Spun a bearing, threw a rod? ouch - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
SVTJerbo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9367
What I Drive: 2002 Svtf

FF Reputation: 1 SVTJerbo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Spun a bearing, threw a rod? ouch

It appears my engine is toast, I had my car towed to ford last weekend after i was driving and there was a loud bang accompanied by loss of oil pressure and a nasty knocking/clacking sound. This diagnosis was that i spun a bearing and possibly threw a rod, I have an aftermarket warranty that would cover such things. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time because I change my own oil and because when my car arrived in the shop the oil level was very low(dont worry about the large puddle where i pushed the car to and the large puddle where it was sitting after the tow truck dropped it off... outside the service dept. The tech that inspected it said that lack of oil was the cause, the oil filter had loosened up(last oil change was about 2 months ago) and thats where most of it had leaked from.

Its entirely plausible that 2 months ago i improperly tightened the filter "it was only on by 2 threads" were the techs exact words, which we all know is bullshit, if it was only on that little it wouldnt even stay on and all the oil would have dumped long long ago. Yet my argument that whatever internal part(s) broke accompanied by lots of shaking could have loosened an already slightly loose but still functional filter is completely discredited along with the large puddles of used oil underneath my car at their dealership(after the damage) and the parking lot behind my apt. where i pushed it to(also after the damage)

I park in the same parking spot at work/my apt./girlfriends house and like anyone who does work on their own car or anyone with half a brain i take notice of things like oh i dont know allegedly loosing 3-4 quarts of oil onto the ground to cause all of this.

So now my warranty company is having them tear apart the engine to properly diagnose the cause, its my understanding the bearings should look polished? and if it was lack of oil they would be scratched looking? I don't know enough about internals so I'm hoping you guys could help me out with that bit. I'm already planning for worst case but with the lack of used svt engines i'm not sure how many cost saving methods i can implore..... any ideas?

Bookmarks & Social Networks