Exhaust Tip Troubles - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-14-2006, 12:39 AM   #1
curvenin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 34001
FF Reputation: 1 curvenin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exhaust Tip Troubles

I picked up an exhaust tip that looks really good, my problem is i believe the tail pipe opening is like 2", the opening for the tip is around 1.75" you might be thinking that doesnt make any sense but it closes a little so it has that stock appearance (you dont see the tail pipe inside the tip). Like a convexed washer connecting the circumference of the tip thus the reason of the smaller opening. I like it a lot but what do you think?? is that opening at the end of the tip going to affect the performance and mpg??? I dont think it will matter, it is right at the end and it is not consistent through out the pipe. It shouldnt be constricting the exhaust flow that much?? Taking it off and on I dont really notice a difference with respects how fast the exhaust comes out. Your opinion is very important to me.
Thanks
Jeff
2006 Focus ses

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2006, 01:24 AM   #2
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Its not that big of a difference...the stock tailpipe is 1.875" (1-7/8"), so you're looking at a difference of 1/8" at the very end of the system. Even if you had a completely aftermarket exhaust system with a race header I don't think it would rob that much power.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
Blurvfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 15299
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Wine Cooled Eng.

FF Reputation: 54 Blurvfocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Well I did the math. The 1.75 in. circle only has 77% of the area the 2.0 in circle has. (the area of a circle is not proportional to it's diameter, since you're squareing the radius). It's a restriction, all right; but I have no idea what it means in terms of performance.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Except the stock pipe is 1.875", not 2".

Bookmarks & Social Networks