How To: Remove the 05+ Speedometer Cluster - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK2 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
myfocusrocks
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46135
What I Drive: 2014 Ingot Silver ST3

FF Reputation: 5 myfocusrocks Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
How To: Remove the 05+ Speedometer Cluster

Sorry this is my first How To... I havent come across one for the 05+ Focus, so I decided to do it myslef. Im in the market for a full cluster, and wanted to make sure I could get it out before I bought it.... So here goes...

Step one... You must remove these four screws. In doing this, the entire light grey piece will be freed, allowing for access to the screw behind it. I just let it sit on the floor and didn't bother taking the plugs out of the back of it.. (ex.. the engine diagnostic plug, and hood latch) Just be warned that there is a little metal clip right below the headlight switch that fell on the floor when i first removed it... that took me a little bit to figure out where it came off of.

Step two... This is the easy step. Just remove that one screw, and the whole speedometer surround is now free.

Step three... Be warned when doing this step, the speedometer surround is pretty straight forward to remove... It just pops right out (I would start at the left corner by the headlight switch, that went the easiest) However, there are little metal clips that are holding the surround to the rest of the dash, and when you remove it, if your not paying attention, the clips will scratch the front of your cluster up (I was lucky that it only did it at the bottom where it cant be seen) The whole section in the picture comes out, except for the actual headlight switch. There is one wire though that you have to unplug, and that is the trunk release. (Its just a small plug that comes right out)

Step four... Here is another straight forward step. Just remove the four screws that are pointed out, and the cluster is free. The bottom two screws are a little tricky to get out, but it shouldn't be too bad. Then just unplug the cluster, and pop the new one in. (When you do unplug it, if your battery is hooked up, your emergency flashers will come on)

Then when putting it all back together, just reverse these steps. The whole thing shouldn't take more than 45 minutes.

I hope this will help some people out. Like I said, I hadn't seen one on here, so I decided to make one as best as I could. I didn't put in a new cluster yet, again like I said, I just wanted to be sure I could get it out with no problems.

-Dennis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
miniboon
Dehawkified

Fan#: 35233
What I Drive: 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS

FF Reputation: 42 miniboon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
nice write up!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
myfocusrocks
Focus Addict

Fixed it, Thanks :p
Old 08-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
Nightm4re
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34407
What I Drive: 2006 Athens blue G35 sports coupe

FF Reputation: 1 Nightm4re Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
When you put a new cluster in there, does it mess up the needles? Id hate to have to try to find a place to get the needles re-calibrated.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
honhon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 24778
What I Drive: a better car than a focus.

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightm4re View Post
When you put a new cluster in there, does it mess up the needles? Id hate to have to try to find a place to get the needles re-calibrated.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/howtos/needlecalibration/
Old 08-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
myfocusrocks
Focus Addict

Does this happen when you put in a new set of gauges? Or can it go as a direct swap, and still work normally?
Old 08-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #7
honhon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 24778
What I Drive: a better car than a focus.

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
you can swap... the needlerecal only needs to be done when you physically take the needles off the gauge face.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:12 PM   #8
myfocusrocks
Focus Addict

ok, well i wont be doing that :p
Old 11-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
RLKnecht
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 80336
What I Drive: 05, Pearl Tan Focus

FF Reputation: 1 RLKnecht Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dennis,
When you replaced your cluster with a salvage cluster did it keep your mileage on the odometer, or did it now dispaly the salvage cars mileage? I was told by the dealer that I needed to replace it with a NEW one from them so they could transfer info to the new cluster. THey also told me that the PATS keys would all need to be reprogrammed and the car would no longer start. did you have these issues or is the dealer just trying to get $350 for a new cluster plus 375 for labor?
Thanks
Rick
Old 01-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
kevins7189
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 78726
What I Drive: '08 Slvr SE + '10 Blk SES

FF Reputation: 1 kevins7189 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
well, funny while i was searching for this answer. I got a 2009 focus "SE" dash with the info display on it to replace the gauges on my "S" model. Display worked, but car didn't start, PATS error.

Bookmarks & Social Networks