Long Crank/Hard Start 2.0L And 2.3L Engine With MTX-75 Transaxle Bulletin - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Performance (2003-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #71
shawn_carter69
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37668
What I Drive: 2006 Infra Red ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 shawn_carter69 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by RedDevilST
So wouldn't this long cranking problem, mine does it too just I just leave the ignition in pos 2 for a few seconds before starting, cause starters to fail prematurely?
I can't see how. You're not actually cranking the starter over, and pos 2 (if you mean the second click) is where the key sits during normal operation anyways. If you mean the second position as in the first click then it's just accessory power.
ST Crew #48
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2006, 07:47 AM   #72
bacarl
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31588
What I Drive: 05 InfraRed ST-T

FF Reputation: 5 bacarl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally posted by shawn_carter69
I can't see how. You're not actually cranking the starter over, and pos 2 (if you mean the second click) is where the key sits during normal operation anyways. If you mean the second position as in the first click then it's just accessory power.
I think he meant that a long crank would affect starter life. I wouldn't worry about it because the starter only works for a few extra seconds each time that it happens, and it doesn't even happen that often. I suppose that maybe you'd lose 1 or 2 starts off the life of the starter but you'll never notice it. Starters are built to cycle hundreds of thousands of times.

On topic, I had the hard start issue early in my car's life, had the PCM reprogram, along with a new mass airflow sensor, and the issue was all but completely resolved. Maybe once a month at the very most the car is a little stubborn starting, but not as bad as it was a year ago. I've never felt the cruising-speed stutter so maybe my original PCM reprogram resolved that issue.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #73
FocusRST
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 38767
What I Drive: 99 EBP Si

FF Reputation: 1 FocusRST Good Standing Member
about the stuttering issue. Could it have something to do with the distributor shorting out for a split second some how? I was reading about how it feels like the engine just turns off and comes back on. I know i dont have the same car, but my distributor cap was loose, and i drove through a huge puddle and it got a little bit of water in the distributor. While i was driving around occasionally at 3k the rpms would drop by 2grand or more, for like a split second, then shoot right back up to 5k and then level out. I went and got it lookd at and they told me it was becuase water got inside it and that it was shorting out some of the sparks to the engine killing the combustion and hurting the performance. Now im not saying water got in the distributor, but maybe the distributor is causing the problem or something?
Old 10-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #74
networkinrocket
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 29375
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 networkinrocket Good Standing Member
I found that the stutter at crusing speed can mean a problem with the EGR vavle. might want to check into that.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:34 PM   #75
Canadian ST

Fan#: 38681
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ST

FF Reputation: 1 Canadian ST Good Standing Member
I have sent my ST back to the dealership 3x for that problem, they said they reflashed it every time. Its funny the problem is getting worse but since the last reflash my MPG has gotten better (extra 55Km to a tank)
Old 12-26-2006, 01:27 AM   #76
ttvines
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40005
FF Reputation: 1 ttvines Good Standing Member
Yeah my car also sometimes takes a while to start. One time it didnt start on the first key turn, I let it crank for 5 seconds untill the second key turn, it then started right away. Maybe its because its new. Its a 2007, zx3, 2 liter, manual 5000 miles. Other than that its a great car.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:53 AM   #77
PINTOS
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 42348
FF Reputation: 1 PINTOS Good Standing Member
There is NO cure or fix

The fuel pump is bleeding fuel pressure because of a design problem. You have to live with it.

The fix is to buy a new car, but for now just crank it till tomorrow, until it starts, until you need a new car.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #78
Vance
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24185
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE 2.0L ATX Aqua Blue Met.

FF Reputation: 6 Vance Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINTOS View Post
The fuel pump is bleeding fuel pressure because of a design problem. You have to live with it.

The fix is to buy a new car, but for now just crank it till tomorrow, until it starts, until you need a new car.
And where did you get this information?
Old 09-27-2007, 07:32 AM   #79
joel22484
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39476
What I Drive: 07 Liquid Grey ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 joel22484 Good Standing Member
Yes, I know I'm digging this up from the grave but I am having the same long start problem on my 07 focus. It's had the problem ever since I bought it (brand new in Sept. of 06). It happens about once every couple weeks or so. So I just need to have them flash my PCM? Shouldn't I have the most updated codes already?
Old 08-08-2008, 11:24 PM   #80
Bigphil76
Banned

Fan#: 56091
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus zx3 ses

FF Reputation: 0 Bigphil76 Newbie
i took my car to the dealer and explained it to my hard start problem and they took it in the back and supposdley hooked it up to the computer and came back and told me it was the FUEL PUMP MODULATER and would cost 250 to fix i said bump that and left. is this a recall yet and what do i need to do. the reflash at my local dealer range from 40 to 70 dollars. what do i need to do?????

Bookmarks & Social Networks