Do you think 'Car Modding' is worth it? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Official Polls & Surveys

Official Polls & Surveys Please take a moment and participate in our online polls and surveys.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Is 'Car Modding' Worth It?
Yes (Worth it)..... 1,457 82.50%
No (Not Worth it)..... 309 17.50%
Voters: 1766. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Do you think 'Car Modding' is worth it?

So what do you think? Personally unless you spend $15,000 on the car, go insane with performance I feel it's not worth it. Sure you get the 'fun' from it for a while but it does fade out and in the end, your getting 'pennies' for what you actually spent on the car. Not to mention all the problems that come up (example FI applications) among other things including legality issues, tickets, BS like that....

So my question is, in your opinion do you feel 'car modding' is a good thing (worth it) or a bad thing (not worth it)?

Old 10-06-2005, 12:27 PM   #2
MySonOptimusPrime
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 26936
What I Drive: 2000 Toreador Red ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 MySonOptimusPrime Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think its worth it at the time you get the ideas and execute them. But I have just decided, I'm taking her back to stock. I'm 22, getting engaged in the near future, buying a house, and one day I won't even have that car (they don't last forever). I want to kick my own ass for blowing all that money on all that stuff. I could have traded my car in and got something I really wanted. In the long run it's just not worth it.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing MemberCJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySonOptimusPrime View Post
I think its worth it at the time you get the ideas and execute them. But I have just decided, I'm taking her back to stock. I'm 22, getting engaged in the near future, buying a house, and one day I won't even have that car (they don't last forever). I want to kick my own ass for blowing all that money on all that stuff. I could have traded my car in and got something I really wanted. In the long run it's just not worth it.
So why not just leave whatever mods you already have on your ride and enjoy them while you do have the car instead of going back to stock? I mean, if you've already spent the money and have the part installed why take them back out? If you are planning on trading it in, maybe your mods will increase the trade in value of the car. Good luck in your family building endeavors.
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
phdbd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23096
What I Drive: 2000 Toreador Red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 phdbd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Talking Whats worth spending your money on?

[QUOTE=MySonOptimusPrime;741252]I. I'm 22, getting engaged in the near future, buying a house, and one day I won't even have that car (they don't last forever). I want to kick my own ass for blowing all that money on all that stuff. QUOTE]

Hehehe

I'm 38, this is the first car I've done the modding thing with. Sure it's a waste of money but it's the first time that I've been able to afford to customise a car and still do all the other hobbies I enjoy. Before it was whatever transpo gets me to the mountain or the river or on that plane travelling or my bikes.

Now my friends who have "grown up" cars spend 3 x more per month on their car payment than I do modding my car, and theirs are either drab cookie-cutter mobiles (see golf or accord, or S40) or big stupid cookie cutter SUV's. (just count the number of Black Expeditions, bronze Jeep Cherokees or white Yukons you pass on any given day)

By the time you're done, you're income will have surpassed the amount you'd have been able to save by not spending it on having a hobby you enjoy.

And besides, when it's done you'll prolly want to kick your own ass for the money you blew buying that house that you'll lose when she decides she's had enough anyway. So is it worth it? Not on an ROI basis, (if you want resale value buy a Camry.) but what's the ROI on a fine bottle of wine or a nice meal? Or your favourite pet, Or Kids for that matter?

Is it worth it? an interesting mental exercise, but you may as well ask how long is a piece of string?

Jamie
Portland, OR

Last edited by phdbd; 02-19-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Kellert
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101302
What I Drive: 2010, Natural green, SE

FF Reputation: 1 Kellert Good Standing Member
Sometimes there's just not enought time right???
Old 07-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellert View Post
Sometimes there's just not enought time right???
I make time for mods. Your going to do it. You know you want to. You can't get enough= its addicting.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 10-06-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
Alex Arce
Random Guy #31

Fan#: 21050
What I Drive: 04 2.3L stage 2 Roush

FF Reputation: 2 Alex Arce Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
i think its worth it.... just a hobby to entertain me.... i always like to push myself and my car to see what i can do.... i guess it calms me down? as MySonOptimusPrime says they dont last forever but i hope my last a lot longer than i expect.... besides this is not my daily driver... have plenty of other cars... so that kind of expands my Roush's life... im not going to be in a financial situation where i need to save a lot of money so for me this works out great... already have a house and engaged so... im set...
02 Zetec
Old 10-06-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
Lil PZEV
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I think it's worth it, but it definitely depends on your definition of worth I think.

It is NOT financially worth it, and anyone who thinks it is is foolish. If you spend a few hundred and expect to win all sorts of shows and national acclaim and sponsors, you're nuts. If you spend several thousand and expect to see a dollar of it back when you sell (provided you don't part out), you're also nuts.

So in that sense, it's absolutely not worth it.

For me, it's a hobby and I enjoy spending time on the car and making it mine. When I have extra money lying around, I spend it on the car because it makes me happy, and I don't really have anything else to throw my money at. It gives me something to do that I have fun with, and it makes my car feel special, to me. So for me personally, I think it's worth it.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
JiuceBox
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56779
What I Drive: 03 Red ZX5/ 87 Mustang 5.0

FF Reputation: 2 JiuceBox Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil PZEV View Post
I think it's worth it, but it definitely depends on your definition of worth I think.

It is NOT financially worth it, and anyone who thinks it is is foolish. If you spend a few hundred and expect to win all sorts of shows and national acclaim and sponsors, you're nuts. If you spend several thousand and expect to see a dollar of it back when you sell (provided you don't part out), you're also nuts.

So in that sense, it's absolutely not worth it.

For me, it's a hobby and I enjoy spending time on the car and making it mine. When I have extra money lying around, I spend it on the car because it makes me happy, and I don't really have anything else to throw my money at. It gives me something to do that I have fun with, and it makes my car feel special, to me. So for me personally, I think it's worth it.
i agree. im the type of person who likes to change things and "experiment"
being an engineering student i must know why and how things work, and if at all possible make it better.
beside that if you know something can be improved... whythehellnot
Old 07-31-2008, 05:28 AM   #10
focisvt03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2071
What I Drive: 03 Focus SVT Yellow EAP

FF Reputation: 46 focisvt03 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I think "worth it" is kinda a personal thing. To some its a hobby and to some it's a life style. I think thats the diffrence between spending 500 bucks or 15,000 bucks. Personaly I had a honda civic in high school that was paid off my senior year. It was an 95 coupe and lookd great it was lowered new paint job really every thing but fast. I wish I would have "modded" that car for 6000-8000 grand (ie gsr motor turbo ect) instead of buying a 22-23,000 focus that still has 4 payments left. I've said it on here before for a couple grand a can have a great looking, reliable, fun car, that would spank more than half of the rice and jearks with v-6 stangs with dual crome tips (thats paid off) I drive on city streets to work not laguna seca. So for me modding is yes worth it

Bookmarks & Social Networks