Spring tune up advice (Synthetics, plugs, etc...) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-28-2005, 04:21 AM   #1
todzilla
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 13445
What I Drive: '02 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 todzilla Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Spring tune up advice (Synthetics, plugs, etc...)

I'm gonna give my car an early spring tune up (prob. the first one - bought my car last Sept.) and I just wanted some advice and if at all possible specs/part numbers for some things.

I'm gonna get new plugs - either NGK Iridiums, Denso Iridiums or Motorcraft coppers. I'm leaning towards the iridiums as they'll only be about $20-30 more a set but may be hard to get. Anyways, does anyone have any part numbers for any of these and any experience changing to one of these brands?

Second is new wires - either F/S 8 mm for about $80, or Ford motorsport 9mm (I believe?) for $?? Are the FocusSports overhyped? Should I save a few bucks and get the bigger Ford wires and if so, do you have a part number?

Third, I'm gonna switch the oil to Mobil 1 5W30 which is certian but the tranny swap to Mobil 1 is a bit iffy....is it just a universal manual tranny fluid or ATX fluid? Is there a specific weight like the crankcase' oil? Anyone have experience swapping the tranny fluid over?

I figure this 'tune-up' should smooth out the idle and maybe give me a little better mileage for couple hundred and last for quite some time so it's a worthwhile investment imo. Any help and advice is appreciated and I have searched all the way back to last August and there are almost no mentions of part number so I thought I'd throw this in !! Thanx, Todd

Old 02-28-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
SVTyrant
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 17003
What I Drive: 05 ZTW ....2004 comp. orange Euro SVTF 5dr.#534 of 1079.

FF Reputation: 1 SVTyrant Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Denso Iriduim part # ITV24
as for as tranny lube goes , i use the Redline MTL
Old 02-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
todzilla
Focus Enthusiast

Thanx - are you happy with both, though the difference is probably minor?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
SVTyrant
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 17003
What I Drive: 05 ZTW ....2004 comp. orange Euro SVTF 5dr.#534 of 1079.

FF Reputation: 1 SVTyrant Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
only thing i noticed with the spark plugs was a faster start-up in really cold temps

the redline seemed to make down shifting a bit smoother and the slight whine the tranny had under hard accleration is gone
Old 02-28-2005, 02:57 PM   #5
WD40
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
The Ford spec for the Getrag tranny fluid is:
MERCON V - ATF, Full Synthetic.

I'm not sure which Redline, or Royal Purple for that matter, would be a match.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:07 PM   #6
svtfocusmansvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6548
What I Drive: 04' Pitch Black SVTF ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 svtfocusmansvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Ford Racing wires run about $39.95 according to the 2004 catalog. Go to Ford Racings site and search their.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:16 PM   #7
crazymechanic
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12900
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 crazymechanic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
you can get the denso iridium plugs from c-f-m.com. I think it's around $50 a set. you might also want to look into a screamin demon coilpack and set of livewires from performance distributors. the coil puts out more power than the stock coil, and the wires a rather high quality, which will help your idle, startup, and smooth out your acceleration a good bit. there are some magazines that show a small HP increase from the coilpack and wires, and I know denso iridium plugs actually do produce more power/tq than stock plugs (been proven on other cars, but I don't know anyone who did a back to back dyno for plug comparison). if you do the coilpack, wires, and plugs, you'll spend around $200 total, and if you don't have a lead foot, your investment should pay for itself in increased gas mileage in about 2 years (yes, I did the math).
Old 02-28-2005, 10:54 PM   #8
Focus87
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 19517
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Focus87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
has anyone here tried the screamin demon coil pack w/ the live wires?
Old 02-28-2005, 11:38 PM   #9
todzilla
Focus Enthusiast

I got some Redline 5W30 synthetic oil but not tranny oil....gonna wait til a flush is actually required. I also got a new K & N conical air filter, some Motorsport 9mm wires, NGK iridium plugs and a new Ford fuel filter and some good concentrated fuel injection cleaner. This will all be installed Tuesday and hopefully I get another 40 hp out of it!!! (obviously kidding!)
Old 02-28-2005, 11:55 PM   #10
focituner
Focus Addict

Fan#: 628
What I Drive: 2004 ZX3 2.3 (DKG1)

FF Reputation: 1 focituner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Don't expect that much...dont wanna see you be upset.....its nott gonna give that much hp at all.

Bookmarks & Social Networks