"How To" - SVTF Header Wrap - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
HaveBlue83

Fan#: 1358
What I Drive: a car

FF Reputation: 70 HaveBlue83 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Talking "How To" - SVTF Header Wrap

I haven't seen this done yet, at least not in a way that looks nice.....

Header Wrap HOW-TO:

NEEDED ITEMS:
-Header Wrap (1 roll of 50'x2" is reccommended for 4-cyl engines) I had about 18" left over with that length
-Metal ties
-(optional) silicone spray sealant for wrap
-Hose Clamp(s)

TOOLS:
-2 jackstands
-Jack
-Breaker bar
-Sockets 8mm, 10mm,113mm
-PB Blaster
-Metal sheers

1. 8mm socket for header cover shield bolts (4 top, 2 bottom) (may need PB blaster to break free)(my bottom ones were already popped off the shield) re-attatch line after bolt is off
2. metal sheers to cut header heat shield
3. HAVE FUN cutting the heat shield to pieces…….
4. PB Blast the header attachment bolts and let soak
5. remove the header bolts and cat bolts…..10mm & 13mm…I loosened the header first, them went under and separated the cat and the header. Breaker bar for cat bolts. My cat bolts are not stick size.
6. pull out dipstick, it pills out
7. remove header from engine…I took it out from below.
8. Replace dipstick and cover manifold holes to keep dirt out.
9. OPTIONAL……I painted the top of the header with the HI temp Silicone paint to make it have a finished look….
10. Wrap the header…….Took me over an hour…have fun I used a hose clamp at the bottom of the header for the last part of the wrap to secure the two pieces together. I will check on that and see how it holds up to the heat.
11. Seal the wrap by painting with Hi-Temp silicone paint……it says that curing happens at 400 Deg. I will be curing mine by installing and running my car….I do not have an oven available…..3 coats seemed like enough.
12. install the header making sure not to smear the paint if you did not bake the header. Install is the reverse of removal.
13. install the dipstick
14. check all bolts for tightness once again
15. start car, and let it cook off all the header wrap residue and paint…it WILL SMOKE a LOT. As in tremendous amounts of SMOKE.....
16. I have driven the car for a day, and it has stopped smoking, but it smells from time to time like it’s burning off. I can now touch the headers without burning my hand. Under hood temps have def been reduced.

the car still smells a lil bit, and it has been a few days now......it baked on nicely though.

PICTS:

Supplies:

Nice, shiney header heat shield:

bolt removed to allow repositioning of P.S. line (so I wouldn't cut it with the shield):

bending shield to remove:

Metal sheers:

underside......need to cut here:

Popping the rivets off the sides of the shield.......almost there....

it's OFF!!!!! and it looks hideously ugly....

well, it's in one piece.....save it for the collection....

remove header from cat and engine block........pretty simple....

wrapping the header......have fun, it takes a bit....I had about 18in left over when I was finished....

showing the amount of overlap I used.....

I did it in this order:

I had to cut the one area by the lower bolt to get the wrap to lay flatter on the header....

That is the header wrapped.....next I silicone painted it to seal it.....
I did 3 coats:

1-2 coats:

finished.....it's almost a powder, so you have to be carefull not to smudge the paint....I held it by the wrap......

nice and pretty.....

next I reinstalled it....and this is the result

view from below:

so...HOW MUCH does it smoke??????

like THIS for 10 min.......

It took me 5-6 hours, taking my time, not messing up, doing it correctly.......

have fun

Last edited by HaveBlue83; 03-12-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks