Eagle Talon TSi AWD- good toy? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-28-2005, 03:32 AM   #1
svt4chris
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8821
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT 3-door

FF Reputation: 1 svt4chris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Eagle Talon TSi AWD- good toy?

I found out about someone who's selling a '91 Talon TSi AWD with 120k miles on it and minimal problems. The guy who has it now is someone I went to school with, and he's very skilled at working with cars. This one has a new clutch, slightly used tranny, new exhaust, new flywheel, and new pressure plate. Not only that, but he doesn't drive it hard, the body's in good shape, and there are no engine problems. He's trying to sell it to allow for the purchase of a house/condo, and he's asking $3000.

I was wondering if y'all thought this might be a good purchase, as something of a toy to play around with. I love my SVTF, but getting this would allow me to do some tinkering, not to mention that these cars are notorious for being really fast. I'm planning on working my a** off this summer, and if things went well I'd have enough extra money to afford something like this. Good idea, or bad one?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2005, 07:22 AM   #2
ZX4STDoug
I don't care

Fan#: 19367
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang V6 6 speed

Points 7,043, Level 55
Points: 7,043, Level: 55 Points: 7,043, Level: 55 Points: 7,043, Level: 55
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 ZX4STDoug Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
They're relatively bulletproof if maintained properly, and like you said, can me made to go stupid fast. Some of the fastest cars at a recent "import vs domestic" night were DSM cars. Check it out some more, I know there's tons of forums where you can get info regarding known trouble issues etc, but I think it'd be a pretty fun toy car with lots of potential. AWD certainly is a plus in our climate too. Good luck !
Old 05-28-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
Focus Racer S2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14203
What I Drive: 2002 Egg Yolk Yellow ZX3 ATX

FF Reputation: 1 Focus Racer S2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
YES!!! Definately a good anf a fast toy. If you have the chance and the money I would seriously consider it. Those things are pretty fast not to mention there's a lot of aftermarket options for it. I say go for it.
<---<<Zetec Crew #66 / ATX Faction #21>>-->
To modify or not to modify ? ? ? That is the question right now ! ! !
Old 05-28-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
ztecpower
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20083
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-red Ford Focus ZTS-S2

Points 16,159, Level 81
Points: 16,159, Level: 81 Points: 16,159, Level: 81 Points: 16,159, Level: 81
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 ztecpower Good Standing Member
I used to have an 1991 Eclipse GS with the 1.8
But it never gave me any problems, In sport compact car theres an article on fast dsm's
there is one guy who lives in l.a. and he has a 1992 gsx (turbo) and 0-60 times in WET
ground is 3.95 seconds ! OMFG !
Old 05-28-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
svt4chris
Focus Enthusiast

Awesome to hear the positive feedback, I'm thinking of going to have a look at the car today.

What I've found (after surfing a DSM forum) is that these cars can be just fine as long as you stay ahead of the game in terms of keeping certain parts in good working order. Like they said to replace a bunch of stuff right when you get the car. And these cars are NOTORIOUS when it comes to timing belts- get lazy with those, and you'll be buying a new/rebuilt head.

So yea, I'm thinking it might make a fun little toy to play with, but I'll be more certain of the decision once I have a look at this one.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:55 AM   #6
focusedintentions
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7850
What I Drive: 07 Infiniti G35 6mt coupe silver

FF Reputation: 1 focusedintentions Good Standing Member
Yeah...it's a f'in awesome car...can't wait to get another one! I had a 95 Talon TSi AWD...the cars are soo easy to mod to get massive amounts of HP....remove the cat and it's 21 whp alone....the 1st gen like ur looking at has the bigger 14b turbo...the 2nd gen came with a small t25....have fun with it!
My SVT is #604 of 1079
One of 104 with EAP
Old 05-28-2005, 01:01 PM   #7
focusboy0383
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23728
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 Kona

FF Reputation: 1 focusboy0383 Good Standing Member
the 1st gens are awesome because they are so light. the price for that amount of miles seems a little high because the engines have some problems when they get into high miles. they almost all have serious valve tap after like 60k and dont forget everyones favorite, crankwalk. once the endshaft starts giving you even a little bit of play you might as well drive the car into a lake.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:57 PM   #8
Moe-van1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46
What I Drive: SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Moe-van1 Good Standing Member
if you want to do it as a side project and I assume you also have the space/time/money to keep it. Then go for it.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:34 AM   #9
schneller ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 557
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 1997 Mazda Miata

FF Reputation: 1 schneller ZX3 Good Standing Member
I had a 91 Eclipse AWD turbo (GSX). Sure, it was quick, but it was a mechanical nightmare. It always broke down, and was generally a real pita. And it was too heavy. Handling was mediocre, at best. However, Im biased--currently, my other car is a Miata.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:13 PM   #10
svt4chris
Focus Enthusiast

I definitely know that these cars are capable of a slew of problems, but, as I said, I'm under the understanding that it's possible to keep ahead of the break-down curve by keeping track of a few key parts i.e. replacing them religiously.

This would be more of a straight-line car for me, plus I love turbos. As far as handling is concerned, my SVTF is more than up for the job

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.