Weighed my car yesterday...... - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-06-2007, 06:40 AM   #51
jestercow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36167
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 jestercow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markysparky66 View Post

sorry i cant tell you my secret :)
TELL ME!!! I must know....that's freakin ridiculous!
One, two, skip a few....Zetec Crew #202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #52
pelotonracer2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49917
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 17 pelotonracer2 Great Standing Member
It's not really off track at all. The discussion is about how weight effects performance... Otherwise why would anyone care what our cars weighed?

Reducing weight should improve performance (straight line and handling).

The only reason I really even mentioned powerband/weight comparison is that it's interesting to see how different cars with different power to weight ratios perform and how much difference it makes when you have a lightweight car.

We have lightweight cars (the SVT) with comparible powerbands to other cars, yet performance isn't on par. I want to know why.

A BMW Mini-S weighes about the same as our cars and has exactly the same power to weight ratio, yet it is over a second quicker 0-60 and even bigger difference in the 1/4 mile (they don't handle to shabby either).

Can I take 700 pounds out of my car and if I did, how much difference would it make on the performance of the SVT? Since no ones actually done it, I plan on doing it (and documenting everything as I go along).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue83 View Post
I DO have A.D.D. BTW...

I just always seem to have threads that go totally off track, that's all.....
Old 11-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #53
HaveBlue83

Fan#: 1358
What I Drive: a car

FF Reputation: 70 HaveBlue83 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
it's really good info, just seems to be buried in another thread, that's all......if someone was looking for "power-to-weight" info, they'd have to dig through this one to find it.

I'm not mad, continue with the discussion.

I dunno why the mini is quicker. aerodynamics? the way the powerband is? those factors have to take a factor in it...
Old 11-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #54
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2008 Edge SEL

FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The tune ... I drive an SVT and have driven my buddies Mini Cooper S. Yes feels the same ... but the tune makes the Mini cooper really get a move on. Our tune is pretty restrictive (these were stock when I tested both out).
Old 11-06-2007, 02:25 PM   #55
pelotonracer2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49917
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 17 pelotonracer2 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukaniSVT View Post
The tune ... I drive an SVT and have driven my buddies Mini Cooper S. Yes feels the same ... but the tune makes the Mini cooper really get a move on. Our tune is pretty restrictive (these were stock when I tested both out).

Yeah, I agree the stock tune (not the updated Ford tune) really sux. Below 3000-3500 rpm, the SVT is a lazy pig. The only place it really seems to get a huge kick is when the DSI switches over, but with the stock tune that is only 1000 rpm short of the red redline and the gearing is not spaced to give each shift a drop into that sweet spot (besides that the powerband is way too narrow being that the car runs best over 6000rpm). I bet Toms tune really helps that alot though. I wanted to wait until I did a few other mods, so maybe I'll take it to Ford and have them do the updated tune in the mean time.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #56
jestercow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36167
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 jestercow Good Standing Member
i have all the carpeting, rear seats, panels, brackets, everything out of the back...cleaned out it weighed 2551...now i'm gunna become obsessed
One, two, skip a few....Zetec Crew #202
Old 11-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #57
thehubster
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46763
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 2 thehubster Good Standing Member
will any ford place do the updated tune because that is something that really bugs me. it bogs way to much off the line. i have to launch at like 3500 rpm to get any kind of a launch. one thing that really hurts the wait is the moon roof if you have one they weigh about 200lbs. If you remeve that and several other little things like the back seats the radio the pasenger seat, the carpet. the spair tire. all of that you might be able to hit the weight that markysparky66 hit. that is just crazy by the way.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #58
SpeedOften
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2139
What I Drive: E90 335i, 2002 E53 X5 4.4i

FF Reputation: 28 SpeedOften Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
You compare peak tq values, but that's like comparing power only at 7200 rpm. The total area under that tq line is the usable tq. In the cars you used for examples, their peak tq while not an outstandingly high number were all very flat tq curves, and or have their peake tq come much much sooner than the SVT.

Take two SVT's one with less hp and the other with more tq. The one with more tq will win in the 1/4, as well as on a road course b/c it'll be able to accelerate faster. Who cares who has the higher top speed, it's who gets there first right? You'll get there first with the greater overall useable tq.

As an example: 70 charger running down a Ferrari GTP:
Who's got the tq?

I'm sure the Ferrari has the hp advantage at 12000 rpms.. but...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1

Tom came up with the idea of lowering the rpm at which the IM switchs runners when he first started tuning the cars so it's not a new idea.
As far as the coil, you're not going to push it any more than someone who's pushing 300whp out of their engine. I'll believe a 3-5whp gain when I see a dyno comparing the two.. My opinion is that it's a placebo effect. It may improve the overall smoothness of the engine, but it's not going to give the any gains.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #59
xp0s3d
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 31421
What I Drive: 2012 Mustang GT Premium

FF Reputation: 11 xp0s3d Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
the coil may not do much for power, but it does a great job on fuel economy since the engine is burning fuel more efficiently
Old 11-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #60
poppin3000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39910
What I Drive: 02 Infrared SVTF--Future track car?

FF Reputation: 1 poppin3000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehubster View Post
one thing that really hurts the wait is the moon roof if you have one they weigh about 200lbs.
more like 35-45 lbs total including motor, assembly, drain lines, etc.

Bookmarks & Social Networks