First AX last Sunday. What a panic! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
Blurvfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 15299
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Wine Cooled Eng.

FF Reputation: 54 Blurvfocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Red face First AX last Sunday. What a panic!

The trouble started when I first got there. I registered, then somebody (who was obviously trying to sabatoge "the new guy") told me to run 45psi rear, 40 front. Everybody had their own little compressors, and I saw they were all adjusting their tire pressures. Not a good time to try to borrow a compressor. So fine, I scoot off to town to get air. The first machine I found was free, but it only let air OUT of the tire, so I eventually gave up on that one and, with 22PSI in the RF tire, went off to find another convenience store with a compressor. Well, that machine ate quarters like I eat M&M's. And it took forever and could not go above 38psi.

When I got back to the track, they were almost ready to get started. I had to get inspected and only had time for a quick jog around the track, which I did wrong in my haste anyway.

First heat, first run- I got lost about half way through, DNF. Some guy offered to go with me for my 2nd go-round to spot cones, so that was good, but I went pretty slow to try to "take it all in." Third shot, lost again at roughly the same spot.

Second heat- It was my turn to work, and by the time the 2nd car finished his run I understood where I went wrong, and I understood the layout of the track. And I also understood how foolish I must have looked missing something so obvious. No matter, by the time the 2nd heat was done, I was confident there would be no way I could get lost now. Nontheless, I walked the track carefully over the lunch break, drew it out on paper, and studied it until I knew where every cone was and what it meant. Since I knew I couldn't do much more than that about my own performance, I thought I could possibly do something about the competition. I approached several drivers who had brought their own lunches - brown baggers- but none would relinquish their banana peels. I think they sensed what I had in mind; all I got were some fishy looks. So much for the generousity of this group.

3rd heat- first run- stayed on course but spun out which put me on the wrong side of some cones, DNF again. Now I'm really starting to get bummed. Second shot- by now, I have to admit, I was a little ticked at myself, and I was screeching left and screeching right all the while shouting NOW THAT ONE OVER THERE, @#!$%$ NOW OVER THERE,%#%$#@*, NOW AROUND THAT ONE, etc. It actually seemed to help- A CLEAN RUN! TA-DAAA! Last run- Stayed on course, not bad, but I whacked a cone.

Wait till next time... I'm bringing my OWN bananas.

Bookmarks & Social Networks