Air in power steering line, How to flush/bleed it? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
DFv2
WWTPD?

Fan#: 42684
What I Drive: 2008 Lightning Red STi

FF Reputation: 31 DFv2 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Air in power steering line, How to flush/bleed it?

As per my stupid mistake in this thread:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129879

I lost all the power steering fluid in my system. I replaced the hardline I cut, and bolted everything back up nice and snug. Now the problem.

I filled the reservoir with fresh fluid, and started the car. The car seems to suck up all the fluid in the reservoir when running, and then returns the fluid to the reservoir when stopped. Im assuming the air in the line compresses when on.

ANYWAYS if you read all that, thanks. If not, heres the question. How can I BLEED the PS line to get air out? Has anyone done this before?

The only thing I can think of is to loosen the hardline fitting on the rack while having someone keep the reservoir full until it runs through. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
IIRC, to bleed the PS rack you need to jack the front end of the car up, start the engine and then turn the wheel to just before the stop and hold it for a minute, and then repeat in the opposite direction until the pump quiets down (meaning the air in the rack has been worked out of the system.) I think there's a how-to thread about it somewhere on here...
Old 08-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
DFv2
WWTPD?

Fan#: 42684
What I Drive: 2008 Lightning Red STi

FF Reputation: 31 DFv2 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Update, did what you said and it worked. Damn that was easy, I was getting ready to start unbolting shit. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
Toolman00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougoeFre5h View Post
Update, did what you said and it worked. Damn that was easy, I was getting ready to start unbolting shit. Thanks!
I bet the guy in your avatar doesn't even need a wrench!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
fordcrazi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86801
What I Drive: 2003 white Focus

FF Reputation: 1 fordcrazi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i tryied this and it still wont make my power steering stop whining
Old 03-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
daidie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70867
What I Drive: 2003 maroon red 3 dr hatchback(zx3)

FF Reputation: 7 daidie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
just turn the wheel full lock one way to full lock the other a few times. just keep an eye on the pas fluid in the reservoir. no jacking required.

have you repped someone helpful today
Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 57 sailor Excellent Standing Member
While jacking isn't REQUIRED, it makes life easier & reduces wear on the tires etc..

Since you have to turn the steering back & forth quite a few times to get most of the air out....

I just had to do this TWICE on a Chevy Monte Carlo with a damaged cooler line, once for the initial "emergency" repair & again when I replaced the damaged cooler assembly for a friend... It wasn't COMPLETELY bled till after a good test drive as well.... THAT got the last bubbles out of the system, though it was close to OK before I drove it..

Patience & a LOT more wheel twisting than you expected to need to do is the key, when it doesn't work right away it'll worry you a bit - just give it more time to circulate. The system doesn't work well at all on air, and it takes a while to get it all out...

Luck!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:11 AM   #8
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 19 amc49 Great Standing Member
A tip. Sometimes the air is fixed finely with the fluid itself, especially if you let it run empty for a bit. Purge the lines left/right to lock as said then let car sit 10-15 minutes for fluid in reservoir to de-aerate. You may have to do it a couple of times. Later on the noise miraculously has disappeared.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
frednumber15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83585
What I Drive: 2003 2dr ZX3

FF Reputation: 5 frednumber15 Good Standing Member
You need to watch the level in the res as you run it and turn the wheel...mine only stopped foaming after I filled the res almost to the top and turned it back and forth...also let it sit idling turned all the way left and right. It was picking up and recirculating foam.

...and I am unanimous in that position.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #10
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 19 amc49 Great Standing Member
You can damage parts by leaving the steering at full lock left or right for a long period.

It's GOING TO recirculate foam, motion tends to trap air. The only way to stop it is stop engine and let foam come out in reservoir, you have to repeat since foam in the rack cannot get out until it's in the reservoir also.

Done correctly you can install fluid with almost no aeration at all. The system is almost instantly self bleeding, the trick is to get the new fluid in there quick enough so that the pump can never run out and pull air. Once pump starts whining say when you are uncapping the second bottle of fluid to put in you have already screwed up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks