Western NY Autocrossers: Important news about your exhaust. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
torradan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25031
What I Drive: 2005 ZX4

Points 2,375, Level 29
Points: 2,375, Level: 29 Points: 2,375, Level: 29 Points: 2,375, Level: 29
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 torradan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Western NY Autocrossers: Important news about your exhaust.

Just read the supplemental rules for WNY-SCCA for 2007 on www.wny-scca.org . Looks like its only going to be strict for NCCC (because of that guy last year who complained is my guess).

Quote:
Sound The purpose of sound regulation is to protect our sites. It is not intended to be punitive, or to provide a competitive advantage.
No car shall exceed a sound reading of 90DB. The sound station will be positioned based on course design, wind direction, and neighborhood factors at the discretion of the Solo Chair and Chief of Sound. In most cases this means the sound meter will be between the course and the closest neighbors to the site where sound may be of issue. There is no predetermined distance from the course to the sound meter, however the sound meter will never be closer then 30' from the point of measurement.
The Sound limit is subject to change any time during the season.
If a competitor's sound reading exceeds the determined limit, the competitorís run will result in a DNF, and the competitor must make a good faith effort to quiet the car before being allowed to run again. The competitor may continue with their next run once approved by the Chief of Sound, Chief of Tech, or the Solo Chair. A competitor who exceeds the sound limit twice will be removed from the event.
Sound violations can be protested immediately, only by the competitor. Sound protests should be brought to the attention of the Chief of Sound or Solo Chair as soon as it is reasonable and safe to do so. Should the protest be upheld, a rerun will be granted. Protests regarding the calibration of the sound equipment are to be judged by the opinion of the Chief of Sound and Solo Chair, benchmarked against the relative readings of other competitors. Should the sound meter be deemed malfunctioning, sound rules will be suspended for the remainder of the event. Prior sound violations will not be overturned.
Decisions made on a sound protest are not subject to protest by other competitors.
If it is deemed that a competitor has taken efforts to avoid detection of a car that is indeed over the sound limit, that personís times will be discarded, and they will shall not be able to run for the remainder of the event.
Examples of sound level avoidance include, but are not limited to: Using a bend added to the tail pipe to direct sound away from the metering station, lifting off the throttle near the sound station for the sole purpose of avoiding sound detection, changing driving line to move farther from the sound station. Adding a turn down to direct sound towards the ground IS acceptable, as the ground can act as an adequate muffler and disperses sound evenly so as not to skew sound readings.
Wish I had a decibel meter to check my exhaust. At least that annoying loud red Triumph (or is it an MG?) won't be so annoying.

Still not sure how you can make a "good faith effort" to quiet the car down between runs. I think thats read as "pack up, you're done for the day".

Western New York SCCA - Cone Killer #440
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by torradan View Post
Just read the supplemental rules for WNY-SCCA for 2007 on www.wny-scca.org . Looks like its only going to be strict for NCCC (because of that guy last year who complained is my guess).

Wish I had a decibel meter to check my exhaust. At least that annoying loud red Triumph (or is it an MG?) won't be so annoying.

Still not sure how you can make a "good faith effort" to quiet the car down between runs. I think thats read as "pack up, you're done for the day".
Torradan -

Just poking around and while I am not from NY, I am an avid AX participant.

This is fairly common language and I really don't think you have much to worry about.

There is so much ground for protest on the part of a competitor that it renders this almost silly.

The rule is short sighted in the sense that it doesn't provide a specification for how the sound is measured.

At what distance is the suond measured? Saw the 30' mentioned above. Still, 30 feet from where?

Is it measured at the tailpipe?

Is it measured at idle? If not, what RPM is considered the standard?

Is the RPM standard consistent across manufacturers?

I doubt who ever in your region wrote that rule considered these things. Finally, if the car has a valid inspection sticker (in VA), then it has a muffler. That's all we really look at because we can't enforce anything.

For reference, a 747 under full throttle at take off produces 120DB at a distance of 1500 meters.

So, most cars should be able to be able to meet the 90DB requirement.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 04-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
torradan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25031
What I Drive: 2005 ZX4

Points 2,375, Level 29
Points: 2,375, Level: 29 Points: 2,375, Level: 29 Points: 2,375, Level: 29
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 torradan Good Standing Member
Yeah it seems fairly loose. They mentioned further on around page 3 of the thread that its not going to be strictly enforced. No idea on how sound is measured.. sounds like just at a station somewhere on the course with the meter.

So I'm guessing if its someone running open header(s) or straight pipes like some seem to do, or even the karts, they may have an issue.
Western New York SCCA - Cone Killer #440
Old 04-27-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by torradan View Post
Yeah it seems fairly loose. They mentioned further on around page 3 of the thread that its not going to be strictly enforced. No idea on how sound is measured.. sounds like just at a station somewhere on the course with the meter.

So I'm guessing if its someone running open header(s) or straight pipes like some seem to do, or even the karts, they may have an issue.
We included it in our section to prevent people in full blown race cars (no mufflers, headers, etc) from competing. Part of that was for insurance. AX is a "precision driving event" according to SCCA and to see a bunch of full blown race cars in the paddock area makes that a pretty hard pill to swallow.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 04-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
PARKINGLOT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31916
What I Drive: 2001 Sangria Red ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 PARKINGLOT Good Standing Member
I thought the legal limit was 95db?
SEDAN REVOLUTION #123
95' Grand Cherokee 4x4. Wheeler, Tow Pig, & DD

"It's much more fun to drive a slow car fast, then a fast car slow..."
Old 04-30-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
dohcsable
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 46540
What I Drive: 2001 black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 dohcsable Good Standing Member
dang, I won't be taking the bmw to new york anytime soon. lol.

the poor corvair guys here in indiana would be bounced as well.....

I also think it is somewhat wrong to put in effect rules to prevent people from running, its like some of you guys are afraid of competition

As for me, bring it all on....doesn't matter if I am in H-stock with the focus, or X-prepared with the BMW....lol

Andrew
Old 04-30-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
rnrbldrlvr24
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42614
What I Drive: 2005 flame red srt-4

FF Reputation: 1 rnrbldrlvr24 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
dohcsable.. i dont think anyone is scared of competition they are just watching out for themselves so they can still hold the events and not get closed down for a great amount of people around the area complaining about the noise the cars make. as well as no one wanting any case of hearing problems even tho it really isnt that loud still just a safety thing.

Bookmarks & Social Networks