Slightly different "tuner" question - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
cookiemonster52
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48118
What I Drive: 2004, Liquid Gray, ZTS 2.3L Duratec

FF Reputation: 4 cookiemonster52 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Slightly different "tuner" question

So I know every other day somebody puts a post about "what upgrades should i get" and I hope this doesn't get the same responses. I realize my Focus will never be a "street machine" but I do know that it is a fun car to drive out of the box, which is essentially why I bought it. If I wanted to make 200+ hp, I would have looked elsewhere. However, I'd like to maximize the "fun" I receive out of it.

Before the FI-heads flood the responses, read it here first: A turbo will not ever happen. Please, please, please, I know you guys love it and swear by it and that's fine, more power to you, but I don't want to have to sift through a dozen "get a turbo" responses to find what I'm looking for. No turbo. None. I can't justify spending that much for the piece itself, nor for the financial aftermath that follows, especially while saving for a house and paying off my loans lol.

So far I've lowered it, put some wheels on, short shifter, tinted it, got my stereo how i like it, and got a CAI. I'm going to get an exhaust and throttle body eventually, and as far as I'm concerned that's really it for "performance." If my car's breathing right, I'm satisfied.

I'm more concerned with drivability, although I understand it is a byproduct of power in most cases; if I can get a "driveability upgrade" and gain some ponies in the process then I'm all for it, but trying to win a speed record with an economy car isn't in my future.

I was thinking a tune would be a good idea, even though it's a manual. I'm not crazy about having to put premium fuel in my economy car, but if it increases the MPG like I hear it does and makes it a more enjoyable ride then I guess the $.20/gallon difference is acceptable. I can always "un-tune" it from my understanding. If this is correct please let me know because the whole idea of tuning to achieve better drivability is still a little lost on me.

My question, finally, is what else would make it a "funner" (I know, I know) car? Am I right in thinking a tune would help? Maybe some sway bars? I'm open to the possibility of maximizing efficiency of the engine as well... cutting down on lost power due to rotating/moving mass, etc.

$_COOKIE['monster'] = "Team Duratec #89";

I need some interior trim pieces for 00-04. PM me if you have any!

Bookmarks & Social Networks