Went to the track for the 1st time (sigh) - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-11-2004, 08:33 PM   #11
silverfoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 459
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 silverfoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
1st-2nd=6500
2nd-3rd=6200
3rd-4th=6000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2004, 09:05 PM   #12
lwnslw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3640
What I Drive: F150

FF Reputation: 1 lwnslw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The answer you seek can only be answered by you. You have to learn your cars power band so that you shift your car when it is at it's full potential. Shifting at high rpm's is not always the best shifting method. All cars have a "sweet spot" which is the rpm where they make the most power, until you know at what point this is occuring you will not meet your cars full potential. As fokuzsport suggested, you can find your cars "sweet spot" by tuning your car on a dyno. IE.... even though your cars redline may be 6500 rpm it does not mean that the car makes power all the way to redline. Your car may only make it's most usable hp at 6200 rpm thus you will lose power by shifting at 6500. Hope this helps. Good luck
Old 04-13-2004, 02:15 AM   #13
MarlboroMan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100
What I Drive: 06 Frontier KC 2X4 6-spd

FF Reputation: 1 MarlboroMan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by lwnslw
The answer you seek can only be answered by you. You have to learn your cars power band so that you shift your car when it is at it's full potential. Shifting at high rpm's is not always the best shifting method. All cars have a "sweet spot" which is the rpm where they make the most power, until you know at what point this is occuring you will not meet your cars full potential. As fokuzsport suggested, you can find your cars "sweet spot" by tuning your car on a dyno. IE.... even though your cars redline may be 6500 rpm it does not mean that the car makes power all the way to redline. Your car may only make it's most usable hp at 6200 rpm thus you will lose power by shifting at 6500. Hope this helps. Good luck
to add to the above...

it is not all about horsepower, you have factor in your torque curve too...

if you shift at your peak horsepower, but it drops you 1000 rpm below your torque curve, it wlll have done you no good, and you will end up losing time...

unfortunatly I have had no quality time with the zetec, or a heavily modded one like in your case....

the easist thing I can tell you to do is to run your car hard, and findout at what RPM the pull feals strongest to you, dynos aside, the ol' butt dyno can do wonders, but you need to figure out where your power band is, and if you can feal it...

try starting off wot where you almoststall, and really slowly get insto 2nd gear, then shift into 3rd so you are at about 1000 rpm, then punch it all the way up to redline, while keeping an eye on your tach, where the pull feals the strongest, generaly around 3000 rpm in most 4 cyllinders, then change your shift points so you always hit that spot, most cars drop about 2500-4000 1st-2nd 2500-3000 2nd-3rd 2000-3000 3rd-4th...
#### FS Cat Back Exhaust ####
#######################
In a world that is crazy it is insane not to be.
http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style8,marlboroman.png
Old 04-13-2004, 02:54 AM   #14
Infra3sv
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
Get a turbocharger!
Old 04-13-2004, 04:24 AM   #15
Discord
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1491
What I Drive: '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Discord Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
There's a bunch of factors that will help you improve...most of all, practice. Not on the street, but on the strip. Launching on the street is not at all the same.

Other factors, temp, altitude, etc will affect time as well.

Overall, for your mods (power wise), that time isn't bad. Hell, I went to the track on friday, couldn't pull anthing less than a mid to high 2.4 60' due to the track being cold and a bit slick.

In short..it sucked. But I will be back...practice, practice, practice....
80 V8 Pinto - pulled the motor, 331 stroker in progress

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->