Back Seat Delete - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
..:: sleestak ::..
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Back Seat Delete

The other night I took out the rear seats in the car and built the "back seat delete". I weighed all the seats, headrests, and hardware I stripped out and it ended up at just about 60lbs, give or take.

Many people have built this delete but no one's posted pics/tips/how....not that its all that hard, but I thought this might help. I also only built a piece to cover where the back seats were and used the stock rear deck / trunk piece. So take the template hints from here and apply it to the rear area as well, if you like.

Tools you will need:
  • Torx set
  • Circular saw
  • Jigsaw
  • Staple gun
  • Drill
  • Square
  • Pencil
  • Tape measure
  • Razor blade or utility knife
  • Trowel for carpet adhesive

Materials:
  • Sheet of 3/8" OSB or preferred material for decking
  • 2 x 4 Stud
  • Car carpeting
  • Carpet adhesive
  • Cardboard

First things first - you need to strip out the seats. I am not going to go into a step by step on this. You will need a torx set for this...have fun, lol. The bottoms come off in two pieces and the backrests as one piece. There is a hinge you need to take apart right at the base of where the backrests split, then unbolt the backrests from the hinges and then unbolt the bottom mounts of the seat belts. You should be good to pull the back rests out and then strip out the rest of the hardware.

Now to build the deck.
The first thing you will probably want to do is cut the 2x4 that is going to support the front of the deck. I measured 50 3/8" across and cut the ends at a slight angle like so /==============\ About 5 degrees is all you need.

Next, you will want to make a template for the deck. I was wondering exactly how I was going to do this since the inside panels arent exactly straight lines...and then it dawned on me how easy this actually was.

Lay your 2x4 where you plan on putting it and then lay your cardboard across the span, butted up against the side panel. Then, with a somewhat steady hand (if you are having detox shakes, get some help), hold a pencil at an angle and put the eraser against the side panel...use this as a guide to draw your line, like so:

When you are done, you should have something similar to this:

Then you want to cut it out with a utility knife / razor blade / etc and test fit it to make sure it fits to your liking. Obviously, you will want to trim it where you see fit. Here's how mine came out - first shot:

The two sides are the same, so it should fit fine on either side, but test it just for good measure anyways. Once you are satisfied, get ready to cut that sheet of OSB.

From front to back, I cut my sheet 36" long because I planned on using the existing rear deck (trying to keep the weight to a minimum) and it left enough length to use the trunk area to support the back end of the deck. I also did my piece of OSB in two pieces. I cut the first piece to just about 25" and the other half to 27". I laid both sides in there with the shorter piece laying on top of the longer - positioned the pieces where I wanted them and then traced the overlap.

Now, take the two halves and screw them together. I cut a piece of 2x4 and placed it on end like so \=====/ This not only joins the pieces of wood but also adds some support to the middle and will rest nicely in the divot where the seats used to be, keeping it from sliding forward if you ever decide it would be fun to slam on your brakes.

Drop it in and test fit:

Now you are ready to carpet this beast. Just wrap the carpet around the pieces and staple it down with the staple gun....

On the deck itself, I got some floor/carpet adhesive and troweled it on first, then laid the carpet down, wrapped the edges and stapled it down. The adhesive just ensures that the carpet wont stretch and get weird bubbles in it over time.

Once you are done, you are ready to drop it all in place and screw the deck to the 2x4.

Here is the final fit (not too shabby I must say):

Extras:
If you want to do the rear area as well, you can use the pencil/carboard technique to trace out templates for a rear sheet as well. You may also want to cover up the areas along the front, where the hinges for the bottoms were. I have seen people cut an addl sheet and carpet it to sit in front of this area. You may even use the hinges to make the deck flip up, so you can hide contraband in there, body parts, tow strap, etc.

Hope this helps.

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
wordyahurdd
coooookie monster

Fan#: 41401
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 7 wordyahurdd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
so nice look'n if your look'n for pure weight reduction
2004 SVT : #55 STF
2003 Buell XB9S
Old 09-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 200 warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
thats kinda cool lookin...you get an squeeks or rattles from it?

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 09-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
on thin air

Thanks. I didnt take out the seat belts on the sides out, so occasionally I hear them move...like over a decent jolt, but no new annoying sounds. I can hear the sub way better now...thats a plus

I did this for two reasons really...first was weight reduction, since I am now in Street Mod and can do it, second (and mainly) for stuffing my camping gear, snowboarding gear, etc in the back. My seat is all the way back and with the rears folded down, I couldnt really tilt my seat much at all. Besides, the hatch is a 3 seater at best.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
ChuckDee
Ehh...

Fan#: 43589
What I Drive: 02 SC SVT

FF Reputation: 48 ChuckDee Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
hey nice write up. thankz 4 being the first 2 put it out there yet. u should see my wirte up on how-to do make the odometer any led color u want. it's in the same section (odometer led mod)
Old 09-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
Tom
FF Founder

Fan#: 2
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen ZX3 SES Turbo

FF Reputation: 60 Tom Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
This thread just earned a sticky status. Great work and rep points added.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
on thin air

Thanks Tom

Old 09-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
dirtbrown
what it be like

Fan#: 40563
What I Drive: ganjabus

FF Reputation: 27 dirtbrown Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
looks good....been wanting to take a SAT and knock mine out just been busy doing my suspenson up slowly
Old 10-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
KS1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46191
What I Drive: '04 Toreador Red Manual ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 KS1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I just finished my Back Seat Delete this weekend, I freakin love it, it fits perfectly and it looks better than sex...

Zetec Crew #159

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom."
Old 10-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #10
dirtbrown
what it be like

Fan#: 40563
What I Drive: ganjabus

FF Reputation: 27 dirtbrown Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
that looks awesome.....dont like the dragon but the delete is SEX.

do you notice anything diff with handling and cornering....cause i mean its only

60 pounds......i know every pound counts but does it feel any better?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->