ABS limiting at the track/AX? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-14-2007, 11:24 PM   #11
arrestmespi
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 27586
What I Drive: '04 Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '72 M35A2

FF Reputation: 27 arrestmespi Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
ABS, whats that, I have never had a car with it I generally can brake better in a familiar car without abs then in a familiar car with abs.
Hell, my track toy has manual brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #12
eventerke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41299
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 eventerke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tua03332 View Post
pulling the fuse as you all noted creates a problem for the less seasoned driver, but for someone who has raced for a while now especially somthing like an MR2, having the rear end "happy" can actually be a benefit if you know how to use it to your advantage and still eliminating the problem with traction control. Since you are switching tires very soon, i recommend on keeping the fuse in and making sure you are 100% comfortable with the car before you try pulling the fuse. It only helps me have more fun around course, not neccessarrily faster since i MAY have only found like .5secs on the leader
Slightly diff situation, it sounds like. If you upgraded your front brakes only, you shifted the bias forward, and pulling the fuse slightly overcompensated.
Don't know, but I would guess the SVT has different natural brake bias/ABS programming than a sedan.

Thanks for the tips - been braking with my toes all day.

Another thing that really helped is I got a Schroth Rallye4 harness before the event - being glued in the seat let my feet and hands work the controls rather than support my body.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:11 AM   #13
BadIdea
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6470
What I Drive: 02 Silver SVT 08 Tundra CrewMax

FF Reputation: 1 BadIdea Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I like my abs - use it every lap.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:44 AM   #14
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventerke View Post
Thanks for the tips - been braking with my toes all day.

Another thing that really helped is I got a Schroth Rallye4 harness before the event - being glued in the seat let my feet and hands work the controls rather than support my body.
How's the toe technique working for you? Feel like you have a better feel for the brakes?

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 05-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #15
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing MemberWeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeAsp View Post
How's the toe technique working for you? Feel like you have a better feel for the brakes?
Boy if that wasn't a "Department of Redundancy Department" question...

Seriously, how is the toe technique working for you?

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 05-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #16
eventerke
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeAsp View Post
Boy if that wasn't a "Department of Redundancy Department" question...

Seriously, how is the toe technique working for you?
I feel like my feel of the brakes feels better

I'm driving in my harness today and using my car instead of a county vehicle when I need to do on-site work.

Not doing any *really* hard braking (street antics = dumb), but I'm finding I can actually hold my leg off the floor and very precisely feel the brakes with my toes.

I haven't decided if that works better than resting my heel, but I certainly like it better so far. Sunday will tell the tale.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2007, 09:01 AM   #17
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventerke View Post
I feel like my feel of the brakes feels better

I'm driving in my harness today and using my car instead of a county vehicle when I need to do on-site work.

Not doing any *really* hard braking (street antics = dumb), but I'm finding I can actually hold my leg off the floor and very precisely feel the brakes with my toes.

I haven't decided if that works better than resting my heel, but I certainly like it better so far. Sunday will tell the tale.

Thanks!
HEHEHE...

Glad to hear that the toes are working for you.

As a side note, you may want to consider using your harnesses only for AX.

I've done it too in the past, but using a harnesses in a street car on the street can be dangerous in an accident. It seems counter-intuitive, but the harnesses can cause injury if they aren't properly mounted. Most people use the stock mounting points for the seatbelts with longer bolts.

The problem with this is that without a roll bar or cross member for the shoulder belts, in an impact the belts go taunt and compress the spine into the back and bottom of the seat instead of pulling straight back.

The greater risk is one of "submarining". The CAMLOCK for the harnesses sits just below chest level. If the harnesses are not installed with a crotch belt anchored to the floor, in an impact, the CAMLOCK unit can compress itself into the abdomen and rise up under the sternum. The result is possible broken ribs, punctured lungs or bruised hearts. A lot of people forego the crotch belt because they don't want to drill holes in the floorboard.

Just food for thought, I'm not busting chops or anything.

Don't get me wrong, harnesses are great for AX and track events (if properly installed). Just wanted you to be aware of what you might encounter if (hopefully never) you find yourself in an accident.

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 05-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #18
eventerke
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the concern - the Schroth is actually DOT- approved.

http://www.soloracer.com/harnschrothfaq.html

The shoulder belts are connected to the rear passenger seatbelt points, and the lap belt attaches to the stock driver seatbelt points. They have this tech they call ASM for anti-submarining that is supposed to apply slightly unequal force on the shoulder belts, which cranks the lap-belt in a way that locks the pelvis in the seat.

Pretty cool harness, but I think I need the shoulder-belt pads. Got it from a guy in the club who had it in his SVT Contour (badged SVT Hybrid - 3.0L Escape block, ported+polished Taurus heads, SVT intake).
Old 05-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #19
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

That's good to know. I wasn't aware that the Schroth harness has DOT approval.

Very cool. I will say that the belt pads do make a difference. My harnesses would always dig into my skin and be very uncomfortable if they slipped under my safety collar ad rubbed my neck.

2002 SVT Focus... Stock

Bookmarks & Social Networks