel curves have been modified this would make a noticeable difference.

EDIT: Oh nevermind, I see you have a tune. I am refering to a Focus SVT stock only. Anything that smooths out the powerband of this car is going to help big time (especially if you improve horsepower and torque) and smooth out that rediculous DSI switchover.
Nice correction, but there are a couple points I need to touch on.
Factory 2004 ZED0 tune does have the runners switch at 5,000 rpm.
^^^At least Ford got that right.
And...the rest of my car is bone stock (well...ITG drop in air filter...) engine wise.

The tune helped for sure, but the factory tune for 2004 wasn't lacking as much as previous years when racing.
I also ran it to the factory redline of 7,250, which is only 50rpm short of your 7,300rpm previous example car.
If you're shifting at 7,000rpm, you're missing a couple hundred good revs of power, cause it doesn't run out up there...
Stock or tuned, if you're not shifting at redline, you're missing out on some time.

As far as the gear ratios, I have high praise for them pre/post tune, except for the inevitable "shorter 1st/taller 6th" that always comes up.
^^^Frankly, nothing short of perfect for a corner carver as it was intended.
Upshifts and downshifts are exactly where they need to be power wise, and that hasn't changed with the tune.

Now, if it's the 1/4 mile performance/characteristics of this car that you're so disappointed in, you really did get the wrong car.
But, on the other hand, I applaud you for taking the effort to the make the most out of it for a straight line performer.
You aren't alone in that endeavor, and I know there's quite a few that are anxious for the results.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #73
HaveBlue83

WD40, when I drag race my car and I shift at 7,000, I am fine.
When I switched my shift light to 7,200-7,300RPM I run fine, but I pop an "alternator load" code on my predator.......I usually never go past 7,000RPM. I don't want to over-rev the alternator or something.......eck....

Just to let ya know.....
Old 11-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #74
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^^^Good thing I don't have a Predator to see that code I guess...
(And...I've never seen one when pulling codes with my wife's Escape XCal2)

I can't tell you how many times in 57,000+ miles now that I've seen 7,500 on the tach when shifting.
Well, there was about 3 months/10 events that I was shifting at 7,800, till I pulled the tune back to 7,600.
Got a bit scared about the oil pump...
Old 11-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #75
HaveBlue83

I think I'd be WAAAAAAAY to scared about going anywhere over 7,300. I'd like to have this engine in the car for a while longer
Old 11-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #76
pelotonracer2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49917
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 17 pelotonracer2 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi WD40,

Thanks for the constructive reply.

I have a 2003 SVT and it has the factory tune. No updates and no aftermarket tune yet.

My car exhibits all the usual things people complain about: surging, erratic idle, bogging and a high and abrupt DSI changover.

I can literally feel the hesitation in the engine as it accelerates at WOT especially from around 4800 rpm until the shorter runners kick in @ 6000 rpm. On the earlier untuned cars this transition is anything but smooth.

I usually do take the engine to red line when doing accelerations runs. In fact I've hit the rev-limiter several times. I guess I'm used to my old car having a blinking shift light that comes on 300 rpm from red line and then goes solid at 50rpm from the limiter. It is completely programmable (and is a stock feature), so you can set it at any rpm desired. I rarely ever had to look down at the tach. I could just use my periphial vision and I'd know exactly when to shift. The SVT tach isn't the easiest to follow, especially when running through the gears fast. With that said, with each gear change (going in a straight line) the gear ratios are not optimally suited for the powerband of my particular car. I have a feeling once the the DSI switchover comes on at lower rpm, that hesitation will go away and perhaps the powerband won't fall off for a few seconds like it does at the moment with my current tune. This is most evident in the 1-2 shift.

I bought the SVT because it was relatively cheaper than my other choices and looked to be well supported by a decent aftermarket. It's also fun and easy to tinker with. I've only found two mass produced cars that have been fully tuned by the manufacturer. BMW M3s and some Mercedes vehicles, which hardly respond to ANY modifications at all unless you go FI. From what I've seen so far, the Focus SVT has alot of areas that could show improvement (and to be honest hasn't really been discussed yet). I'm not sold on the idea that the SVT is also in this catagory from what I have seen taking stuff apart. I've already found many mismatches and areas that would show improvement (with subsequent tuning). There aren't any secrets here. But just because what is currently available from the aftermarket hasn't done much as far as improvements, doesn't mean something else could be designed to show gains. One of the biggest design flaws I've seen on my car so far is the throttlebody design (the throttle plate isn't at all flat and it's pretty thick, it has a very thick and restrictive mounting boss where the throttle plate bolts up and the screws haven't been shaved down or recessed and are an obvious restriction). Then there is the 2-3mm lip (the manifold is smaller inner diameter than the stock throttlebody). Little mismatches like that are not even concievable to german engineers and is unacceptable in their manufacturing process. I'm sure once I look at other areas I will uncover some of the same inconsistancies as well. If there are mismatches in many other areas of a motor like this, you could easily see 10+whp just by correcting these manufacturing flaws.

I want to build a great "all rounder" out of the SVT. I don't want it to just be a single purpose car (ie: drag or track car). I won't cut corners to save time and money. I think there are many ways to skin a cat. Just because someone says something can't be done... doesn't mean thinking outside the box can't culminate in achieving results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
Nice correction, but there are a couple points I need to touch on.
Factory 2004 ZED0 tune does have the runners switch at 5,000 rpm.
^^^At least Ford got that right.
And...the rest of my car is bone stock (well...ITG drop in air filter...) engine wise.

The tune helped for sure, but the factory tune for 2004 wasn't lacking as much as previous years when racing.
I also ran it to the factory redline of 7,250, which is only 50rpm short of your 7,300rpm previous example car.
If you're shifting at 7,000rpm, you're missing a couple hundred good revs of power, cause it doesn't run out up there...
Stock or tuned, if you're not shifting at redline, you're missing out on some time.

As far as the gear ratios, I have high praise for them pre/post tune, except for the inevitable "shorter 1st/taller 6th" that always comes up.
^^^Frankly, nothing short of perfect for a corner carver as it was intended.
Upshifts and downshifts are exactly where they need to be power wise, and that hasn't changed with the tune.

Now, if it's the 1/4 mile performance/characteristics of this car that you're so disappointed in, you really did get the wrong car.
But, on the other hand, I applaud you for taking the effort to the make the most out of it for a straight line performer.
You aren't alone in that endeavor, and I know there's quite a few that are anxious for the results.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #77
HaveBlue83

holy bejesus man.......I thought i rambled on.......It's like you are typing out loud...
Old 11-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #78
pelotonracer2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49917
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 17 pelotonracer2 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue83 View Post
holy bejesus man.......I thought i rambled on.......It's like you are typing out loud...

I have good communication skills...

I don't do so well in japanese though... not even with the translators!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #79
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 128,999, Level 100
Points: 128,999, Level: 100 Points: 128,999, Level: 100 Points: 128,999, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 76%
Activity: 76% Activity: 76% Activity: 76%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I would like to see an SVT with the MTX-75 tranny on it or just swapping to the SVT motor in my foci. I think it'll be alot faster with our gearing since its spaced way more evenly then ya'lls super tall 1st and pretty tall 2nd. Slap a 4.06 final gear to help with our slightly tallish gearing and I think you will have one hellva fun foci. It would be like an GSR with is close gearing(don't bash I'm just comparing gearing not cars) and has for weight even if my car does'nt weigh 2300lbs I don't care I know it weighs 2700lbs for sure with me in it. And it is still lighter than almost any other car out there. Every new compact car or car that is in our class is getting really porky they all almost wiegh over 3000lbs.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 11-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #80
SpeedOften
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2139
What I Drive: E90 335i, 2002 E53 X5 4.4i

FF Reputation: 28 SpeedOften Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelotonracer2 View Post
I said they "felt" like overdrive gears... none of the gears are spaced well, 3rd and 4th are better, but not OPTIMAL. I love how you say "arguably" pull stronger. I happen to think the top of 2nd pulls best (especially from a 50mph punch) but hey what do I know.. LOL

No one has to agree with me at all, and frankly I could care a less. But maybe If you learned how to read, perhaps you might learn something from someone who has MUCH more experience than you. I never laid claim of knowing every single aspect of the Focus SVT as I've only owned the car for 2 months. You obviously can't debate anything beyond getting defensive because it's obviously beyond your scope of knowledge. I'm not out to tell people they are right or wrong. Everything is just my opinion based on 16 years of being in the industry (and owning and working on many of the cars that I have used as examples). However, you do skate around the issues like Tonya Harding with a baseball bat going after Nancy Carrigan!!!

Just FYI, I'm not just some kid spewing stupidity. I've owned and worked on more cars than most people will ever own in a lifetime (and then some) and been involved in building and evaluating engines (in several different industries) before you even turned 8 years old.

I'll be more than happy to offer "proof" soon enough.

The bottom line is... if you think I'm so FOS then please by all means DO NOT READ MY POSTS!

That should be easy enough to understand, right?
The Charger weighed 2750lbs and is a perfect example of your arguement of what weight savings can do. Figures someone so advanced in the art of taking a step outside the box and looking in couldn't see that, not to mention reading.

When you say you have much more experience, you sir... are assuming. You are assuming that I am some 18yr old, of which I'm not. I'll leave it at that.

Try a 6 to 3rd gear drop at 60 mph.

You should be able to hit 60mph in 2nd gear.

The redline in the SVT is 7200rpm, 100rpm short of your "last car". Tom's tune, unless asked for somehting different, normally resets this to 7400rpm.

As for German engineers... Have you heard that the SVT, was actually the ST170 from Ford of Europe, err it's more like the rest of the world...

Poppin, no where did I try and tell him the "shut up". I just said, in my opinion, which is what IMO stands for... That he fluffs his points up way too much, which in my opinion makes his posts annoying. We don't need to hear about how many years he's been in the industry or about how he's praised for seeing things that other don't.. I read that, and my reaction was, "So, what?"... He talks about the TB being restrictive.. yeah.. I'm pretty sure it's been covered... He expressed his opinion about the gearing, but most likely due to his ECU not having the most up-to-date reflash, he isn't feeling what I'm feeling when I ravage my whore around town (2nd, 3rd and 4th gears)?

Actions have always spoke louder than words, to me...

I'd like him to try the stock coil verse the aftermarket one to see what, if any difference there will be.

Bookmarks & Social Networks