SVT Header Conversion - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #1
lildisco
RespectMyAuthoritah!

Fan#: 5761
What I Drive: 06 Mazda6i, 08 Mazda CX7 GT AWD

FF Reputation: 47 lildisco Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Angry SVT Header Conversion

MY GOD. Whoever said the SVT Header is just a simple bolt on can go to hell. This was the biggest BEOCH i've ever done on a car. Besides the fact that my car is an 03 and it was coated with rust, the header wouldn't fit into place properly. MY EGR Tube had to be cut off and my bolts holding on the flex to the cat had to be cut as well. This thing wouldn't co-operate for the life of it. Now before you guys go and say it shouldn't have taken you that long you weren't doing something right. I had 2 other people that put race headers on their Foci and 1 of those has put about 4 Headers on different Foci. We had a good arsenal prepared.

We started around 12:30PM and didn't get done till nearly 9PM. Everything was prep'd with Penetrating Fluid and that fun stuff. The stock header and cat were soo rusted into place it was sicking. Tiresmoker (Brian) had to have knocked about 30lbs of rust off the front of my car and about 10lbs of that went into his eyes, hair and beard. After we get the stock stuff out we had to get the new EGR Tube in place. We took the coil pack out and that left us with enough room to get the new EGR where it was supposed to be. Then came the SVT header. It would not co-operate what-so-ever getting it. We had to get it at an angle and forcefully get it to where it needed to be.

After we got it where it should be, we put some studs in. NO ONE HAS EVER MENTIONED HOW MUCH OF A PAIN IN THE A$$ THE PASSENGER SIDE STUD IS!!!!!!!! You need to be Machinest to fab up something to tighten that thing down. It would have made it semi-easy to have ratchet wrenches but still would have been only able to give it about 1/8th of a turn each time. Once the bolts were in place and torqued, we attempted to get the Dipstick and Tube into place. What another royal pain in the ass. Everytime we thought we had it into place, the damn thing would pop out or fall out. Once we were satisfied on the tube being in place, we worked on the heat shield. WHAT ANOTHER PAIN IN THE A$$!!!!!!!!!! It would not go on to save us all. We had to 'custom' bend the head sheild to get it to go on the header. Then my Power Steering line buts right up next to the runner of the SVT Header. Yes it does have the shielding around the line, but Christ, it's close. Fortunatley SKAaddict (GEO) had a Laser Thermometer and all the PS lines were still well below critical temps. I'm planning on getting the SVT Power Steering line or fabbing up something in the near future.

Besides the beoch install, the SVT Header is Great!!!!! I shocked Tiresmoker, because i was actually able to keep up with him and his supercharged and aftercooled ZX3. Now let me clarify that. Keep up means that he was pulling on me, but not as fast as he would have liked. If he woulda missed a gear i would have passed him. Brian is having some tunning issue as we can almost garuntee that what it was, but he was still a little upset Now my car sounds like complete a$$ when i go WOT. It's LOUD!!!! Brian said it was louder than his car with a Race Header and Borla Exhaust. I have a hi-Flow Cat, Bosal Flex, and Magnaflow Cat-Back. It gets real raspy and tinny (tin-ne) up top and when i let off the gas. I'm certain that a Resonator is in the works for the near future. Cruising at highway speeds and babying are fine. The exhaust is a little louder than before, but nice tone to it. As soon as i go wide open throttle, all hell breaks loose. It sounds as though something is ratting, so i think i'm going to replace my Hangers as well.

I will have pics up here shortly when Geo gives them to me. I also have an Exhaust clip, but it sounds slightly different in person. I love my header, but i'm un-certain that if i could have done it over again, that i wouldn't have done it. But i had a fun time Sunday at the Auto-X where i place first in my class good friends good times

Brian and Val, I cannot thank you guys enough. Your mom and dad too. If you guys ever need anything, i'll do my best to help you out. I'm really shocked that your mom didn't have my stuff gift wrapped by the door before i left I meant to say thanks again to your parents before i left, but i was too tired and forget and felt bad on the way home

03 SE SVT Wannabe (sold) to help pay for my 08 Cooper Red Mazda CX7 AWD GT

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->