2005 ZX3 w/Hard Start Problem - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #1
abilath
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 34575
What I Drive: 2005 Screaming Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 abilath Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2005 ZX3 w/Hard Start Problem

Hello:

I've been lurking here for a week or so and wanted to start by letting you all know what a great resource you've created here! I've been reading over the threads for hours each day and just can't get enough!

However, I am having a problem with my new (well, new to me) 2005 ZX3 S (STD Transmission/2.0L Duratech) that I hope you will be able to help me with: The dreaded hard-start/long-crank problem. The problem occurs, like clockwork, when the car is cold and the last run was a short one (even if it was a day or more before). Since the car is still under warranty, I took it to my local Ford dealer and received the PCM flash/calibration described in the TSBs. This improved my problem by eliminating the occasional warm hard-start condition but did nothing for the cold start/short run hard-start problem! Upon returning the dealer, I was informed that this was "normal behavior" for the car and if I cranked it for up to five seconds it would start. And, indeed, my local dealer was correct: It will start after like 15 cranks and some stumbling. I find this behavior unacceptable in a two-year-old fuel-injected car! I've owned a fuel-injected Nissan and Honda before this car and both started after two cranks (cold/hot/155,000+ miles -it didn't matter). So, discouraged, I went to another not-so-local Ford dealer in my area just to receive the same response: that this is "normal behavior." Neither dealer would even consider looking into the problem further since Ford has released a TSB indicating that this is normal!

So, now for the part where you guys may be able to help. :-) I've read several threads regarding this problem with no specific results. Has anyone with a 2005/2006 Focus managed to solve this problem? If so, how? Throughout the hard-start threads I've seen mention of fuel pumps, idle sensors, noise filters, and the like causing the problem, but am leery of just replacing random parts (Since neither dealer within 30 miles of me is willing to look into the problem, I'll be paying for these parts!). I am hoping to narrow down the list of possible suspects to one or two likely solutions. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 11:53 PM   #2
magic2119
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17493
What I Drive: 2005 yellow zx3

FF Reputation: 1 magic2119 Good Standing Member
i dont think anyone has a solution yet.

right now the best thing you can do is call ford and tell them this is happening. if we get enough people calling and complaning, the will hopefully do a recall on whatever the part is and get them fixed.
Team Duratec #15

You Are NOT Prepared!!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:31 AM   #3
scorpio1118_2000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11418
What I Drive: 2007 pitchblack zx4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 scorpio1118_2000 Good Standing Member
Old 04-26-2006, 12:32 AM   #4
abilath
Focus Rookie

magic2119:

Thanks for the reply. I was actually planning on calling Ford. Unfortunately, I have the feeling that this probably isn't a case where we will be getting a recall since Ford has already stated that this is "normal" (The TSB in the Oasis report that my local dealer emailed me actually says this!). With that said I will indeed call: You never know, we might make a difference... In the mean time, does anyone else have any suggestions or success stories?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 04-26-2006, 02:24 AM   #5
Andy04180
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21158
What I Drive: 2006 Focus ZX5 Liquid Grey

FF Reputation: 1 Andy04180 Good Standing Member
Went down to the dealership today to ask them about this issue. They know nothing of this and there isn't a TSB as of yet. Saw some for premature clutch wear, few other issues. None pertaining to the "Hard start" that I am sure most if not all have experianced.
Exterior Mods: 17" Motegi DP12 rims, 5% Tint, Silver Focus Fanatics decals
Entertainment:
Performance:
Team Duratec #70
Old 04-26-2006, 08:22 AM   #6
Algorhythm

Fan#: 20623
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3, 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R 636

FF Reputation: 105 Algorhythm Excellent Standing MemberAlgorhythm Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
This is how I fixed it.. well, it's a temporary solution:

Put the key on ON, but don't crank it for a good 5 seconds. Put your seatbelt on, fix something, then crank it.. no problems then. It's supposedly the fuel pump re-pressurizing.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
abilath
Focus Rookie

Frank:

Thanks for the input. In my case though, it does not seem to help (I usually wait until the dash lights "settle in" before starting my car anyway). I can actually tell when the hard start is going to happen before starting my car. When turning the key to on after the last run was a short run I can hear the fuel pump running for about a second. When this is the case, the start will be hard. If my last run was a long run, the fuel pump will run from three to four seconds and the car will start right up. It seems like a ECU/PCM problem to me: but, I'm no expert! Anyone else have any thoughts?

-Ryan
Old 04-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #8
abilath
Focus Rookie

Andy04180:

I don't know if this will help you or not, considering that you have an '06 ZX5, but below are the TSBs associated with my '05 ZX3's hard start problem:

2005 FOCUS: LONG CRANK/HARD START - 2.0L AND 2.3L ENGINE WITH MTX-75 TRANSAXLE
SOME 2005 FOCUS VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH MTX-75 MANUAL TRANSAXLES, MAY EXHIBIT A LONG CRANK OR HARD START CONDITION WITH NO MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) AND NO DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC'S) PRESENT. REPROGRAM THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) TO THE LATEST LEVEL USING WDS RELEASE B36.12 AND HIGHER OR B37.3 AND HIGHER. THIS NEW CALIBRATION IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE B37 CD. CALIBRATION FILES MAY ALSO BE OBTAINED AT WWW.MOTORCRAFT.COM.
See TSB for complete details
EFFECTIVE DATE: 04/29/2005

18157 2005 FOCUS - CRANK NO START OR OTHER DRIVEABILITY CONCERNS - SERVICE TIP
SOME 2005 FOCUS VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A CRANK NO START CONDITION OR OTHER DRIVEABILITY RELATED CONCERNS. PRIOR TO PERFORMING NORMAL DIAGNOSTICS, FIRST CHECK GROUND G301, WHICH IS LOCATED UNDER THE RIGHT REAR SEAT. IF G301 IS OK, PROCEED WITH NORMAL PC/ED MANUAL DIAGNOSTICS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 09/15/2004

19126 2005-2006 FOCUS - INTERMITTENT LONG CRANK TIMES
SOME 2005 FOCUS (MTX-75 TRANSMISSIONS WITH THE LATEST CALIBRATION PER TSB 05-9-16) OR 2006 FOCUS VEHICLES (ALL TRANSMISSIONS) MAY EXHIBIT INTERMITTENT LONG CRANK TIMES (UP TO 5 SECONDS) ON INITIAL START WITH NO MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) AND NO DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC'S) PRESENT. THIS IS NORMAL OPERATION AND NO REPAIR IS RECOMMENDED. FAILURE TO CRANK THE ENGINE UNTIL IT STARTS (UP TO 5 SECONDS) MAY RESULT IN LONGER CRANK TIMES OR HARD TO START CONCERNS ON SUBSEQUENT STARTING ATTEMPTS. IF THIS CONCERN OCCURS REFER TO THE OWNER'S GUIDE FOR FURTHER ENGINE STARTING INFORMATION. IF VEHICLE STILL FAILS TO START OR STILL EXHIBITS HARD STARTING CONCERNS REFER TO THE PC/ED MANUAL FOR DIAGNOSTICS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 03/13/2006

-Ryan
Old 04-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
nuttypet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30631
What I Drive: 05 Cloud 9 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 nuttypet Good Standing Member
I don't know what it is, but I have the same problem and I'm looking for a solution also
Old 04-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
Bubba Bob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21448
What I Drive: 05' ZX4 SE.

FF Reputation: 1 Bubba Bob Good Standing Member
Lightly press down on the peddle while starting...

Bookmarks & Social Networks