Central locking problems - Finally a solution! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
exsodius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14827
What I Drive: 2002 Silver 1.6 Wagon

Points 7,116, Level 55
Points: 7,116, Level: 55 Points: 7,116, Level: 55 Points: 7,116, Level: 55
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 exsodius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Central locking problems - Finally a solution! PICS added.

After 1 year with problems with locking my car, i found something. I have searched the net everywhere, but the only thing i found was this: "Ford Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 05-10-21 says to clean any corrosion from the door latch connectors, then pack them full of dielectric grease."

But it did not work.

My problems with locking/ unlocking:

- Happends when weather is cold and/or moisty.
- Central locking don't work on drivers door either with a key or remote.
- I can open all doors with a key in passengers door.
- Sometimes I hear a click from the doors, after 5 minutes from coldstart.

My exploring lead to this solution:

- I unplugged the drivers door latch plug. All 3 other doors suddenly worked.
- Focus central locking works like this. Ther are 2 tiny wires controlling the locks. One is for lock and one for unlock. When one of these wires gets earthed it locks/ unlocks. But these wires never gets earthed at the SAME time.
- So i used my voltmeter a bit. WTF! Both wires were earted. A SHORT CIRCUIT in my drivers door latch.
- So i wanted to have a little fun. I unplugged the latch plug in drivers door. Then i short circuit these two wires myself to simulate how the car would respond.
- The car responded exactly as described over, nothing worked. It even made this click sound when i took away the short circuit. Hurray!

What would you do if your wife told you to go left and right at the same time. Nothing right? Thats what happens when you give a signal to the car to lock/ unlock at the same time.

So now i have the biggest problem left. To either buy a new latch or to take it out of the door to clean it. The short circuit inside is probaly by water or dirt.

So now i am very HAPPY!

Last edited by exsodius; 09-01-2007 at 08:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
exsodius
Focus Enthusiast

Points 7,116, Level 55
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Tonight i sat in my car ready to take out the central lock mechanisim when i noticed it was full of water. I was raining a lot. Looks like the water is going through the water strip at the bottom of the window. The window has a edge below where water i dripping from, and this edge is right over the central lock mechanism. It's dripping right at the electrical power plug for the central lock motor. Bummer FORD!!!

Is my waterstrip worn out? And is it easy to change it?

Is it normal with water inside the doors?

This explains my short circuit, because i only have problems when it rains.

Any help would be great.

Here are pictures. First picture is most important. Look how wet it gets. The one in the middle is taken from top where the window goes inside the door. In the right picture i have dried the central lock mechanism out with paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00681 a.JPG
Views:	3191
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	12868  

Name:	DSC00682 b.JPG
Views:	1402
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	12869  

Name:	DSC00683 c.JPG
Views:	1361
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	12870  

Old 09-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 11,949, Level 71
Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
The window 'edge' is not a water tight seal. It is designed to encourage water to channel away. That being said. If you are getting a lot of water inside the door (and it looks like you are) then that is a problem only solved by having the strip replaced OR there is also the possibility that the window guides are worn so that the window is no longer snug against the strip. Does your window bind at all when your raise/lower it?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
exsodius
Focus Enthusiast

Points 7,116, Level 55
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
The window 'edge' is not a water tight seal. It is designed to encourage water to channel away. That being said. If you are getting a lot of water inside the door (and it looks like you are) then that is a problem only solved by having the strip replaced OR there is also the possibility that the window guides are worn so that the window is no longer snug against the strip. Does your window bind at all when your raise/lower it?
It looks like the water strip is binding closely to the window. Exept for 1 inch at the rear part of window have a tiny clearance. But even where the strip looks tight, i can see water going trough it watching it from the inside.

It might be my fault because in the winter i am very lazy scraping ice of my windows. I push the window down button instead, using my weather strip as a ice remover . So maybe its this habbit that causes the strip wear down?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 11,949, Level 71
Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by exsodius View Post
It might be my fault because in the winter i am very lazy scraping ice of my windows. I push the window down button instead, using my weather strip as a ice remover . So maybe its this habbit that causes the strip wear down?
Yes, that would do it.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
exsodius
Focus Enthusiast

Points 7,116, Level 55
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Problem solved!

My central lock has worked fine for a month now. Even when its raining or are cold.

What i found after cleaning the lock mechanism was that it has a microswitch like in your PC mouse buttoms. In picture you see the black switch with the red dot on it. This red dot is a water proof rubber seal for the switch pin. This red seal made the switch pin hang when it was cold. In my case it was full of grease. I measured the switch with a multimeter. When pin is pushed inside the doors are locked, when the pin is out the doors are open. So what happend was that when unlocking the car the switch stayed closed. And the other doors sent a negative signal that was telling the driverdoor that they were unlocked. Then you had two negative signals making a short circuit. And then all doors stopped working. So i believe many focuses have this problem. And have probaly changed the whole unit with a new one. But that is expensive.....

Tip: Clean and spray microswitch with WD-40 if you have this problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00705.JPG
Views:	2996
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	13109  

Old 09-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #7
Pingouin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53619
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Pingouin Good Standing Member
Thanks exsodius! I've had the same problem for a while, looked everywhere for a solution, all of them failed (including fuse 63 check and spraying inside the locks in case they stuck), but now you give me new hope! Heck, I even tried the Russian fix by banging on the door!
Now I need to figure out how to get to the lock unit!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
Pingouin
Focus Rookie

OK, now I managed to remove the door panel and the dampening chunk of foam. I can see the lock mechanism alright, but can't figure out how to take it out! I got the 3 torx screw holding the lock itself to the door frame, but there seems to be more than that. Can anyone give me some explanations please?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #9
Pingouin
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingouin View Post
I can see the lock mechanism alright, but can't figure out how to take it out! I got the 3 torx screw holding the lock itself to the door frame, but there seems to be more than that. Can anyone give me some explanations please?
Anyone can help me out please? I still didn't manage to take the lock assembly out, and my door panel is still in my leaving room! Any help would be greatly appreciated, I look forward to have my assembled door back while driving!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 AM   #10
sezetec
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 51500
What I Drive: 2000 black se

FF Reputation: 1 sezetec Good Standing Member
There are two metal rods or linkages that hook to the door handles. It can be pretty tricky twisting and turning them to manuever the lock motor/latch assembly out of the door interior. Just take your time and note where everything is hooked up! Be patient and good luck!
ZC#199 SEDAN REVOLUTION #71

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.