06 suspension - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-23-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
Ripped_06_ST
Retired Focus Addict

Fan#: 18779
What I Drive: 2013 5.0

FF Reputation: 49 Ripped_06_ST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
06 suspension

ok I have a few questions that I REALLY need answered... so please help me out here!!!!

My first question is, some of you say that the 06 Focuses that were made in late 05 have the earlier suspension set-up and the ones that were made later in the year like December or later in 06 have the new set-up which they changed something little in the front springs where they taper more or something. My question is my car was built in 09/05 and my engine bay is from the 05 models because the power steering tank is near the firewall and not right in the front so does this mean I could have the older version of the suspension? I already have the pro-kit springs that were specially made for the 06 but I am thinking that they are the wrong ones because what if I have the older version of the suspension? Would the 06 springs fit the 05 suspension cause the ones I have seem to fit right... I hope.

My next question is I just ordered the dampers for my car through performancecenter.com I think it was, and when I looked up the dampers for the 06 the part number was 3588.840 and when I looked for the dampers for the 05 the part number was the same... so does this mean that dampers didn't change from the 05??? I already purchased them so I am not going to cancel the order cause if they are wrong I will sell them on here. The thing I DO NOT want to do is rip the suspension apart and come to find out that the dampers are wrong and WILL NOT fit cause I will be livid.

I know I kinda type a novel and everything but please help me here becasue I would really like to know whats up with these cars.

ST Crew #16
Think adoption before buying, give a needy animal a loving and caring home!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:11 PM   #2
eddiebrock71
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34286
FF Reputation: 1 eddiebrock71 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Well I have an 06 and looking for a suspension. From what I have read the 06 and the 05 are different. The 05 has a smaller strut mount recession in the knuckle. The recession in the 06 is larger, so an 05 or earlier shock will not fit. If you want to use an 05 or earlier strut and spring kit, you need to change the knuckles. Once the knuckles are changed, you can use any lowering kit from earlier versions of the focus. And that should solve the problem.

Also note that I looked at a 05 next to an 06, and what was visible is that the 06 spring perch was flat, while the 05 had a raised edge around the spring perch. Not sure if I am using the right term, but it kind of looks like a sacure on the 06 and more of a bowl on the 05's.

As far as I know there are no struts for the 06's yet, rumor has it Eibach has them very very soon. As for the springs, I know steeda sells a set for the 06 for $250, and I keep hearing Eibach has a set, which I think you have.

But for now, we have to wait for new struts, or change to 05 knuckles, and use any of the exhisting kits out there. Good luck.

Let me know what you find.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:42 AM   #3
Ripped_06_ST
Retired Focus Addict

I already bought the dampers because they said it would fit an 06... I chose the year model and everything and the dampers came up and I got them for 250 or something close.
ST Crew #16
Old 05-24-2006, 02:47 AM   #4
Ripped_06_ST
Retired Focus Addict

I have another question... well two...LOL

1. Is the perch we are talking about the flat piece of metal that is like half way down the strut that the spring sits on????

2. If something is different about them will I be able to tell by looking at the new Eibach strut and then looking at the stock one???
ST Crew #16
Old 05-24-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
eddiebrock71
Focus Enthusiast

Yes, I am talking about the perch half way up the strut. I parked my 06 next to an 05 and that perch is different between the two. 06 is just about flat, while the 05 has a cup effect to it.

Again, for the dampers, if the diameters do not match on the base, they will not fit. That is the big issue with the 06's, they have a larger strut mount opening in the knuckle...

so if your struts are 06 you will need an 06 spring. But what I understand some of the early 06 models still have the 05 suspension. So if you have an early 06 with the 05 suspension, the 2006 stuff will not work.

If the strut perches are different, then the shocks will not mount in the knuckles.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Memberviney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
The one guy that I know that is up on this is TonyD. at newedgeperformance.com
Old 05-24-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
eddiebrock71
Focus Enthusiast

Just remember Ford screwed up the whole focus deal changing things, that do not really add to the performance of the vehicle. They just made alot of focus customizers upset.

For example I have went to Ford Parts' sites, and they only have one part number for a knuckle for the 2006 and 2006. But after researching and reading about the focus on various sites, I know it not right. Thats why a 2005 and earlier lowering kit will not fit on a 2006.

But if you are stuck with a 2005 kit and it will not fit your car, you can purchase the knuckles for about $200. Then I think you would need a upper spring perch, and then the rest should work.

But I have asked, and it seems no one here has lowered a late model 2006 with a complete kit. They just use the springs.

Personally, I want matched struts with my springs, but nothing out for 2006. And honestly the aftermarket is very slow to catch up. HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO MAKE A NEW SPRING PERCH DESIGN, AND LOWER MOUNT TO FIT IN THE KNUCKLES.

I thought it would be easy to do a suspension on a focus, but Ford screwed it up. Just that one little change in the front suspension, causes 06 owners to upgrade to a complete suspension.

springs alone is not a complete suspension.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #8
Ripped_06_ST
Retired Focus Addict

well I recieved my dampers today and I can clearly see the front ones are different so I have to find out what is what. I need to call Eibach and see when they are going to release the dampers because I want them now and I need them to do a complete set cause I would feel better.
ST Crew #16
Old 05-26-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
Texas Notorious
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34232
FF Reputation: 1 Texas Notorious Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
They were changed in 05 not 06. So 05 stuff will fit. There is just not that much stuff for 05 and its hard to find.

Team Duratec #69
Old 05-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
PLracing
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1874
What I Drive: 2009 WRX

FF Reputation: 1 PLracing Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Look at tire rack. here is the link '06 Focus suspension

I recomend H&R cup kit. I hed it on my zx3 and loved it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks