Removing Glued Inst. Cover/Cust. Bezel Install - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
zxdubya
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 31543
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3 PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 zxdubya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Removing Glued Inst. Cover/Cust. Bezel Install

I bought a brushed aluminum instrument panel bezel, but I couldn’t install it because the plastic lens covering the gauges was glued to the shroud or housing (I used both terms interchangeably). The instructions said I would have to cut it off with a Dremel and cutting disc. I didn’t want to go there, but I couldn’t find any details on the Forum on how to remove the lens when it’s glued or install a custom bezel over the stock one. [I corrected the pictures] Here’s my adventure:

Tools I needed for this job: scissors, an old dental tool, and a bottle of De-Solv-It:

With the nozzle set to “stream, “ spray only the bottom section of the shroud, inside and out, all the way across, and let it sit for a minute or two.

Using your fingers, grab the center of the bottom of the shroud and GENTLY rock the black part (not the clear lens) back and forth. It will start to creak and crack as it works loose.

Then move to one side, gently rocking the black part as you go, until it breaks loose. When you get to the section where the mounting tabs are, and on into the corners, use your finger to press it into the seam where the lens meets the black frame—from the inside—until it breaks loose. (I don’t recommend using the bolt tabs to rock this section as you did in the thin center section; I developed cracks in the lens near the sides of the tab. They were small and were covered up when I installed the assembly. Hopefully they won’t continue to grow)

I removed the icon film (for lack of a better description) from each side of the housing and washed and dried them.

Then I washed and dried the entire assembly because I sprayed all of the seams before I figured out I could slip the bezel in from the bottom and everything got coated. If you do wash yours, use a LINT FREE soft cloth to try it. A small paintbrush can be used to clean up any lint inside the assembly.

Once you’ve opened up the bottom, slide the bezel in by, again, gently pulling the black frame away from the lens. Be careful to not scratch the interior of the housing or the lens.

Once you have it inside, check the fitment.

If it looks good, turn the assembly over so you’re looking at it from the back.

Let the bezel lay on the lens (you might want to put a piece of paper between the lens and to bezel to avoid scratching the lens), and cut the double-sided tape to fit on various locations on the bezel (I put most of mine on the top and sides). Pull the backing strip off the tape (I used the scissors to put the tape into place) and press the pieces of tape in place on the bezel. Again, be careful not to scratch the lens when you do this. Make sure all parts of the tape are secured to the bezel or it will try to peel off when you remove the other backing strip.

Now, remove the second backing strip. This one was difficult because of the tight space and because there was nowhere to grab this backer. This is where I used the dental tool:

The long handle and pointed tip made it easier to pull the flimsy, invisible, second backing strip off. If the tape hangs over where it can be seen from the front, just use your finger to roll that part out of the way; the tape sticks to itself really well. Carefully turn the entire housing back so you can see it from the front. Line everything up and press it into place. Tada!

I didn’t bother reattaching the bottom seam. I hope this won’t cause a moisture/fogging problem later.

Here’s how it looks:

Last edited by zxdubya; 04-10-2006 at 07:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
levelseven

Fan#: 28167
What I Drive: zx3

FF Reputation: 1 levelseven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
That looks sooooo good
Old 04-10-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
That's sweet! I've been seeing all the threads on the gauge backgrounds, and none have impressed me enough to even consider all the work involved. Then you had to go and post that bezel... dang!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Added to the 'HOW TO ARCHIVE'..... nice work!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
FocusMoosh
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 70753
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FocusMoosh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Please re-upload these photos!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
MetalHead
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 68434
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 MetalHead Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusMoosh View Post
Please re-upload these photos!
Agreed.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
zxdubya
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 31543
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3 PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 zxdubya Good Standing Member
Pics are back up!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #8
akcapfoc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64965
What I Drive: 07 Focus ZXWagon SE, CD Silver, MTX

FF Reputation: 1 akcapfoc Good Standing Member
Thx!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
ah1f39
Alone in the Cave

Fan#: 70006
What I Drive: 2000 Explorer 4x4, 04 Mini Cooper S

Points 4,572, Level 43
Points: 4,572, Level: 43 Points: 4,572, Level: 43 Points: 4,572, Level: 43
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 28 ah1f39 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Is there a link for the brushed aluminum panel?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
zx360
Sticker Whore

Fan#: 32439
What I Drive: 2005 black zx3 ses

Points 16,732, Level 82
Points: 16,732, Level: 82 Points: 16,732, Level: 82 Points: 16,732, Level: 82
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 44 zx360 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (33)
they are on e-bay all the time

instagram @360DSGNS

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.