Mach 1 Lip on My 2005 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
eazyrider_tim
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7011
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES Gloss Black

FF Reputation: 2 eazyrider_tim Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Mach 1 Lip on My 2005

I don't think this is difficult enough to deserve a detailed step by step how-to as I planned. And I had a warp in it from shipping on the right side under the fog light, not in the picture....it bends upward maybe 1/8" for a 2" length....I am going to borrow a friend heat gun and that should fix it.

Anyway, here is how to do it without getting too detailed and no pics. Sorry.

Tools Needed

Suggestion* Lay something flat and heavy on it for a day to take out the stress bends from being shipped in a small box. Will minimize warps.....

1 small nail
a cig. lighter
pliars (snips)
pair of flat nosed pliars
14-self tapping screws
28-nuts (if the length of the tap of your screws doesn't go from the tip all the way to the head)

1-Anyway, measure and find your centers of both the bumper on the car, and the lip. Use the flat nosed pliars to hold the small nail and heat it up with the lighter.

2-Use the hot nail to poke hole thru your centers, put the hole of the lip to match the hole of the bumper.

3-Put 2 nuts onto the screw, screw into the holes. The nuts are very helpful because you can adjust the tension on each section to keep it from warping after you get it all installed.....its going to warp on the ends some, but will come out after you adjust your screws.

4-Rinse and repeat going outwards from the center to the edges of the lip. I did it myself in about an hr, but would be easier if you have a second pair of eyes to get the distance from the edge of the bumper and the edge of the lip consistent.

5-When you get to the part just past the fog light area, you will notice the stress makes the corners pop up and outward, and also the stock 05 bumper has an indentation to it. Cut a v shaped slit into the top of the lip (the back hidden part of course) to make it sit flush when you torque the screws in. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP FOR OVERALL LOOKS. TAKE YOUR TIME.

6-measure the length of the edges you have sticking out in front of the wheel well at the corners, hopefully yours is the same. Mine was off center, and I didn't realize it until I made my trim cuts. So, before you cut, measure twice because once you cut the ends, thats it.

7-Make sure you park backwards when they have those concrete stoppers in the lot, because you don't want to ruin the new hotness. But if you forget, its very bendable.

8-Take some pics and add it here, later. I will get some taken on a real camera and not my phone after I get the stress part smoothed out, its nothing a common man would gripe about....but we are here for near perfection right....so you guys gotta wait until I get it perfect.

Bookmarks & Social Networks