Programming a Ford Focus Key? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-01-2007, 09:27 AM   #21
ngoti8tor
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 47544
What I Drive: 2001 green ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ngoti8tor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
"Do you think If I called another Ford Dealer, they might have a cheaper price?"

Wouldn't hurt to try. The $80 is at the hign end of the range I've heard. When I bought my Focus, the saleswoman explained very carefully about the keys and programming, recommending I buy a key ASAP for $20 as if I lost one it would cost $50 for the programming. Obviously she had some unhappy customers that lost keys in the past.
you can get the keys cut at selected places, but not everyone cuts these keys.
Once you get the new blank cut, you can still get it programmed at some (very few) locksmiths. They will need a special machine to program the new key, and the locksmiths are usually a lot cheaper than getting it programmed at a dealer.

Here's an example: (prices are Canadian)
I called a dealer and the said $45 for the blank key and 1 hour of labour to program it, which their rate was $110. A total of $155.
I called a locksmith and he said $45 for the blank, and $40 to program with the machine. I told him I had a blank already, so he said $5 to cut it and $40 to program with the machine. (I bought 2 blanks from eBay)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #22
roughrider1988
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47412
What I Drive: 2002, blue, zx3

FF Reputation: 1 roughrider1988 Good Standing Member
once you get your new keys programmed check out a site called streetkeys.com, that's where I got my extra key for about $17.00. The whole program sequence takes about 30 seconds to do it yourself. Keep that extra in a safe spot so you aren't left with only one key in the future.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #23
ngoti8tor
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 47544
What I Drive: 2001 green ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ngoti8tor Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDSilver5DoorSVT View Post
Only place to do it is the dealer.........
That is incorrect............

You can also find the odd locksmith that will program keys cheaper than a dealership, so it's not like you only have one choice of places to go for programming. Call around and get some prices and find out if the locksmith can program them. Only a few locksmiths invest in the programming machines.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #24
kodpkd
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 82094
What I Drive: 05 focus

FF Reputation: 1 kodpkd Good Standing Member
It isnt the same car,,,,,,, But the same BS.. I have a 97 Jag.. Bought an extra key, ask the Jag dealer what it takes to program it.. "OH, a tech needs to use a computer to program it" $80... BS! I found online.... 1 click blink the lights, 2 pushes, done..... $80 is total BS,,,, at least for the Jag.. Maybe the Focus is the same..
Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #25
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
kodpkd - sounds like your Jag has a key with a built in remote, like the key fob that comes with the Focus.

THAT is easier to program to the car, did an extra for my Focus and all you need is ALL the fobs you want to use on hand at the same time.

The Focus KEY on the other hand, has an RFID chip inside, and the car's computer has to recognize that chip to allow the car to start.

The programming assumption, as mentioned above, is that anyone with TWO keys already in the system is likely to be an owner or authorized user - so an additional key can be added by that person to the list.

If it was easy, it wouldn't be much of a "security" system...
Old 10-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #26
kodpkd
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 82094
What I Drive: 05 focus

FF Reputation: 1 kodpkd Good Standing Member
Thank you for the info.... You are correct the Jag key fob is different than the new Focus remote key. It is all about security. I think I will get a 3rd key in case I loose a key. BUT,,,,,,,, I still think it's a total rip off when a tech geek gets $80 to program a key for a car you just spent $$$$$$$$$$$ on for 30 seconds of work..
Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #27
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
With the current shop labor rates (at least everywhere I've seen), that's less than an hour's worth - and I've yet to see a shop that charges less than .5 hrs. for anything.

I'm sure I'll whine if I manage to lose a key B4 I get around to getting a third (Car came with two). So far I just bought a second fob so at least I'd have two of them. It's one of those things you tend to put off until it's too late, 'cause you don't need it TODAY....

My REAL whine about shop rates is the sad fact that in the last 30 plus years, MOST of the increase in rates has gone to the expenses of simply maintaining a shop facility - NOT to the people doing the work.... Mechanics used to get approx. 1/3rd of the shop rate in pay, now it's down to approx. 1/5th, with a FEW being lucky enough to pocket 1/4. And the largest cost increase is insurance, since lawsuits are the "Get Rich Quick" scheme of the era....

Proprietary hardware & software to diagnose & maintain vehicles costs the shops tens of thousands, we're lucky with the OBD laws that "generic" codes can be read with "generic" equipment - NOT the case when dealing with ANYTHING other than automobiles sold in the USA, or ones that use that standard for convenience....

Take Care, end of "rant" (grin)
Old 10-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #28
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
I have a Ford transit Connect. The dealer cannot even cut keys. Only their supplier [Motorcraft?] can do it

While keys may be expensive
I have a 'dumb' key hidden on the outside someplace and a 'real' key hidden on the inside someplace. Two spare keys at home.
No matter what, I can get home rather try to figure out how to tow a car out of an airport garage with a circular ramp.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #29
Flyboy65
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 124897
What I Drive: 2004 Red 2.3L

FF Reputation: 1 Flyboy65 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeshaq View Post
I have a Ford transit Connect. The dealer cannot even cut keys. Only their supplier [Motorcraft?] can do it

While keys may be expensive
I have a 'dumb' key hidden on the outside someplace and a 'real' key hidden on the inside someplace. Two spare keys at home.
No matter what, I can get home rather try to figure out how to tow a car out of an airport garage with a circular ramp.
Wish there was a "like" button mikeeshaq!
Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #30
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
If the car does not scream to thieves 'steal me!' then take the chip out of the key and tape it to inside of steering column covers or on column so that it is within one inch of the transponder ring, then take the old key and cut a second cheap old school dumb key for like $3. As long as the chip is within scanning distance of the PATS ring, the car will start and run all day long with normal dumb non-chipped keys. You will still have normal old school security of a locked ignition, just not the disabling PATS does. Keep your mouth shut and don't tell your friends, the thieves will think you have the PATS enabled still. Quickest $80 you'll ever make.

Some few really kick-ass locksmiths CAN program chipped keys.

Bookmarks & Social Networks