Transmission Plastic Plug - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #1
defektes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84501
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 defektes Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Transmission Plastic Plug

Hey guys, im having issues finding this part, the metal gasket that goes in between the tranny and engine on a mtx-75 has this plastic plug about the size of a silver dollar. It is right under where the starter goes. After completing my rear main I hit the area with some brake clean and the little plastic plug disintegrated.

Anyone know the part numb for this or what its actual name is?

Old 11-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
That plate is a dissimilar metals plate so the bell housing of the transmission does not cause a reaction to the block its bolted on to. Also so they can close off the area of the bell housing with out making the motor casting larger. Believe most call it a "transmission block plate"

Any rubber grommet will fit will work. I think its usually used a peak hole to inspect items like the flywheel or flex plate with out having to remove the starter.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 11-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
defektes
Focus Enthusiast

I went to every hardware store around here and the only thing close to what would fit is a rubber tapered plug, however, I test fit it and there is barely any clearance to clear the flywheel.

I was thinking to RTV a large 1/2 washer over the hole and JB weld the hole on the washer shut, any objections?
Old 11-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

That's one way to do it, I suppose. I would go to the junk yard and pull one, or shave down the tapered plug you mentioned to have more clearance, or just get a price of plexy glass cut it round and rtv the edge of that. I personally would rather have plastic only around it, not sure if any could be had but what damage could happen if it came loose? Plastic will not cause the damage a metal washer would. Or if the job weld broke off and into the bell housing? Just thoughts.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 11-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
defektes
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
That's one way to do it, I suppose. I would go to the junk yard and pull one, or shave down the tapered plug you mentioned to have more clearance, or just get a price of plexy glass cut it round and rtv the edge of that. I personally would rather have plastic only around it, not sure if any could be had but what damage could happen if it came loose? Plastic will not cause the damage a metal washer would. Or if the job weld broke off and into the bell housing? Just thoughts.
Good points, I would be RTVing that washer on the outside of the housing, I suppose I could RTV the center of the washer too, so if it were to come loose im sure the flywheel would win. That way if it did come off I could replace it or if for whatever reason I needed to peek through it can be removed.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Cut a slit in it also. This is the only real "vent" that the bell housing sees.
Hatch Nation #42

Old 11-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #7
defektes
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
Cut a slit in it also. This is the only real "vent" that the bell housing sees.
Great, will do, thanks for your input it has helped.

Bookmarks & Social Networks