I change my oil every 2100 miles - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-17-2007, 09:01 AM   #41
basicblur
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 41965
What I Drive: '04 Overland, '03 Ranger, ZX-6R

FF Reputation: 1 basicblur Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I’ve been running Mobil 1 since 1976 (not long after it came out?) after reading an article about it in Popular Science. When it originally came out, it had “25,000 Miles Between Oil Changes” in big red letters below the Mobil 1 logo on the front of the bottle. From what I understand, they got away from that claim as they didn’t want to butt heads with automakers who were (at the time) still recommending oil changes around the 5,000 mile mark (or 3,000?).
Anywho…FWIW over the years here’s my experience:
I run Mobil 1 in all my vehicles. There may be others that are “better”, but I’ve seen no conclusive tests showing such, and since Mobil 1 is usually cheaper/easier to find…
Mobil 1 has now fallen victim to the marketing mavens at the company! Years ago, a motorcycle magazine had a lab analyze the difference between plain old Mobil 1 and their just released Mobil 1 bike oil. There wasn’t a dime’s worth of difference between the two! Now you look on the shelf and there are a ridiculous number of types of Mobil 1, apparently for every specific application under the sun. I’d be willing to bet there’s little/no difference in all/most of ‘em, ‘cept for price!
Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec were the only oils I could run in my Kawasaki Concours for 10,000 miles and not tell any difference in the way the transmission shifted (Japanese bikes use the same oil for the motor and transmission). I tried a few of the boutique oils “specifically for motorcycles” and after ‘bout 5,000 miles or less, the transmission starting getting pretty “notchy” feeling. Fresh oil cured the problem, but as stated, I could tell no difference with Mobil 1/Castrol Syntec after 10,000 miles. My understanding is transmissions are much harder on oil than engines, and after reading one test of oils I noticed Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec retained their viscosity better than any others tested (mebbe this explains the feel of the bike’s transmission?).
I was aware of the lawsuit brought by Mobil against Castrol regarding the meaning of “synthetic” in their claims. Sounds like the court screwed up another one (Castrol won).

Ain’t no way I’m changing oil at less than 7,500 miles (after I hit the 10,000 mile mark on my Focus), and I’m probably going to push it farther than that! I’ll pay more for Mobil 1 since I have no doubt it’s much better than conventional oils, but I’m going to recover some/all of that cost by spending less on oil changes by extending the intervals.

And now for something really different…?
We had a member of COG (Concours Owners Group) in Alaska that said he ran Mobil 1 Delvac instead of regular Mobil 1 since in Alaska, it was easier to find commercial rather than consumer oil. He stated that the Mobil 1 Delvac was also much cheaper, apparently because Delvac is for the high-volume trucking industry. A few years back, I checked the price of a 5 quart jug of Delvac Mobil 1 at a truck stop and it was about ½ of what I was paying for the consumer version of Mobil 1! At the time, there were a number of COG members running Delvac Mobil 1 since it was cheaper, and if it meets your vehicle manufacturers recommendations (SF/SA etc) you’re covered AFA warranty problems.
Fer you cheap bastards out there like myself, you might consider Delvac? I have no mega-truck stops in my area so I tend to run the regular stuff, but if the Delvac Mobil 1 was available I might well run it.

BTW…I ran across this the other day while reading the Q&A at Mobil 1’s website at http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...ional_Oil.aspx

Question:
Comparing Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 to Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40
How does the new Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 oil compare to Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40? Which is better for my 2003 Ford F-350 Powerstroke diesel?
Answer:
Either brand is a great choice since Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 and Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 are the same product branded differently for different markets.

Notice the “same product branded differently for different markets” quote?
Makes ya wonder how much difference there really is in all those different types of Mobil 1 out there, don’t it?

BTW…I have no affiliation with oil manufacturers/distributors/sales etc…just a consumer trying to sort through all the marketing and hype.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #42
j-zetec_pr
MACHINERY TECHNIAN

Fan#: 47101
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3 Kona, MTX-75, Zetec

FF Reputation: 27 j-zetec_pr Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
i used to have a 1999 tiburon 2liter and then a wrx and i ran mobil 1 in both... don't really know why i've been buying castrol syntec lately, but i'm switching back to mobil 1 since syntec isn't true synthetic
Old 06-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #43
basicblur
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 41965
What I Drive: '04 Overland, '03 Ranger, ZX-6R

FF Reputation: 1 basicblur Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I got tired of doing the research (made my head hurt, and who has the time!), but don't be so sure Mobil 1 is entirely synthetic! Iff'n I remember correctly, after Mobil lost the lawsuit against Castrol they decided if Castrol could call their oil “100% synthetic” despite the fact that their base stocks were not “the more expensive PAO or polyester base stocks”, well then they could play that game also! What was being batted around the COG list server a few years back (if memory serves) was there are some Mobil 1 products that are 100% synthetic (base stocks included), but after Castrol won in court, some Mobil 1 products are not!? I’m a wonderin’ if perhaps the extended life, Delvac line etc have the more expensive base stocks?

Check this one out from Mobil’s website:
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo..._Question.aspx
Question:
Response to Claims that Products Contain 'Mostly Mineral Oil'
I've seen claims of gas chromatograph analysis of Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 SM dated 10-06 that state it is "mostly mineral oil". Realizing that you cannot divulge your exact formulations, what do you say to the critics that claim you are using a high percentage of hydro processed mineral oil in Mobil 1 instead of the more expensive PAO or polyester base stocks?
Answer:
Just like other companies, we do not discuss our product formulations for obvious proprietary reasons. Mobil 1 Extended Performance is formulated using a combination of high performance fluids including PAO, along with a proprietary system of performance additives. But in the end, it is also about performance. Mobil 1 is used by more Original Equipment Manufacturers than any other oil as factory fill in their vehicles. Also take note of the kind of testing we put our product through, including the Las Vegas field testing we recently completed. The Mobil 1 technology is also tested each weekend on the race track. In fact, more than 50 percent of all NASCAR teams use Mobil 1.

Does this answer sound a bit evasive to you? I would think if Mobil 1 were 100% synthetic (or what common sense tells you 100% means, despite the court ruling) the answer man would be touting the fact that it was 100% synthetic?

Time to do your homework…?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:19 PM   #44
jeepinbanditrider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47949
What I Drive: 2004 Saturn Ion Redline

FF Reputation: 1 jeepinbanditrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I just run name brand dino oil (usually Rotella T a "diesel" oil) and change every 3k miles on the dot. problem solved.
ZETEC CREW #160
Old 06-17-2007, 11:38 PM   #45
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicblur View Post
Does this answer sound a bit evasive to you? I would think if Mobil 1 were 100% synthetic (or what common sense tells you 100% means, despite the court ruling) the answer man would be touting the fact that it was 100% synthetic?
I agree, it does sound like he's spinning the facts. I'm sure all of what he said is true, however, it does not answer if their "synthetic" is a true PAO based synthetic or a blend of synthetic and dino oil. Odds are it isn't, otherwise (like you said) he'd say its was a real synthetic...why lie about a positive atribute?

Oh...and I couldn't care less if 50% of NASCAR teams use it, given that they rebuild their engines between races. I realize he's trying to sell to NASCAR fans, but that point isn't going to sway me to use Mobil lubricants any more than is the fact that Combos are the "Official cheese-filled snack of NASCAR" going to sway me to eat Combos.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #46
jeepinbanditrider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47949
What I Drive: 2004 Saturn Ion Redline

FF Reputation: 1 jeepinbanditrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaAddict View Post

Oh...and I couldn't care less if 50% of NASCAR teams use it, given that they rebuild their engines between races. I realize he's trying to sell to NASCAR fans, but that point isn't going to sway me to use Mobil lubricants any more than is the fact that Combos are the "Official cheese-filled snack of NASCAR" going to sway me to eat Combos.

LMAO..................sigggggggged
ZETEC CREW #160
Old 06-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #47
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Its pretty ridiculous when you look at all of the odd-ball "official this" or "official that" that NASCAR has. I can understand some things, like auto paint, gasoline, tires, etc...but does NASCAR really need an official "Shaving Product" (Gillette), "Delivery Service" (UPS) or "Golf Ball" (Callaway Golf)?

http://www.nascar.com/guides/sponsorship/

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->