2005 ZX3 w/Hard Start Problem - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #1
abilath
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 34575
What I Drive: 2005 Screaming Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 abilath Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2005 ZX3 w/Hard Start Problem

Hello:

I've been lurking here for a week or so and wanted to start by letting you all know what a great resource you've created here! I've been reading over the threads for hours each day and just can't get enough!

However, I am having a problem with my new (well, new to me) 2005 ZX3 S (STD Transmission/2.0L Duratech) that I hope you will be able to help me with: The dreaded hard-start/long-crank problem. The problem occurs, like clockwork, when the car is cold and the last run was a short one (even if it was a day or more before). Since the car is still under warranty, I took it to my local Ford dealer and received the PCM flash/calibration described in the TSBs. This improved my problem by eliminating the occasional warm hard-start condition but did nothing for the cold start/short run hard-start problem! Upon returning the dealer, I was informed that this was "normal behavior" for the car and if I cranked it for up to five seconds it would start. And, indeed, my local dealer was correct: It will start after like 15 cranks and some stumbling. I find this behavior unacceptable in a two-year-old fuel-injected car! I've owned a fuel-injected Nissan and Honda before this car and both started after two cranks (cold/hot/155,000+ miles -it didn't matter). So, discouraged, I went to another not-so-local Ford dealer in my area just to receive the same response: that this is "normal behavior." Neither dealer would even consider looking into the problem further since Ford has released a TSB indicating that this is normal!

So, now for the part where you guys may be able to help. :-) I've read several threads regarding this problem with no specific results. Has anyone with a 2005/2006 Focus managed to solve this problem? If so, how? Throughout the hard-start threads I've seen mention of fuel pumps, idle sensors, noise filters, and the like causing the problem, but am leery of just replacing random parts (Since neither dealer within 30 miles of me is willing to look into the problem, I'll be paying for these parts!). I am hoping to narrow down the list of possible suspects to one or two likely solutions. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan

Bookmarks & Social Networks